Pool or not

miw54

Hi

We are in the process of returning to Oz after being in the UK for some years. We are going to be buying a house on the Gold Coast but are wondering whether to look for one with a pool or not. We did have one when we lived there many years ago but I understand from friends and family that energy costs have soared in Oz. Since we are returning with not too great an income we do need to be mindful of running costs and wondered if anyone was able to give an idea of the impact of having a pool on energy and water bills and also rates.

Thanks so much

Margaret

Guest Guest66881
I've just had me electric bill it was $450 for 3 month that's with pool pump running for 8hrs a day, aircon average 1-2 hours a day and ceiling fans x2 bedrooms overnight, sitting/dining room about 5 hours a day

Run it through the night mate cheaper leccy, if you go in in the day just flick the maual on for a bit:wink:

Run it through the night mate cheaper leccy, if you go in in the day just flick the maual on for a bit:wink:

i would but but it's really noisy, I'm in a rental. The pool folk reckon theirs an air leak or water leak or something and that's why it's noisy, I've reported it but nothing done!

I wouldnt be without a pool, especially with kids... BUT.. If your only looking at renting for 6 months and arrive back in the next month or two ,i wouldnt bother as unless its heated you probably wont use it April to October but would still have to pay for maintenance and power. Also bear in mind ,rentals with pools are harder to come by so you are narrowing your choices quite a lot and making the rental search harder.

Cal x

Just as a comparison my leccy bill was $46 last month. (electric cooker etc) in my 2 bed unit, we don't have air con though and run fans overnight when necessary

Just as a comparison my leccy bill was $46 last month. (electric cooker etc) in my 2 bed unit, we don't have air con though and run fans overnight when necessary

wow that's a damn sight cheaper! so I'm paying about $100 extra a month for pool n a little aircon :chatterbox:

And don't forget the 'magic sock'.

wow that's a damn sight cheaper! so I'm paying about $100 extra a month for pool n a little aircon :chatterbox:

You have a 2-bed unit with a pool and air-con?

Archived