Minimum work experience required to apply for PR

Priyanka

Hi,

I am based out of India. I have a B.Tech. in Computer Science and 3 year work experience in IT industry in India itself.

1. I want to apply for PR. I talked to a consultant and she said the minimum work experience required for Asians to apply is 4 years. Is that true?

I don't see it mentioned on the website though.

2. I want to do a culinary course from Australia. I was thinking of going on a student visa and then apply for PR (skillset: software engineer) along as the course goes on.

The consultant (based out of India, runs a office to help people with visas for australia) said that if I am doing an unrelated course and apply for PR in a different skillset it would affect my application. Is it true? Sounds logical to me.

Please let me know if anyone has some insights on these two queries of mine.

Thanks You,

Priyanka

It is getting harder to be invited to obtain pr visas these days. You need to have a skill on the skills list and the relevant experience to obtain the points required. Only so many visa invitations are issued each round, not everyone who applies will be invited. Also lists are altered to reflect current job vacancies. Take the time to do some research by reading the threads in the migration section.

Yes, your pr visa would be refused if you applied before your course finished. It is a ridiculous rule, which caught quite a few people out.

The amount of work experience needed is to pass the skills assessment. It doesn't matter what county you are from.

Yes, your pr visa would be refused if you applied before your course finished. It is a ridiculous rule, which caught quite a few people out.

Sorry to butt in, but is this always true, or only if the course is unrelated to the skilled occupation? I was thinking of doing something similar (applying for PR while doing a masters degree course in Australia), but my course will be directly related to my skilled occupation. Should I re-think this strategy?

Yes you have to have the skills and the points for the job you are using for your visa. for instance you could have a degree, phd whatever but your preference is to work in something else you need experience and the relevant certificates to be employed. Therefore its not as easy asit was. This is due to some shonky people running courses and getting people here outside the guidelines. They have really tightened up on student visas and even if students study here they no longer can stay afterwards, they have to do the same as all other immigrants apply for a visa.

Sorry to butt in, but is this always true, or only if the course is unrelated to the skilled occupation? I was thinking of doing something similar (applying for PR while doing a masters degree course in Australia), but my course will be directly related to my skilled occupation. Should I re-think this strategy?

Sorry, I'm not totally sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the replies.

So what do we conclude here? Are we not sure or we think that there would be an issue if I would be doing a course in something else while applying for my PR or it will be fine if I apply for a PR while doing another course which is unrelated to PR skillset?

Thank You.

Sorry, I'm not totally sure.

There is no specific work experience requirement for a permanent visa application HOWEVER, for all points tested visas (189, 190 and 489) and for direct entry permanent subclass 186 ENS visas, a mandatory requirement is that you must have already obtained a positive skills assessment. The ACS is the organisation responsible for assessment of IT occupations and THEY have work experience requirements. If you can't get a positive skills assessment from the ACS, you can't apply for any permanent visa other than an employer sponsored 187 RSMS visa.

http://www.acs.org.au/migration-skills-assessment ACS skills assessment

I talked to a MARA registered agent and she told me that it does not matter what you are doing now. Your education and experience matters till the point you have submitted the skillset application.

Thanks for reporting back with this answer. It's helpful for me too! :)

There is no specific work experience requirement for a permanent visa application HOWEVER, for all points tested visas (189, 190 and 489) and for direct entry permanent subclass 186 ENS visas, a mandatory requirement is that you must have already obtained a positive skills assessment. The ACS is the organisation responsible for assessment of IT occupations and THEY have work experience requirements. If you can't get a positive skills assessment from the ACS, you can't apply for any permanent visa other than an employer sponsored 187 RSMS visa.

http://www.acs.org.au/migration-skills-assessment ACS skills assessment

There is for some visas. The 187 now has minimum work experience required. Confusingly this isn't always the same for each job.

I have been told that the student visa rules are also stringent now. Has there been any recent changes in the student visa rules?

My visa comes under non streamlined visa processing. The visa agent told me that it is difficult for me to get a student visa as I have a different background (have IT background). My profile might show that I am at a high risk of immigration. I want to go for a culinary course basically certificate 3 from le cordon. She also said that to get sponsored and work is difficult for people after certificate courses. Is it true? Does anyone have any knowledge about the same in culinary industry?

I wanted to apply for PR alongside the culinary course (in IT skillset) but I am not sure why it is being suggested that I will not get a PR. Is there specific rule regarding that?

Thank You.

So the rules didn't change for some 187 applicants last year?

I have been told that the student visa rules are also stringent now. Has there been any recent changes in the student visa rules?

My visa comes under non streamlined visa processing. The visa agent told me that it is difficult for me to get a student visa as I have a different background (have IT background). My profile might show that I am at a high risk of immigration. I want to go for a culinary course basically certificate 3 from le cordon. She also said that to get sponsored and work is difficult for people after certificate courses. Is it true? Does anyone have any knowledge about the same in culinary industry?

I wanted to apply for PR alongside the culinary course (in IT skillset) but I am not sure why it is being suggested that I will not get a PR. Is there specific rule regarding that?

Thank You.

The only way to know for sure s to apply and see what happens. But yes someone from a HR country with a background in IT wanting to do a cookery course is going to get some scrutiny. If you are thinking of applying for skilled migration a anyway, why ñot forget about the cookery course and just focus on that.

Archived