Resident Return Visa

Madasacutsnake

Morning Poms,

We are PR and have been for 2.5 years via 457 ENS.

The plan is to leave Australia mid April 2014, we wish to leave the door open so to speak. My understanding is that we will obtain an RRV before leaving Australia, I have a few questions around this that I'd be grateful to get some guidance on.

• Does each member of the family require a RRV or is one enough to cover the whole family?
  • Our original PR has 2.5 years left on it, should we let the remaining time elapse and apply for RRV offshore effectively giving us 7.5 years total before we have to make our minds up as to where home is?

Cheers

How long have you been in Australia in total? In other words how long were you on a 457 before getting PR?

For citizenship you need to have been here for 4 years of which at least the last 12 months needs to be as a permanent resident. Might be easier to get that rather than mess around with RRVs.

How long have you been in Australia in total? In other words how long were you on a 457 before getting PR?

For citizenship you need to have been here for 4 years of which at least the last 12 months needs to be as a permanent resident. Might be easier to get that rather than mess around with RRVs.

Hi fourcorners thanks for the reply.

We have been down under for about 5 years with 2.5 yrs on 457, we don't really want to go for citizenship at this stage however I do agree it would be easier in the long run. Does anyone know how we will fair on the RRV front and do we have to put it in place before departure?

Hi,

I came back to UK on an RRV which cancelled out the remaining 18 months on my PR. I did it this way as I understood it to be easier to obtain the RRV whilst I was still in Australia as opposed to trying to obtain it from the UK and I didn't want to take any chances. I don't know for certain if it would have made any difference had I tried to apply for the RRV from the UK 18 months plus on, but the literature I had read suggested it wouldn't have been as straightforward. Perhaps you could seek professional advice to clarify??

What puts you off citizenship? Just curious ;)

We are not against Aussie citizenship as such it's just we have a fair bit on our plates at present with moving back. If the RRV buys us a 5 year window to decide that should be enough to make the call. We are fairly sure the UK will be home in the long term, saying that we do like Australia so it's real privilege to be able to live in the UK or down under.

Madasacut,

Interested to know your views on the economy/job situation back in Scotland. Obviously healthy in your sector in Aberdeen in Oil & Gas.

UK as a whole seems to be on the up looking from afar! . Aberdeen I know has always been something of a case apart due to Oil & Gas, but would you say the North East as a whole is vibrant just now? A case of on the up or just never experienced any downs?

A return to Scotland at some point is looking on the cards for us and either Edinburgh or NE Scotland would be the preferred destination

cheers

Madasacut,

Interested to know your views on the economy/job situation back in Scotland. Obviously healthy in your sector in Aberdeen in Oil & Gas.

UK as a whole seems to be on the up looking from afar! . Aberdeen I know has always been something of a case apart due to Oil & Gas, but would you say the North East as a whole is vibrant just now? A case of on the up or just never experienced any downs?

A return to Scotland at some point is looking on the cards for us and either Edinburgh or NE Scotland would be the preferred destination

cheers

Hi Johnny Kash,

I think that in general the North East/Aberdeenshire is a vibrant place possibly the most vibrant in the UK? can't be much in it between there and the SE of England.

There was however a blip during GFC where Oil & Gas companies held pay back for a few years but the rates seem to be on the up again and a mini boom is predicted. My wife is from the Edinburgh area and her family and friends are all gainfully employed but I would say their stories are more that they are grateful to hang onto to jobs as opposed to chasing payrises etc. The father in-law just received his first base rate rise in 5 years, he works in Glasgow as a sales manager.

Hopefully the whole of the UK is pulling out of the gloom!

What line of work are you in?

Personally I would have applied for citizenship as if you do decide to go back to Australia once you have spent more than 12 months out of the country you are starting again to meet the residency requirement.

Each person that holds a visa will require a RRV, but the requirements can be met as a family unit. You need to show that you have lived in Australia for 2 years out of the last 5 to be eligible for the 5 year RRV so you have up to 8 years to get back to Australia if you apply with your final 2 year lined in Australia.

Personally I would have applied for citizenship as if you do decide to go back to Australia once you have spent more than 12 months out of the country you are starting again to meet the residency requirement.

Each person that holds a visa will require a RRV, but the requirements can be met as a family unit. You need to show that you have lived in Australia for 2 years out of the last 5 to be eligible for the 5 year RRV so you have up to 8 years to get back to Australia if you apply with your final 2 year lined in Australia.

Cheers helpful info.

Hi Johnny Kash,

I think that in general the North East/Aberdeenshire is a vibrant place possibly the most vibrant in the UK? can't be much in it between there and the SE of England.

There was however a blip during GFC where Oil & Gas companies held pay back for a few years but the rates seem to be on the up again and a mini boom is predicted. My wife is from the Edinburgh area and her family and friends are all gainfully employed but I would say their stories are more that they are grateful to hang onto to jobs as opposed to chasing payrises etc. The father in-law just received his first base rate rise in 5 years, he works in Glasgow as a sales manager.

Hopefully the whole of the UK is pulling out of the gloom!

What line of work are you in?

I work in Business Development, currently in the Education Sector. Mrs Kash is in Oil & Gas so I would hope there would be opportunity for her in the NE and I could look at Robert Gordon etc.

I lived close to Bennachie for 10 years and really rate the place, you can live in fantastic countryside and still have access to a city and work opportunities in Aberdeen, which as you say is healthy and has been for years!. I also love Edinburgh as a city and we both have flats and family there so there are ties there.

s your decision to return based upon career or quality of life?

I work in Business Development, currently in the Education Sector. Mrs Kash is in Oil & Gas so I would hope there would be opportunity for her in the NE and I could look at Robert Gordon etc.

I lived close to Bennachie for 10 years and really rate the place, you can live in fantastic countryside and still have access to a city and work opportunities in Aberdeen, which as you say is healthy and has been for years!. I also love Edinburgh as a city and we both have flats and family there so there are ties there.

the oil & gas is doing well just now in Aberdeen, I have agencies that I registered with 4 years ago still emailing about jobs. Not sure about the education side - especially with the private schools after what happened with the hamilton end of last week.

also Apache and Cheveron have just built massive new offices next to kingswells.

I'd say there are a few factors at play, being able to have family support around us counts as a big + also the sense that Oz just isn't ticking all the boxes perhaps you could call that wanderlust in reverse. I think deciding to leave all the family behind and really make this country home i.e. only go back for holidays you really need to believe that the quality of life etc. is so much better. We have compared what our mates in Aberdeenshire have in terms of career finance and general quality of life and we just can't see how Perth improves on this, is it any worse? probably not just different.

I'd think both yourself and Mrs Kash would have plenty opportunity in ABZ workwise, I reckon living in rural Aberdeenshire has to rate as a high standard of living when compared with the rest of the UK. I'd also agree Edinburgh is a fantastic place possibly my favorite UK city, would live there but it limits me to working offshore or at Grangemouth. I've done both over the years and I'm not real keen on repeating either experience so we are heading North to give us as many options as possible.

please could you tell me when the four years to get citizenship starts ... From when you validate your visa or when you come to live in Australia . ... I have a contributory parent visa ... thank you ...

At 21 I couldn't wait to leave Aberdeenshire and head off exploring. Having now lived and worked in South of England, North of England and over here in Oz I have come to the conclusion that it offers overall a fantastic way of life and is a great place to raise a family - 20 years later :cool:

I still think its good to go walkabout in your 20s/30s if you can though and still enjoying the adventure.

All the best with your movements, would be good to get an update if/when you get to the North East on what your thoughts are when youre actually back living there.

I concur I was keen to see the world and have come to the same conclusion that it's not a bad old place Aberdeen and its surrounds. That being said though I do think there is a lot to be gained from living in other parts of the world, it's also good for the kids to experience another way of life.

I shall let you know how we go once the reality of sideways rain and too many rowies has set in, best of luck with your decision.

Archived