mortgage against owned land and living costs

Guest the jp's

Guest the jp's

Hi All,

We are moving to Perth hopefully in June/July this year. We have PR visas, which we validated last June, and have bought a plot of land, which has been paid for. (We've remortgaged here, and hope to let it for a couple of years, before we decide where to settle.) Does anyone know if we will be able to get a mortgage to build a house using the value of the land, before my husband gets a job, so that we can get on with the process of building the house before waiting for him to get a job and for a few months salary to come in?

Also, can anyone give us a rough idea of any other living costs in the first few months, such as deposit for a rental, rent for 3 months, cost of buying and running a 2nd hand car, bills, food etc. We hope to get somewhere in the northern suburbs of Perth, and need at least 3 bedrooms.

Thirdly, we have a new baby who I am just in the process of applying for a passport and a sponsorship visa for. I know we have to declare that we will provide for her for the first two years and that we can't claim benefits, which we wouldn't be wanting to do anyway. However, does anyone know if this includes family allowance? Do you get any child benefit in Oz at all, or not? I know we would be able to get medicare support which is good.

Any advice, answers to all or part of this message will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

The jp's

We don't get any child benefits as my our combined salary takes us over the threshold. I don't know the answer to your mortgage problem though. Even with medicare you will have to pay for prescriptions for children, although I think most doctors bulk bill for children and the elderly.

Have a look on Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au it will give you an idea of rental prices per week and the bond you would need to put down. I bought a used car just to get me to and from work and paid $10,000, it costs be about $40 per week in petrol.

Ali

Archived