Is your suburb quiet?

Paul2412

Firstly, this might be that I'm just getting old...

Since we've been in Brisbane, we've stayed in 2 inner suburbs (Milton and Auchenflower). In Milton, we had dogs barking pretty much non stop throughout the day and into the evening (to about 9pm), plus there was a house a couple of doors down where a Reds player lived so they were generally on their deck getting drunk most nights that wasn't a game day.

In Auchenflower we are in a unit which generally is pretty quiet especially during the week. At the weekend you can guarantee that they'll be the noise of a party (usually the same unit with some pretty choice language being shouted together with moronic laughter, doof doof music and yelling). It never occurs late, but it's pretty annoying when you are living with the doors and windows open for most of the year.

I'm assuming that this is because it's inner city, and it's where people who like to party quite a bit live. People noise and hearing people having a get together doesn't bother me but it's the moronic yelling, shouting and doof doof that gets me, especially when you're in an apartment.

Just wondering what your suburb is like? Is it party central most weekends or is there dogs barking constantly?

We're looking at moving out in June, slightly further out west (The Gap, Indro, Taringa or Ashgrove) mainly to get more space but if anyone has any experience in these area's I'd be interested to know as well!

I live in wooloowin which is pretty quiet but also close to the city so best of both worlds for me. Also I can walk to pub shops and restaurant which is big criteria for me

The suburb we live in is really quiet. We moved house a month ago to a different part of the same suburb and so far it seems even quieter here than the old place. I haven't heard any dogs here at all. In the old place there was a dog next door and one over the road although we hardly heard either of them bark much. To the extent that when next doors dog barked constantly for over ten minutes one evening my OH went round to see if anything was wrong (it wasn't). There was the odd party near us at the old house but it would usually be over by 10pm. The most noise in the new house is from next doors small children and lawn mower. All during the day. We do occasionally get annoyed by next door the other way talking outside after 10pm, but they aren't that loud really and never there for that long.

I think the thing that makes this place quiet is the large number of older people who live here. And families with young(ish) kids. And there are no pubs or hotels close by so it doesn't tend attract people looking for nightlife locally. Suits me down to the ground but others would find it boring. I'm in South Australia so I can't recommend quieter suburbs in Brisbane, but look for somewhere with a high proportion of elderly people if you really want quiet.

Guest Guest40285

I live out in the hills, the neighbours are few and far between, the only dogs I hear are the wild feral ones and plenty of wildlife, country boy all me life, lived in a unit in Sydney when I first came to Aus, I nearly went mental with all the noise.

Guest Guest40285
Sounds fabulous Matt- are they feral dogs or dingos?

Packs of feral dogs, the rangers have been baiting with 1080 this last week, I have shot 7 this year, rarely you see a dingo, very rare but. All the feral dogs are dingo x german shephard looking things, nasty buggers.

We used to live in Paddington (Brisbane), hated it because of noise. Moved slightly further out and it's quiet as. We live in a suburb of young families and retirees, it's lovely and quiet nearly all the time. No parties, no night time noise. Just people doing their gardens during day at weekends, or sometimes the young children here and there. That's about it!

We used to live in Paddington (Brisbane), hated it because of noise. Moved slightly further out and it's quiet as. We live in a suburb of young families and retirees, it's lovely and quiet nearly all the time. No parties, no night time noise. Just people doing their gardens during day at weekends, or sometimes the young children here and there. That's about it!

Which suburb are you in now? It's a difficult one wanting peace and quiet but not having that feeling of isolation!

Guest The Pom Queen

No its too noisy, we have the waterfall at the side of us running in wet season, we have the green tree frogs singing in the rain, we have the kookaburras laughing, cicadas whistling, the sound of the wind working its way through the rainforest, lol I don't know how we manage to sleep :wink:

I live in a very built up area on the gold coast and lived in a complex now living in the same suburb on a circuit and have never been troubled with noise from animals or neighbours ...the suburb I live in is mainly rentals and has been classed by some as kiwi ville and little Britain ..the rent is low compared to other areas of the GC but I do know of others in more affluent areas that are having problems with noisy neighbours ..so I guess its not where you live but whom you live amongst that is the problem ...

Depends on your definition of quiet, but there is always noise when you live near other people I think, be it dogs or children or parties etc. I think people could just be more considerate than they are, they don't seem to care how much noise they make in their house bounds.

Archived