We need to give it a go or are we too late !

Austheplan14

Is it too late to leave uk  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is it too late to leave uk

• Over 40
    • Over 50
    • Over 50 with kids

51 year old operational manager with 30 years experience of leading large teams and large projects, My good lady has 30 years experience in cild care (after school clubs) and we have a 12 year old son who wants the move as much as us. We have family in Melbourne who have now gained citizenship but we have a view that Perth more our kind of climate

Waffle over have we shot the bolt and it is now too late or are there avenues for work without having a specific trade in my hands

Hi there,

Welcome to PIO. Not sure I can be of much help but there is an abundance of knowledge on this forum and someone will undoubtably be along shortly to advise. (Don't forget those down under will now be asleep!)

Just wanted to say hi and wish you luck!

Mrs K x

Welcome to PIO

At your age you are no longer eligible for skilled migration. Your only way of getting a visa would be employer sponsorship for temp residency on a 457 visa. And the chance of making this to a PR for many people is very difficult. Your occupation also needs to be on the CSOL to be eligible for sponsorship.

The only age exemption there is to be able to gain PR is through employer sponsorship, but you need to have worked for the same employer for 4 years making the high income threshold for each of those years - which is currently around $130,000.

On a 457 visa you will be have to pay school fees of around £5000, is some states, WA starts charging Jan 2015.

The thing about 457 visas, if you lose or leave your job you have 90 days to find a new employer of leave Australia.

You may have left it to late to be able to get a visa, as your situation relies on finding a sponsor, which is often not an easy thing to find.

Honestly? - you've left it too late. You couldnt even begin to build a half decent retirement pot even if you could get a visa (would have to be a pretty precarious one anyway because of your age). Your jobs dont appear to be that much out of the box that you would leap into jobs unfortunately - age discrimination is rife in Australia just to add to the possible barriers.

I agree with the above but has someone who never listens to advice when there is an adventure to be had, I will offer a potential way forward - how old is your wife? Could her experience be considered 'child care centre manager'?

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/c/child-care-centre-manager.htm

I believe it is currently on the CSOL which would mean she could apply for skilled migration which reduces some of the concerns people express.

Personally I'd say, stay where you are - work hard, save hard and when your son flies the nest in 6-8 years hit the grey nomad trail and holiday in Australia, you can stay for up to a year at a time.

If your son is keen on Australia then he can consider occupations which are most likely to allow him to migrate (& you can spend 6 months of the year visiting!)

Hi, To all who have replied assuming all can see, just wanted to say thanks for the swift replies.

It does appear age is against us ha if only our Son in Australia had got married a few years ago we would have visited sooner !!!! Been 3 times since and love it

On the point of retirement point having worked for Royal Mail in the UK for 32 years have a good lump sum and pension pot that will kick in when that age arises dont know if that helps.

Sponsorship and ageism looks to be the main stumbling block from your feedback sadly

Will keep looking and see if anything opens up but looks like a long long period at this rate

Hi, To all who have replied assuming all can see, just wanted to say thanks for the swift replies.

It does appear age is against us ha if only our Son in Australia had got married a few years ago we would have visited sooner !!!! Been 3 times since and love it

On the point of retirement point having worked for Royal Mail in the UK for 32 years have a good lump sum and pension pot that will kick in when that age arises dont know if that helps.

Sponsorship and ageism looks to be the main stumbling block from your feedback sadly

Will keep looking and see if anything opens up but looks like a long long period at this rate

You have a son in Australia? Depending if you meet the eligibility there is parent visas, but you would need to go down the contributory parent visa route, which would be expensive $100,000. But you would have PR in about 2 years, with work rights.

The best thing you could do would be to run everything past a registered migration agent to see if there is a viable path for you.

Archived