Yet another hurdle!

ItchyFeet76

Hurdle after hurdle, that's all we seem to come up against! Originally planning on a 457 as we don't get enough points, we realised we COULD get enough points if my husband did the IELTS and we got state sponsorship. We've spent the last couple of weeks getting references together for his skills assessment and that has proved tricky enough, with old employers being difficult, jobsworthy ("company policy not to specify duties" !!!), etc. But we cleared that hurdle and are almost ready to get them certified. Then we found out my husband's MCSA has been removed from the list of qualifications ACS recognises. Fair enough, we though, at least we still have his CREST CCT (the highest-achievable qualification in his sphere of IT).

So. We're basing our 60 points on achieving either a diploma and high IELTS score, or a degree and lesser IELTS score. He has neither of these but we were hoping his 8 years' experience and multitude of qualifications (though not recognised for skills-assessment purposes) would equate to either of the above. Oh, and he also has a C&G part 1.

We've struggled to get our heads around understanding the 190 process, and have made numerous phone calls to DIBP (and emails to Victoria). Now we're self-confirmed experts (!) but unfortunately we found out last night that ACS doesn't recognise CREST for skills assessments...despite their affiliation with CREST on their website!

So now we're basically screwed. Even with 8 on the IELTS and 8 years' experience, we only get 55 points (inc. the 5 for state sponsorship) as we don't have any recognised qualifications. I rang DIBP and asked how we prove we have the EQUIVALENT of these, and they said "skills assessment". So do we go back to ACS now and say, look, I know you don't recognise his quals for skills assess, but can you please tell us if the combined value of them all is at least a diploma...??!

Failing all else, we'll have to stick with the original plan of going on a 457 and then, after 2 years, going down the 186 transitional route. It's just a pain because it's more risky and we want to buy a house after a few months - not a few years! - and wanted to get the stamp duty concession / $10k grant that PRs get. Also, if school fees come in then we'll have to return to the UK as our budget is based on a salary PLUS super and we've been told that the salary will actually INCLUDE super, so now we're going to be struggling to even break even :-(

Feel really down. This has been 10 years in the making, and we were really beginning to feel like this year would be our year to finally make the move... :cry:

Guest Guest 47403
Don't ACS accept an RPL as a substitute for actual qualifications? They used to.

That's what I was going to say.

I think you just need to get the skills assessment done and see where you stand, ACS can't really tell you the outcome of a skills assessment before they actually do it.

That's what I was going to say.

I think you just need to get the skills assessment done and see where you stand, ACS can't really tell you the outcome of a skills assessment before they actually do it.

Yes, my oh has been looking into that. I think we'll definitely have to do an RPL alongside the skills assessment (an extra $550 but it'll be worth it if it works), but it's not the skills assessment I'm so worried about (slightly concerned, but not too worried...) - it's figuring out how to get his vendor certifications (Microsoft) & CREST (none of which are applicable for his skills assess) equated to either a diploma or a degree.

We did have one thought:- If his skills assessment comes back positive for his specified occupation (262112) then maybe DIBP will see that, on their website, the skill level of this occupation is commensurate with a Bachelor Degree, and accept his claim for points in this regard...?

Thanks for your help anyway Baz / NickyNook :-)

Guest Guest 47403
Yes, my oh has been looking into that. I think we'll definitely have to do an RPL alongside the skills assessment (an extra $550 but it'll be worth it if it works), but it's not the skills assessment I'm so worried about (slightly concerned, but not too worried...) - it's figuring out how to get his vendor certifications (Microsoft) & CREST (none of which are applicable for his skills assess) equated to either a diploma or a degree.

We did have one thought:- If his skills assessment comes back positive for his specified occupation (262112) then maybe DIBP will see that, on their website, the skill level of this occupation is commensurate with a Bachelor Degree, and accept his claim for points in this regard...?

Thanks for your help anyway Baz / NickyNook :-)

The skills assessment will indicate at what level they judge his qualifications for awarding points, very highly unlikely to be commensurate with a Bachelor Degree though.

... very highly unlikely to be commensurate with a Bachelor Degree though.

Why do you think this? We're hoping it will be (or a diploma, at least) as it says this on the DIBP website about my oh's occupation:- This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).

Tbh, we'd be happy with a diploma as at least we get points for that (as opposed to none!)... :-/

Guest Guest 47403
Why do you think this? We're hoping it will be (or a diploma, at least) as it says this on the DIBP website about my oh's occupation:- This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).

Tbh, we'd be happy with a diploma as at least we get points for that (as opposed to none!)... :-/

Very hard to achieve degree points by RPL alone, I looked into it when we first started the visa process as we were going to claim partner points but when the points system changed it was in our favour and we didn't need partner points, state sponsorship or all 8's in the IELTS in the end, have you spoke to a migration agent may be worth running everything past one get an expert opinion.

Hmmm ok, didn't realise that :-( I think we're going to have to run with the RPL, see what qualification it translates my oh's experience into, submit said 'qualification' for skills assessment and start praying ;-)

Not looked into migration agent as can't afford one, things are really tight away as we're having to save £15k to make the move (and if we go earlier than planned we'll be taking less £££ over). However, if all else fails then we may have to bite the bullet and use one if it's our only chance of success, but at the moment we're confident we can do it on our own (it's not lack of knowledge that's proving difficult but lack of certainty over my husband's eligibility and we don't want to waste $7'920 by not getting the points we need and had bargained on getting...).

What's your occupation, Baz, if you don't mind my asking a personal question? I wish I could get 5 points for me but I only did 1 year of a degree (which gave me a CertHE - or "Certificate of Higher Education") :-(

Sorry not relivant to your problems but what's this 10k grant consession you speak of. If its the 15k fthol don't be fooled its not all a bed of roses it also is only currently avalable until June this year.

Hi there, do you mean for SA and / or Taz? They're the only states who are ending it this June, afaik. Victoria doesn't have a date of stopping it...yet!

Here's where I found that info:- http://www.homeloanadvicecentre.com.au/tools/fhogandstampduty.php

Hmmm ok, didn't realise that :-( I think we're going to have to run with the RPL, see what qualification it translates my oh's experience into, submit said 'qualification' for skills assessment and start praying ;-)

Not looked into migration agent as can't afford one, things are really tight away as we're having to save £15k to make the move (and if we go earlier than planned we'll be taking less £££ over). However, if all else fails then we may have to bite the bullet and use one if it's our only chance of success, but at the moment we're confident we can do it on our own (it's not lack of knowledge that's proving difficult but lack of certainty over my husband's eligibility and we don't want to waste $7'920 by not getting the points we need and had bargained on getting...).

What's your occupation, Baz, if you don't mind my asking a personal question? I wish I could get 5 points for me but I only did 1 year of a degree (which gave me a CertHE - or "Certificate of Higher Education") :-(

Have you ran your case past a registered migration agent- even if you had to pay a small fee for them to do a full assessment of your case, it may be worth it.

The information on the DIBP page said that you can substitute experience for a qualification to be able to obtain a positive skills assessment. But you can not substitute experience for a qualification for the points test - you need the qualification that is comparable to an Australain qualification to be able to gain the points.

Have you ran your case past a registered migration agent- even if you had to pay a small fee for them to do a full assessment of your case, it may be worth it.

The information on the DIBP page said that you can substitute experience for a qualification to be able to obtain a positive skills assessment. But you can not substitute experience for a qualification for the points test - you need the qualification that is comparable to an Australain qualification to be able to gain the points.

Hi there, do you mind my asking where you found that info (about not being able to sub exp for qual for points)? The person at the Europe Service Centre (DIBP advice line in the UK) said our assessing authority (i.e. ACS) have to assess my oh's qualifications and state what they equate to. Worst-case scenario, we'd hope to get his quals equated to "An award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation". ...

The applicant has:

attained a qualification or award recognised

by the relevant assessing authority for the

applicant’s nominated skilled occupation as

being suitable for the occupation - 10 points

This is a date of invitation criterion.

Do not rely on DIBP help lines, or other DIBP advice, unless you have money to burn.

Ah ok, so as I understand it our RPL will translate experience into a qualification, and then we submit that 'qualification' for a skills assessment, which will then be used to prove our points. Or we could just start with the skills assessment as it says on their website that if there is insufficient evidence then they recommend you change it to an RPL (for just another $50, as opposed to $550!).

Hi lebourvellec,

Do you have the link for that DIBP page?

This is the part i'm having trouble understanding - whether I can use a successful RPL application to gain points in qualifications from DIBP.

Hi lebourvellec,

Do you have the link for that DIBP page?

This is the part i'm having trouble understanding - whether I can use a successful RPL application to gain points in qualifications from DIBP.

My reply was in response to the op expecting 15 points for not having a degree if they manage to

get a positive skills assessment from an occupation that usually requires a degree qualification.

We've just received the certified docs back so my oh is hopefully going to commence his skills assessment tomorrow, and if they say we've provided insufficient evidence then we shall pay the extra $50 and convert to an RPL instead. As I understand it, and RPL would allow ACS to look at qualifications not accepted for a skills assessment (e.g. MCSA, CREST, etc.) and equate them to a formal Australian qualification, which we then use to redo a skills assessment (or 'simply' use the RPL to claim points for whatever qualification they 'assign' him).

Have I got this right...? :confused:

The applicant has:

attained a qualification or award recognised

by the relevant assessing authority for the

applicant’s nominated skilled occupation as

being suitable for the occupation - 10 points

This is a date of invitation criterion.

Do not rely on DIBP help lines, or other DIBP advice, unless you have money to burn.

Never heard of "date of invitation criterion" - what is this, please?! (excuse my ignorance). The Europe Service Centre was an 0207 number so free for us to call (we get free landline calls on our telephone package with Sky). Unfortunately, despite having rang three times, I never got to speak to a native English person and struggled to understand their accents (and them, mine, quite possibly), plus it was a really quiet line and I had the kids in the background... :arghh:

The best we can hope for is that the skills assessment (or RPL, more likely) assess my husband's experience and qualifications as a 'recognised award relevant to his occupation' - which they obviously are as they're all IT quals and IT is all he's ever done!

I thought the time you applied immediately suceeded the time of invitation!? Well I guess it's a waiting game now, as my husband completed his skills assessment last night. We're assuming they'll say "insufficient evidence" and tell us to change it to an RPL but it's worth a try :-)

The best we can hope for is that the skills assessment (or RPL, more likely) assess my husband's experience and qualifications as a 'recognised award relevant to his occupation' - which they obviously are as they're all IT quals and IT is all he's ever done!

I submitted my skills assessment in January (stilll waiting to hear back).

I have a BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studies which i'm sure is NOT comparable to an AQF Diploma or above. I'm expecting to be asked to do RPL instead.

As I understand it (in my case), because I will have no qualifications effectively, I will not be able to claim 10 skillselect qualifications points. Or have I mis-read things? Can my RPL be used to, quote, "receive 10 points for any other qualification or award which is recognised as suitable for your nominated occupation in your skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority" (source: http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx)

Archived