UK driving licence help!!!

Alison Hutchinson

I applied for a WA license which arrived the day after I left for a UK holiday. When I tried to hire a car, one firm wouldn't let me because I had an Australian address and a UK license which they said wasn't valid! I rang the DVLA who said when a foreign license is issued the UK one is cancelled! Presumably, if I moved back I can just apply for a new license, hopefully without taking another driving test!

When I asked about renewing my uk one while I was living in sydney I was told that I couldn't renew it while living abroad (albeit temporarily) I now have a nsw licence and my uk has expired. If I go back then I guess I'll cross that bridge. I also had the problem while in the uk on holiday of trying to hire a car with a uk licence (it was still valid then) and an australian address, took a while in the rental office for them not to charge me a very large deposit.....

Your photocard part of your UK licence is what has most likely expired. This has to be renewed every 10 years with new photo when residing in the UK.

The paper counterpart would not expired I'd have thought and is still valid till the date given on it.

If you move overseas technically your UK licence will still exist but as you are not resident with a current UK address the photo part will lapse and be out of date.

Archived