WHV Alone Or With Someone?

danielh6900

Planning on going WHV to Aus end of 2014. I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on travelling alone or with someone.

I know that if there's two of you, you'll need to find a job which will employ you both.

If there's two of you, a car and transportation may be cheaper due to being shared.

Thoughts?

Cheers in advance.

Dan.

Alone!!

I started off with a good friend from Uni. The problem is, although she was lovely, she was so quiet and shy. She didn't want to do anything without me and it got really upset if I went out with friends from work or anything. In the end, I had to say that I wanted to travel alone as I found it so restricting. After that I had the time of my life!

In hostels, you meet people constantly. You arrive in a room and within an hour are heading out to a bar or for dinner. You will find people to share lifts with etc as you go.

It is only my experience, but I would definitely advise alone!

Going alone - easy to get a job, more costs, more freedom

Going with 1 or more - harder to find a job together, cheaper costs less freedom

Going alone means your never alone if you stay in hostels, because you can easily meet people, and car buy cars/ get house shares together.

Its a trade off.

Hi, I was the same nervous to travel by myself but ive done it! gone and got my visa and plan to travel on my own in July. Im lucky I have a few people I know out there but I want that freedom to go where I want when I want also I love my friends to much to let them undure a year with me travelling! Have you decided where you would like to go first? I'm heading to melbourne. get my reginal work out the way then its the great ocean road for me to adelaide. Good luck and happy travelling

Hi, I was the same nervous to travel by myself but ive done it! gone and got my visa and plan to travel on my own in July. Im lucky I have a few people I know out there but I want that freedom to go where I want when I want also I love my friends to much to let them undure a year with me travelling! Have you decided where you would like to go first? I'm heading to melbourne. get my reginal work out the way then its the great ocean road for me to adelaide. Good luck and happy travelling

I also am planning to travel on a WHV to Melbourne and get my regional work out of the way first. I haven't even invited any of my friends because they aren't adventurous enough to go to OZ for a year or two. I did tell them of my plans I guess. I will be heading to Sydney though after Melbourne. Nothing is for sure yet but this is my plan so far.

I went with someone I was in a relationship with at the time however if I was single at the time and had the choice of going alone or with a friend I wouldn've gone alone. I met a lot of people along the way who were doing it on their own and I really admired them (and was a bit envious when my boyfriend at the time and I nearly split up a couple of months in!)

I came here alone. I thought for sure that once I bought a car I would find a job because of flexibility. 3 months later and I've earned less than $1000 and spent almost all of my savings with little hope of finding more work. I also got cheated out of a week's pay by my insane, aggressive Australian boss. When I complained to FWO about being cheated they responded by saying thank you, your complaint has been filed in our system, we will not investigate. I've reached the point that if I actually found a job in Australia I would be skeptical that they weren't trying to scam me in some way. Yeah...

• 2 weeks later...

i have found this thread extremely helpful! i am also leaving the UK at the end of this year/start of next at the very latest, and im heading to melbourne...on my own!! iv already got flights planned but not yet booked because someone i know works as an air hostess and she can get me 50% off flights to australia :D:D im also going to be doing my 3 months of specified work in melbourne and then im thinking of moving onto somewhere else, maybe sydney for some of the sight seeing and activities.

this thread has helped me a lot, thanks folks :)

Good luck Scott you will have an amazing Aussie adventure no doubt! You will fall in love with the country! It's so diverse and amazing and so much to see!

Just to clarify you won't find your regional work (if this is what you meant by specific work) in Melbourne itself. Although you may find it in plenty of places around VIC

thanks jalapeno. im looking forward to it so much! hopefully il end up not returning to the UK haha.

yeah i know this. i think im going spend the first month or so chilling out and getting used to my surroundings a bit, and then il start looking for places to do my regional work.

hey AnthonyP. thats cool :) yeah i think i am. at first before i made the decision i was very nervous because itl be a hard first month or so for me as iv never been outside the UK myself, never mind europe, and im only 21 haha. but yeah, i think im travelling myself although i have a step brother who says he can take a year out of his work to come with me but i dont know what his final decision is.

howcome? :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have never travelled alone but it was obvious that I wanted to leave alone. I am leaving in September. I was planning to spend at least a year in Australia and that is such a long commitment with a friend. Also I think that you will meet a lot more people and tend to talk with them when you are alone so you kinda "have to" make friends. You can also make your travel plans etc more freely. These are just my thoughts and lets see if I was right when I arrive in Australia! :D

I have never travelled alone but it was obvious that I wanted to leave alone. I am leaving in September. I was planning to spend at least a year in Australia and that is such a long commitment with a friend. Also I think that you will meet a lot more people and tend to talk with them when you are alone so you kinda "have to" make friends. You can also make your travel plans etc more freely. These are just my thoughts and lets see if I was right when I arrive in Australia! :D

I was an older WHV at 27 and had one aussie friend- lucky me, i got to know lots of people that way, but i still had adventures on my own. Australia is very safe to travel around as long as you aren't silly; lots of young people doing it all the time, all up for an adventure, and obviously, we have good health care, english as a first language and tourism is a massive industry. don't be scared- people do it all the time. wish i could do it again!

I did this in my young twenties and did it a few different ways! I made the initial journey from the UK to OZ, on my own, had an amazing time meeting new people, striking new relationships, and travelling with my new friends in a direction that we mutually found interesting. Then the time may come where they needed to go home, or go west when I was going north etc, so we shook hands, off our own way, and made more friends. Same happened again at the new hostel, and so on and so forth! At some points I bumped/arranged to meet the same people when our paths crossed. It was a pleasant experience. Then I had a friend from uni join me for a 3 month stint which was also good, he brought one friend he made in sydney and I brought one I made in adelaide, and together we went in a car i had bought and did some travelling. Again, it was a means to an end, a way to split the costs, and after a few months one dropped out.

I also saw a number of travellers who went as a pair...and without sounding negative, almost all (if not all) ended up splitting up,,.,this included couples in a relationship....I also (being a bit older now) put this down to us all being very young (18-25) and individual at the time.

The flip side of this were the mature® twenties gang...the couples, and friends, who were 26+...these people were more mature, committed to their relationships, were often structured & had a plan, partied less, had more money from their real lives before hand, and generally got on with each other throughout their travelling!

Archived