I don't know where to start! HELP

Priscillapresley1

My husband and I are wanting to move to oz but don't know what the first step is....I know we are on the wanted list (just been added) so will be eligible but want to do it quick.....do we apply for visas if so which one or do we apply for residency beforehand in England (been advised to by a friend in oz)... My head is all over the place as it's so complicated....need an idiots step by step guide

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure how much research you've already done, but having a job on the 'wanted list' (or SOL) doesn't automatically qualify you a PR visa. You need 60 points to qualify, and you can use the official website below to check your eligibility (I presume it's the 189 visa you're looking at?). Simply click on the "Points Test" tab and you can count them up:-

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx

Good luck!

I-F :-)

Guest Nishanth Vasudev
My husband and I are wanting to move to oz but don't know what the first step is....I know we are on the wanted list (just been added) so will be eligible but want to do it quick.....do we apply for visas if so which one or do we apply for residency beforehand in England (been advised to by a friend in oz)... My head is all over the place as it's so complicated....need an idiots step by step guide

Hi there,

I work with immigration everyday, so I know a few things about Australia migration. Maybe I can help.

Yes you need a valid visa to get to that country to find jobs. Getting sponsorship directly or applying for 457 visa is difficult, especially for employers. Hence you need a residency visa. Australia has GSM Points tested visa system. First thing is you need to check which list your occupation falls under, whether it is SOL 1 or SOL2 (CSOL). If it is SOL 1, then its SIM 189 Visa. If its STNI, its 190 Visa. Any idea which list your occupation is in ? What occupation are you applying under ?

May I suggest that you run your case past a registerd migration agent for an assessment or your visa prospects?

You don't need a migration agent to see if you are eligible - simply go on the government's website (link attached to my first post) and check your points for yourself. It's quite self-explanatory and there is lots of info on the immi.gov.au site if you get stuck. I wouldn't automatically start with an agent (no offence, wrussell :wink:) - yes you may decide to go down that avenue later, depending on your individual circumstances and how good you are with paperwork (how much you trust yourself to get it right!) but not everyone does and they manage to get PR just fine.

The 457 is a temporary, employer-sponsored visa for people who either can't get enough points for GSM (generall skilled migration) or who are in a rush to get out there. It's how we hope to get out there as we only get 30 points, but we're also trying to increase our points (doing the IELTS, getting my husband's skills assessed, going for 190 state sponsorship) as if we have PR then we'll be more employable as less hassle / cost for the employer. If this fails then we'll have to stick with the 457 thing. I guess 4 years is better than nothing... :cry:

I would always advise to get PR if you can, though, as you don't pay school fees in WA / NSW / ACT if you're a PR (you do if you're on a 457), you don't need health insurance (until your Medicare cards comes through), you get a first-time buyer's homegrant (certain states it's $10k) or 30% stamp duty discount. This is all info. I've gathered from research, by the way - I'm not the voice of experience or anything, so if I've got any of these facts wrong, please someone correct me :wubclub:

Best of luck anyway - let us know how you get on with your points test and maybe we can help some more once we're better aware of your situation :-)

I am no expert but as far as I know, you have to submit an EOI. But prior to that you have to do a skills assessment and depending on your points requirements, sit IELTS.. I am sure some one more knowledgable will be able give you all of the ins and outs :cute:

Ok, i am going to completely go against the rest of the advice (except wrussel) given so far. Do speak to a registered migration agent. The initial consultation is usualy free. There is more to qualifying for a visa than checking if your occupation is on one of the lists.

I have had 3 visas and am now a citizen and i find it incredible that people consider that they will consider somethng as huge as moving to the other side of the world without seeking proffessional advice.

I have over the years seen a huge amount of people who have had major problems and lost their fee because of a simple mistake in the process.

There is no quick path to getting a visa if you are after PR.

I agree with the above post from VS, contact a reputable MARA registered agent for a free consult. Nothing wrong in that and you may well wish to opt and go with an agent for your application. If you go DIY it's also fine, but at least make an informed choice having consulted a decent agent.

There is no quick path to getting a visa if you are after PR.

I agree with the above post from VS, contact a reputable MARA registered agent for a free consult. Nothing wrong in that and you may well wish to opt and go with an agent for your application. If you go DIY it's also fine, but at least make an informed choice having consulted a decent agent.

Precisely.

I spend about half my time advising DIY applicants who have encountered issues.

Yes I would agree to contact an agent bt not necessarily pay for a service from them..I got free information/advice and made initial contact with 3 registered agents..I realized it was as straight forward as I thought and so chose to do both my visas myself...you need to put in alot of time into finding out all your own info and making sure its correct but will save alot of money..many ppl do it alone succesfully :)

You may be on the list but that doesn't mean it's a given. As above, for a skilled 189 permanent residency visa, you need to first get all your required documents, qualifications, references together and certified, then do your skills assessment with whichever governing body assesses you, only then can you put in your Expression of Interest. And you need to know how many points you need for an EOI to be successful. Whilst 60 is always the minimum, if most people have 70/75 and the field is flooded with applicants, then 60 won't get you an invite.

Then your EoI gets assessed and if you have enough points and passed the assessments and invites are availaible, you should get an invite. THEN you do medicals, police checks and do the full visa application.

You're looking at a 6-9 month (or more) process depending on the assessment times for your occupation, invites available, and how long it takes you to get your docs in order.

As above, i'd first suggest contacting a MARA registered agent and talk through the process with them. It will give you more understanding specifically to your field of interest, and help you decide if you can do it alone or need some help.

Archived