UK A-Level to AUS Uni help!?

jchristie

So I'm currently 17, I'm studying AS-levels in the UK and after my A-levels I hope to migrate to Australia eventually to study Computer Science, I have a few questions!

I was researching the student visa and found out that I was an assessment level 1 candidate. Does this mean I don't theoretically need to show Aus government that I have the money upfront, I just need to declare I have the money? Also, my girlfriend is currently in England but is an Australian born, Australian citizen who will be moving back eventually. We have been together for nearly a year and will have been together over two years when we finish school, would it be better me applying for a partner visa and then going to uni a couple of years later when I've been accepted as a resident, also, is there many complications with that situation described? As in, what are the chances of me being accepted on a partner visa with my girlfriend?

Side notes:

Predicted high grades in: maths, further maths, physics. I have an Australian uncle and auntie, received an A at english language in GCSE which I believe puts me in the highest tier for English proficiency.

Your A levels will get you uni entry (depending on grades of course), however, the student fees are very expensive - so you do need to think about how you would fund this. You would also be restricted to how many hours you can work term time.

I'm not sure about the partner visa - but generally, being defacto is like being a married couple (without being married), so people generally have proof of shared bills, expenses, living together etc.

Why not take a year out after your A levels and get a WHV to see if you like being in Aus

To qualify for a partner visa you need to be more than just boyfriend/ girlfriend. A partner visa involves proving you live the same as a married couple would, and so would need to produce things like a mortgage statement or joint tenancy agreement, evidence of joint bank accounts, shared income or utility bills (payment of gas, electric, water, council tax, phone etc etc) wills where each other are named as main beneficiary, car insurance where both are named - basically things a married couple or those living together would have. This has to be for at least a 12 month period.

In International student fees are huge, and as I understand it, usually need to be paid up front. You also, I believe, have to prove funds on which to live on.

Thanks, yeah I would need to save a lot but what I mean is, would I have to have ALL the money in the bank up front (before I enter aus) to pay for myself for the whole year? Or does it just need to be quite a lot and they take in to account work?

Yeah I was thinking about a WHV for a year first, would this increase my chances of getting in on a de factor visa? Many thanks again.

A WHV visa would not necessarily increase any chances of a partner visa - you would still need the required evidence. But it could give you time to develop that. Justbe clear about what you need because you'll have to work out a strategy in advance to make sure you collate everything required.

There's the prospective spouse visa if you are thinking of getting married in the near future but I think you have to be 18 to apply. I met my husband when I was 17 and after going back to UK for a year the only way he could get out was on this visa and we were married 3 months after he arrived - didn't have any problem with visa application just my parents thinking I was too young - but anyway that was 23 years ago and we are still together. Anyway might be something to consider if you think you have a long term future together.

Honestly? and pragmatically as a parent to boys one of whom has a definite Walter Mitty streak - I'd say you're in cloud cuckoo land here TBH. International student fees are only going to be a possibility if you are very well heeled - and you'd need to pay them for 4 years for an honours degree whilst probably only picking up peanuts for part time work (and you have to agree to leave at the end of your course nowadays I believe). Most of ones loves at 17 are not going to be the "forever" one - far better to leave school, get your degree done and if your love is meant to be it will survive the long distance relationship until you can go over on a WHV after you've graduated to see if you like it and her. You can work from there with a few more assets up your sleeve. Long distance relationships can work especially in this day and age - I've been married to mine for 40 years now after a 3 yr remote relationship so if it's meant to be, it's a short term blip in a long lifetime!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest littlesarah

1. Uni fees have to paid up front for all courses to be taken that Semester, for all students; with the exception of those students who are eligible for HECS (citizens).

2. International students pay much higher fees than domestic students. But even domestic student fees are high (have a look at uni websites for actual figures for the degree you'd be interested in).

3. Student visa holders are allowed to work for 20 hours a week max. At minimum wage of around $16/hr, that would mean an income from work of $320/week. That isn't much to live on, let alone pay fees.

I'm not saying do or don't do it, but I would suggest you find out all about fees, visas etc before you decide anything. You need to figure out whether it's worth studying here or whether you'd be better off in the long run getting a British degree & migrating after that. If you & your girlfriend are meant to be together for the long-term, you will be; regardless of where you're living.

The WHV is a great way to visit & check out this country, & is worth considering either before or after you go to uni.

Archived