Sydney - but where?

Taxxi

Hi

I'm an Aussie looking to return to Sydney after 18 years (and 2 kids) in London.

I have countless concerns and panic attacks about it all which I won't bore you with but what I really want to know is for those who live in Sydney - where have you chosen to live exactly? I can't quite put my finger on anywhere with the same villagey feeling of community that we have in our area in London (Queens Park/Kensal). I'm a stay at home mum so it is of more importance than if I was heading to the city to work every day... We have our hearts set on Bronte but our bank balance has other ideas!

Thanks!

Not sure if this may help, but we are kinda new in Sydney too (no kids yet, though). We used to live in Barnes and then Wimbledon back in London and we live in Neutral Bay now in Sydney; even our first option was Mosman due to its privacy and easy access to the CBD (Balmoral beach is nearby too), but the places we saw in Mosman were not as great and time made us choose this area which is good too.

We like the lower north shore and northern beaches, but we havent explored a lot of the south so may be worth getting some advice re that end too? We did the coastal walk and the little we saw of Bronte looked nice, if helps?

Good luck! :)

Since you are not working, being close to work is not a consideration, so it comes down to budget and the right fit, no? As you may have already seen, you are in for sticker shock when it comes to Sydney real estate, whether renting or buying; a helluva lot different than 18 years ago!! Navigate to http://www.realestate.com.au, punch in some suburbs that you know, and get an idea of what you can get for your money. If I can be of further help, feel free to PM me. Cheers!!

We chose to live in Balmain and are loving it so far. It has the village feel that you speak of and I can walk home from work in the CBD in the evenings. Loads of good bars and places to eat and you can walk into Rozelle which has much more of that kinda thing too.

The only downside is it's not near a beach but it is near the water and has lovely views of the harbour.

• 2 weeks later...

We are in Haslemere, Surrey and lived in Balmain for 4 years back in 1999 - 2003. Now we have 2 kids (10 and 8) and are thinking we might go back. Haslemere & Balmain are quite similar both with a small town community feel. My sister is in Dee Why/Cromer area and I am wondering if that could provide the same sort of community feel. Dee Why itself is less transient than Manly I think and Cromer/Cromer Heights, Narraweena all full of families. We can't make our minds up so are going in July for another holiday (we've sen back 3 times since we left but never with the intention to have a good look about moving back) and will see what we think of those suburbs then..

We are in Haslemere, Surrey and lived in Balmain for 4 years back in 1999 - 2003. Now we have 2 kids (10 and 8) and are thinking we might go back. Haslemere & Balmain are quite similar both with a small town community feel. My sister is in Dee Why/Cromer area and I am wondering if that could provide the same sort of community feel. Dee Why itself is less transient than Manly I think and Cromer/Cromer Heights, Narraweena all full of families. We can't make our minds up so are going in July for another holiday (we've sen back 3 times since we left but never with the intention to have a good look about moving back) and will see what we think of those suburbs then..

I think Dee Why has changed quite a bit in recent years - a lot of unit developments have gone in here and in Brookvale. It's made the traffic pretty horrible and the area a whole lot busier

I don't like it tbqh, but this is personal. If I were looking somewhere on the beaches to live with a family, I'd prefer Freshwater, Cromer, maybe Balgowlah/Seaforth if needing to be closer to town, Elanora Heights, Mona Vale, Newport, Bilgola if less important

It would be nice to live at Bronte, or Clovelly, though I prefer living in Surry Hills, and going out to whichever beach I fancy. Today it was Clovelly (after driving from Bondi, via Tamarama and Bronte), arriving at 5pm and staying till past 8.30, because it was so nice even after the sun went down at 7, and got completely dark about 8. I even had two swim, changing back into my wet trunks. Some young blokes were blowing huge bubbles over the water, which looked pretty cool.

Yesterday I did much the same at Bronte, arriving about 6, and staying until past 8. There are some nice looking restaurants at Bronte now, plus another on McPherson St that looks OK, 'Three Blue Ducks' maybe? Clovelly does not have so many restaurants, but it does have a good pub with bistro.

But if you can't afford those areas and still want the beach, I don't know. Cronulla perhaps? Further away from the CBD but it does have a train service to the City, and plenty to do.

Archived