Resident return visa

Karenbfam

Myself, my partner and my eldest daughter have just emigrated to oz. Our pr visa expired just after we arrived. My youngest daughter is in her 3rd year of a 4year degree so she obviously didn't want to quit to come with us but at the moment wants to come out when she finishes in May 2015. I have been reading up about the possibility of her applying for a RRV. Having never lived in oz she may qualify for a one year one. My question is she is coming out to visit end of March for 3 weeks, if she came on a tourist visa would she then be able to apply for the RRV next year? If she applied for a RRV now and it is granted for a year, could she apply for another next year? Not really sure which way to go.

Thanks

Karen

I'm not absolutely positive but I'm pretty sure that getting an eVisitor or Visitor visa will cancel her Australian permanent visa and you very definitely don't want that to happen. She should apply for a Resident Return visa before she wants to come to Australia in March. She will only get a 1 year or 3 month RRV, but her strong family ties to Australia and the good reason she has for not coming earlier should make it possible to get this RRV and a subsequent one for travel in May 2015.

Dont want to beat a dead horse, but want to affirm what Ozmaniac and PP have advised......Apply for the RRV....DO NOT apply for any other visa as it will supersede your RRV.....went through this a couple of months ago with my wife with her PR expired. Asked Immi about some other visa path, agent's reply was, "Oh, God NO!!! Dont' do that!." Go ahead and apply for RRV, with all your supporting docs, and a nice letter, and see what happens. She was right. As luck would have it, wife got a 5 year, when she was only eligible for a 1 year, based on time of residency. Best of luck.

Archived