Receiving a cash gift from parents in the UK?

Stewart454

Cannot be definitive when it comes to Australia but you don't pay tax on cash gifts in the UK and I would expect that to be the same in Oz. In the UK you might have to provide evidence of the origin of the money if asked but provided that you do it is not taxable.

The only issue is for IHT (Inheritance Tax) but provided the gifter does not die within 7 years of making the gift then IHT will not apply. I am assuming that the gift exceeds the IHT exempt amount.

You need to consult a professional but I do not think it would be taxable as its a gift and not earnings.

I agree with the getting advice bit.

Obviously if you bank it and earn interest then Mr ATO will want the interest declared on your tax return.

Hi....We have been gifted a decent amount of money by my wife's parents. I presume we'll have to declare this come tax return time? If it is taxable then what percentage will be taxed?:twitcy:

It is not income it is a gift ... so not taxable. The tax implication is that, should the parents both pass in next seven years, the gift needs to firm part if their estate and be subject to inheritance tax. This is on a sliding scale, so would be all of it tomorrow but only a small portion in six years eleven months.

There is no inheritance tax in Australia. You would be liable, as stated earlier, for tax on any interest gained.

Whether there is inheritance tax or not in Australia is irrelevant as the parents are in UK. Inheritance tax is applied to the estate, it is not a tax on the person receiving it and therefore the location of person receiving it is not relevant.

Erm sorry but in the uk ALL income is taxable full stop weather gift or not it "should" be declared and taxed accordingly in most if not all cases it is not but all income is taxable

This is not income, it is a gift. And no it is not taxable.

Guest The Pom Queen
This is not income, it is a gift. And no it is not taxable.

Afaik Rupert is correct and the only tax you would be liable for would be on interest earned

SORRY ALL INCOME IS TAXABLE.

If I gave you 5 quid as a gift that is an "income" that is taxable The fact that you declare it or not that it is a transaction is another story and the tax mans only consern is ALL income is taxable it up to you to tell the truth.

QUOTE=Rupert;1936468444]This is not income, it is a gift. And no it is not taxable.

Hi....We have been gifted a decent amount of money by my wife's parents. I presume we'll have to declare this come tax return time? If it is taxable then what percentage will be taxed?:twitcy:

The amount you described is not assessablbe for taxation purposes.

If I gave you 5 quid as a gift that is an "income" that is taxable The fact that you declare it or not that it is a transaction is another story and the tax mans only consern is ALL income is taxable it up to you to tell the truth.

No a gift is not taxable income. Earnings are taxable, gifts, gambling wins and prizes are not. Plenty of examples where income is not taxable. Please do not try to give advice if you have no knowledge of the subject. As stated previously the only issue to potentially consider is Inheritance Tax for a gift.

Not true. For example pay from the Defence Force reserves is exempt (i.e. not taxable) and income purely of a domestic nature (e.g. pocket money) is not taxable.

As has been said several times already, gifts are not income for tax purposes. Not all receipts are income.

Income is usually taxable, but a gift is not income. A simple google search with the words "gift, taxable, HMRC" and you will soon see that you are wrong. You obviously know nothing about finance or tax, so perhaps best to concede on this one.

Archived