unmissable places in oz

jen16

Hey all,

We are planning a trip over next year either in July or October. There is myself, OH and two kids aged 10 and 8 (by then). I spent a year in Oz and have always wanted to go back, I want to make longer term than a holiday but thats another story!! So 3-4 weeks, looking for some info on what not to miss. Basically I would like some ideas about where to go. Im thinking we will fly into Sydney to see the sights then hire a car and make stops along the way to Brisbane (I have family in Brisbane so will be staying there for a bit longer). We would love to see the GBR but dont want to keep dragging the kids all over the place as they are on holiday too. Has anyone any thoughts on places that are unmissable and if we should just finish off in Brisbane and see the sights within driving distance or fly up to Cairns? Would love to see Cairns and GBR but worry that it would be another flight in and out.. Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks

If you have the time and money id squeeze in a GBR visit, we stayed in Yeppoon not long ago and are kicking ourselves for not going whilst we were within throwing distance,lol

I posted this link on here agesssss ago but it does have some good info and may give you some ideas. - http://www.racq.com.au/travel/drive_travel/must_dos#20+1

Cal x

I would recommend seeing Noosa. The place has a really nice vibe to it and upmarket you can brush shoulders with the wealthy but not expensive to stay. Great for bodyboarding and boating. It's only about an hours drive north of Brisbane. Also on the way to Hamilton Island which is meant to be fantastic also.

I would recommend seeing Noosa. The place has a really nice vibe to it and upmarket you can brush shoulders with the wealthy but not expensive to stay. Great for bodyboarding and boating. It's only about an hours drive north of Brisbane. Also on the way to Hamilton Island which is meant to be fantastic also.

Noosa is awesome, but I'd say more like 1hr.45 mins from Brissie

Guest The Pom Queen

This time of year would be great to visit Cairns, the weather will be fantastic and probably warmer than the other places you are visiting. Flights from Brisbane to Cairns are around $79 when on sale and from Sydney to cairns $99

When here you could do the Crocodile farm, take a day trip to the reef or even better stay overnight on Green or Fitzroy Island, Fitzroy is less touristy and you have the turtle rescue there as well. In July we usually have the whales migrating North so there are lots of boat trips to see them. You can go swimming in waterfalls, quad biking, do the sky rail, cuddle a koala and lots more.

I would also do the theme parks on the Gold Coast if you can. To be honest there is so much to do I don't think you will fit it all in. I've been here 10 years, driven half of Australia and still not seen everything I want.

Whilst in Sydney, you probably have it on your list anyway, but the opera house and view from there were just as good in real life as they look on postcards. One of the things people don't do though and we loved it when we were in Sydney, was a walk through the botanic gardens, next to the opera house. Beautiful and peaceful after the bustle of a big City. My youngster has autism and he was really quite when we were walking through the gardens. We thought he wasn't enjoying it and asked if he was OK. He was loving it so much that he was sort of mesmerised.

We aren't used to the big City feel and crowds everywhere living in Perth.

Guest Guest40285

You hav eto go to the GBR the children would love it, both mine loved it, Check out Byron bay and the hinterland on your way up to Brisvegas, Its lovely, But I would say that as I live there, have a fun trip, happy days.

From brisbane I would check out Tangalooma over on moreton island. Beautiful place to see that has easy access. Bit pricey but well worth the trip, hand feed the dolphins at night off the beach, snorkel the wrecks and see some great landscape. South stradbroke island another great place but really need a 4wd to see the great spots. Seaworld, dreamworld, movie world, currumbin bird sanctuary, good theme parks on the Gold Coast. Good whale watching, snorkeling, diving, day trips tours available from the Gold Coast.Byron Bay and all the northern nsw coastline and hinterlands are great too. Springbrook , another hidden gem not to far away. The point breaks around tweed heads, surfers paradise.

There's a few ideas of the top of my head, could keep going but sure will get boring. Brisbane got loads of touristy options, sadly the locals take for granted what's on their doorstep.