Can't find a job

Hi all,

We recently arrived in Melbourne 5th February 2014. We emigrated as we loved it here back in 2007-07 when we backpacked.

My lady is a school teacher and has landed a job with her old boss. We absolutely love Australia but some companies seem so bllody laid back and lazy. Now here is where I need some advice as I can imagine that well over 90% of people don't have a job to go to when they first arrive.

I, despite the fact that I have seen loads of jobs and now applied for 50 odd through Seek.com, Hays, Careerone, my career, etc I have yet to receive a single phone call. I have had several thanks but no thanks emails.

I used to be on 40k a year in the UK, I fitted tracking systems into ambulance, police cars, army vehicles, I also did pcb repairs down to component level. All training was in house. Therefore I don't have a certificate but I was always soldering and what not.

So having loads of knock backs I lowered my sights to a warehouse position order picking. I did this when I was younger so it is a breeze I know. Again, thank you for your application, but we regret to inform that you have been unsuccessful in this application. I ask for feedback and receive nothing. I have stated on my resume that I have had no sick days in nearly four years and still nothing.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I doing something wrong? I just don't get it. I really feel like turning up at some companies and giving them a slap for missing out on a really good hard worker. I am baffled.

Just be patient. I'm here in Sydney arrived September and had a job from day one. My wife arrived 5th if January and she applied probably 400 jobs at least. She is a CIMA/CPA management accountant. She just started in a pharmaceutical company yesterday.

I'm also applying for jobs since beginning of jam and just started to get reply and getting interviews lined up as want to change a job.

I'm a vehicle technician. So my advice don't give up and keep applying. Someone will give you a chance.

Guest The Pom Queen

Welcome to the forum hun. I am sorry you are struggling to find a job in Melbourne, hang in there something will come along, it is a case of being in the right place at the right time.

One thing I would suggest and it is something I had to do when I came over to be able to work with Wildlife, look on the TAFE website and see what course/qualification your experience would fit in to. Personally I have no idea about your job, but lets say for example you use to be a mechanic, at TAFE they have a Cert III take a look at the Units of the course http://www.chisholm.edu.au/Courses/Certificate_III/Automotive_Body_Repair_Technology if it's something you know you could do with your eyes closed then email the TAFE with your experience, CV and any references and ask them if you could RPL through the course. Now different TAFES do it different ways, I went for a Cert IV they came out to my home and spent 2/3 hours with me testing my knowledge, at the end she said I had passed and they sent me my Cert IV certificate out within 7 days. Now I know some TAFES do charge for this so you would have to check with each individual TAFE. Also it could be a case that you need to do one or two units which would still work out cheaper than paying for the full course. Some people prefer you to have Australian qualifications, probably because they don't understand what the UK ones are.

Another way although it wont get you money in is to try and do some volunteering, as sometimes it's not what you know but who you know. Also don't rely on SEEK etc go door knocking. Good luck with it and please don't take it personal and don't give up.

Kate

Ps I will move your post to Jobs and Careers.

Thanks for the quick replies, I remember last time we were here it took up to a month to get replies sometimes but I found work right away. I found it weird that if a company wants to hire someone, they run the risk of losing the best candidates by taking their time with the application process.

What do you do as a vehicle technician Chubbs? As I fitted tracking systems into government funded vehicles I thought it would be a breeze to get a job here. Oh well, I'll stick at it. I'll keep y'all posted on the outcome.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for the quick replies, I remember last time we were here it took up to a month to get replies sometimes but I found work right away. I found it weird that if a company wants to hire someone, they run the risk of losing the best candidates by taking their time with the application process.

What do you do as a vehicle technician Chubbs? As I fitted tracking systems into government funded vehicles I thought it would be a breeze to get a job here. Oh well, I'll stick at it. I'll keep y'all posted on the outcome.

I know one poor guy went for his dream job, great wage, company car, he never heard anything so carried on job hunting, another 500 applications later he found a job, loved it although there was no car and less money he had more family time and would you beleive it 6 months after he had applied for that perfect dream job he received a letter to say it was his. He didn't take them up on it though.

So yes be warned that it can take them a while (hopefully not 6 months in your case) to come back to you.

I used to work on Mercedes trucks and then Vauxhall in the uk. But in the past 7 years worked on sweepers and floor cleaners. Now here in Aus working on tractors at the moment. But got a job offer from one of the sweeper companies in Sydney. Also interviews lined up for diesel/truck/plant mechanic.

Have a look at the TAFE courses as suggested by Pom Queen and don't give up. Just keep applying to jobs you think you could do :)

Hi Pom Queen

You said you had to go to TAFE as you work with wildlife,

I too would ideally want to work with wildlife when I get to Australia . I will have just finished my BTEC Level 3 in Animal management and already picked up some work experience in a wildlife rescue centres and a zoo. Do you think its a good idea for me to get an Australian Qualificationtoo ? I'm not sure what the Equivalent to that is in Australia or if they would recognise it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sdavis654
http://www.chisholm.edu.au/Courses/Certificate_III/Automotive_Body_Repair_Technology if it's something you know you could do with your eyes closed then email the TAFE with your experience, CV and any references and ask them if you could RPL through the course.....

I just wanted to find out what you meant by RPL?? (sorry if this is a stupid question!!)

I'm too looking for jobs in Melbourne, preferably in the tourism industry, but so far having no luck with not too many jobs coming up on searches. I have a really good degree from the UK and experience in the field but i feel that this isn't getting recognised by companies in OZ. Taking this TAFE idea would be good though

Hi all,

Good news, about my 70th application I now have work. Only casual,but ongoing. It's at Coca Cola in Moorabin. It is refurbishing the vending machines that you see in train stations and festivals all over the place. It's a start, good prospects. So go forth and smash them up and keep me in a job!!!

:-)

I just wanted to find out what you meant by RPL?? (sorry if this is a stupid question!!)

I'm too looking for jobs in Melbourne, preferably in the tourism industry, but so far having no luck with not too many jobs coming up on searches. I have a really good degree from the UK and experience in the field but i feel that this isn't getting recognised by companies in OZ. Taking this TAFE idea would be good though

RPL = Recognition of Prior Learning ie UK qualifications recognized as being either equivalent of contributing to some Aus qualifications.

Guest Sdavis654
RPL = Recognition of Prior Learning ie UK qualifications recognized as being either equivalent of contributing to some Aus qualifications.

Thank you for that!

Archived