Sydney suburbs

Tam tam

Lots have been said about sydney suburbs but for about 700 a week there seem to be some nice options. We require a 2 bed for a couple with no kids. I want to be within half hour commute if the city and ideally close to the beach or harbour as I love water. Where would you choose and why between mosman, coogee, zetland, surry hills, balmain? We want somewhere modern as we are coming from London! Thanks for any tips!

Your question is very similar to one asked a few days ago so I'll be lazy and repeat my advice there:

As a couple, go central. Sydney has miles of sprawling suburbs that are variously great for families, but can be very dull for singles & couples, so stay close to the action

IMO this means one of the following:

a) The closer suburbs of the Inner West - Glebe, Newtown, Balmain, Rozelle etc. Well-off Student/Yuppie (scuse the ancient terminology) type territory. Pick it right and you can be close to the water

b) The "Inner city" suburbs - Surry Hills, Redfern, Waterloo etc. Lots going on, very handy for everywhere, some pockets of grubbiness

c) Closer parts of the Eastern Suburbs - Paddington, Darlinghurst etc. Will be slightly more expensive

d) A very few suburbs on the North Shore, closest to the water - Neutral Bay, Kirribilli etc. Quieter here but easy in to the city. Again you can be close to the water

e) Closer in beachside suburbs if that's really important to you - Bondi, Coogee, Maroubra, Manly etc. Not cheap and more travelling but for some, being close to the beach is worth it. Manly OK for the trip to Circular Quay (direct ferry) but much less good for any hospital commute

Your budget should be fine - my Sis-in-Law rents a (very nice) 1 bed flat with big entertaining balcony, garden outlook, small kitchen, large bed + WIR, nice living room, small bathroom in Neutral Bay for $500 a week (should be $525 but she's been there a while and the landlady likes her), 5 mins walk from the ferry wharf

Have fun!

.......but given your comment about the water, I'd be erring towards the beach suburbs in the east (Coogee etc). I'm not sure if by "modern" you mean a modern flat type development (you'll find these in many locations, possibly less in areas in Balmain where there are lots of heritage properties) or a modern feeling area?? I'm guessing the former.

Mosman is more (very) well off family territory to me rather than a great place for couples. A decent amount of restaurants but not nearly enough pubs/bars for the lifestyle I liked to lead at that age, that's for sure. Stay south of the harbour for liveliness

Zetland? It's a bit naff round there, just seems to be a load of new soulless apartment blocks without much in the way of established infrastructure or interesting stuff going on, although it is well placed in being easy travelling distance to the city and Eastern beaches. Surry Hills is similarly well placed whilst having a much richer atmosphere.

Balmain is a great suburb with lots going on. It's not particularly within easy travelling distance to any beaches, but maybe you'd prefer the harbour to the beach anyway. However, as previously mentioned, you won't really find modern apartments round there, if that's what you're after. (I love the Balmain architecture - gorgeous houses).

Coogee is also a great option, although in terms of night life, the Eastern beach suburbs tend to be more about character-less sports type bars rather than the more atmospheric / characterful places you'd find in Surry Hills and Balmain.

I agree with previous comments re Mosman.

I'm sure you'll know which of these places is best for you once you visit them.

Guest guest73691

I'd say take a look round those areas when you are here. Then you can get a feel for them. Personally I'd go Surry Hills or Balmain. I live near Surry Hills and love all the cafes, restaurants and bars. Its also really easy to get about from there. I guess it depends on how often you would be looking to go to the beach. Unless you are after a sea/harbour view apartment (which would be super expensive!) would you want to go most days or just at weekends? If its just weekends, then personally I'd choose to live closer to the action and go on trips to the beach when I felt like it.

Thanks all. I think I kinda agree with you but will def have a loo around once I'm there to see for myself. I grew up in South Africa so know that you don't need to be on the beach but no more than 20 mins away. As far as modern goes I mean the inside rather than the outside. With light sunshine and all those things that you don't get in the uk!! I just don't know if I can afford what I want in surry hills so thought if I went to the net suburb on I might be close to the action but nicer cheaper places!? Any idea which suburb that would be?

Guest guest73691

Some of the surrounding suburbs wouldn't necessarily be cheaper.Maybe try domain.com.au and search by area - it usually picks up surrounding areas/suburbs. Darlinghurst has a fair few apartments, though I'm not sure how modern some of them will be as there are a lot of Art Deco ones - great when they are renovated, but from experience landlords don't generally bother! If you want modern apartments you could try somewhere like Waterloo, where there are heaps of new-ish apartment blocks. Might be cheaper than Surry hills, but not too sure how easy it would be to get to the beach unless you have a car.

• 3 weeks later...

So we went looking around today and we have been staying in our temp accom in Pyrmont. My initial thoughts are that there are not that many modern apartments places that I was hoping for which eliminated areas for me like balmain and padding ton. Lovely areas but I moves from London to get away from old architecture. So I want to know where in surry hills you think we could get something like that and whether there is enough to do north beaches and manly area? Or do ppl just never come into the city if they live up there. Lastly I was exposed to the dreadful buses of sydney. Think I was very spoilt in London. Do most ppl have cars in sydney to get around? I can't imagine they are stay in walking distance for their house??? Help!

So we went looking around today and we have been staying in our temp accom in Pyrmont. My initial thoughts are that there are not that many modern apartments places that I was hoping for which eliminated areas for me like balmain and padding ton. Lovely areas but I moves from London to get away from old architecture. So I want to know where in surry hills you think we could get something like that and whether there is enough to do north beaches and manly area? Or do ppl just never come into the city if they live up there. Lastly I was exposed to the dreadful buses of sydney. Think I was very spoilt in London. Do most ppl have cars in sydney to get around? I can't imagine they are stay in walking distance for their house??? Help!

Well I guess you just have to look at the buildings you think you like, I don't think anyone can help with that, there will be old and new buildings in most places. I live on the northern beaches and come into the city definitely five and possibly six times a week, find the bus service fabulous through Sydney. Still, I think the earlier advice you had re location was good and you just haven't found the place for you yet, not many do on day one. I wouldn't change your entire focus just yet.

If you really MUST have 'brand new', well, new developments are going up everywhere. There's one on Parramatta Road, Camperdown, that looks just about completed. There are two blocks just down the road from me on Elizabeth Street, Surry Hills, and there masses of new appartment blocks going up just south of Surry Hills, in Waterloo. I don't care for those ones though, block after block, lacking in character, in my opinion. I passed a new block on Crown St, Wooloomooloo (or perhaps East Sydney) yesterday. What is wrong with appartments just a few years old?

Anyway, if you already hate Sydney buses, and you are working in the city, look for something in Surry Hills, and you can practically walk there, and walk most other places too, whilst the beaches are 20 minutes drive away. (I should test that theory in a minute, as I want to go for a swim.)

Guest guest73691

If you want new(er) then look at Waterloo or maybe Alexandria, which both have a lot of apartments. Surry Hills has some newer blocks of apartments, but whether or not you can find something in one of these will depend on what comes up for rent each week. Area-wise, I would rather live in Paddington or Balmain than Waterloo or Alexandria, but then I'm not a fan of modern apartments and currently live in a little (modernised) victorian terrace which I love :)! The rental market is (as you have probably gathered) very competitive, so if I were you I would pick a selection of apartments you like the look of and go and see as many of them as you can!

Archived