Early Years Teacher/Primary Teacher - Advice needed

Guest Linda21

Guest Linda21

Hi,

I qualified as a Primary School Teacher in the UK in 2011. Unfortunately I have not managed to do my NQT yet as there are just no jobs! I have however done short term supply for the last 2 years in Early Years and Primary. My BA Hons Childhood Studies was a 3 year course and my PGCE Early Years and Primary Education lasted 2 years part-time. I would like to work as an Early Years (Pre-Primary) Teacher in Australia and they are on the SOL list, unlike teachers on the CSOL. Unfortunately my experience does not count for points in my skills assessment, but are there any teachers/early years teachers in Oz who can advise on the likelihood I'll find work. I have contacted a recruitment agency who was position I could, but having worked for agencies in the past, the proof is in the pudding!! Any advice on visas, sponsorship, jobs, etc greatly received.

I very much doubt that you would be able to get a school to sponsor you on a 457 anyway, especially as you are relatively inexperienced. There is a huge oversupply of primary and early childhood teachers in Australia.

Check to see if any individual states are sponsoring, but be very aware that the job situation is not great here. You would probably find some relief work and possibly a short term contract after you made some contacts.

Guest Linda21

Thanks Sammy for your advice. I'm quite surprised that Early Years (pre-primary) teachers are in short demand when they are on the SOL so I'll have to look into this further. What year do you teach? How did you do it? Was it straight forward for you? Thanks

You could use your qualifications to work in childcare.

Not paid anywhere like a teacher, but you could negotiate.

You would at least have a job whilst searching for a more suitable one in education.

A lack of an NQT year would not matter, you would just have to satisfy the VIT (in victoria) regulations for a new, graduate teacher. I went the other way straight after a dip ed in victoria and had to satisfy NQT in the uk rather than VIT here.

Registration (again with VIT in victoria) is needed to do relief teaching in schools, and you would probably need it for a childcare to take you on at a higher salary anyway.

I think the rules have just changed in the last year or so requiring childcares to provide access to kindergarten programs as well.

As Sammy has already said, it's an oversubscribed market at the moment. Lots of people looking for very few jobs.

Contact Chilcare centres and school directly for relief work (victoria) and hope for a call or two.

Once you are found to be acceptable and hardworking you will get more calls..............

If you are prepared to go very rural you will have a greater chance of work, there is a reason those jobs are hard to fill.

Hi, I am currently qualified to nvq lvl3 in childcare but looking to enrol on a 3year BA Hons early childhood education (leading to ITS) course -http://courses.leedsmet.ac.uk/earlychildhood

Would this course be assesed as insufficient to work as an early childhood teacher in Australia because it is only 3 years?

Or I could do 3 year ba Hons early childhood studies + a pgce early childhood education.

Not sure what the better route :/

Rushed this as my kindle keeps deleting the post, excuse mistakes please.

• 1 year later...

Qualify here in oz. It's much easier, the standard required for teaching is much lower but they don't get paid as much. My kids have a few friends who are choosing teaching as a career option because the uni entry level is quite low. Oz teachers can teach in the uK, not sure why they make it so hard for us !

Qualify here in oz. It's much easier, the standard required for teaching is much lower but they don't get paid as much. My kids have a few friends who are choosing teaching as a career option because the uni entry level is quite low. Oz teachers can teach in the uK, not sure why they make it so hard for us !

In answer to the OP's question, four years of tertiary education is needed to teach anywhere in Australia, so a three year degree on its own will not be acceptable.

If you studied in Australia, the fees would be astronomical as you would be charged as an international student. It is much better to study in your home country where you can access loans and be regarded as a domestic student.

I agree that the entry needed for education is too low, but then it is in the UK as well. Standards need to be raised and that is being addressed now in Australia.

As for salary, in Western Australia an experienced teacher is on $95,00 per year (with a 7% pay rise over the next three years). I think that compares very well to the UK to be honest.

Don't know any teachers on $95000 here in NSW, that's excellent. Maybe depends on experience, I only know the newly qualified ones who just simply can't find permanent placements but they seem to get a few days supply teaching and work in the call centres to make ends meet. Lots are heading to the Uk to be honest.

Don't know any teachers on $95000 here in NSW, that's excellent. Maybe depends on experience, I only know the newly qualified ones who just simply can't find permanent placements but they seem to get a few days supply teaching and work in the call centres to make ends meet. Lots are heading to the Uk to be honest.

There is a huge over supply of primary teachers here, so I am really not surprised that many are going to the UK. It's also an exciting adventure for a couple of years. The situation is very poor for teachers right now and the universities are simply training too many primary teachers, another reason why the entry level needs to be raised.

Salaries do vary across Australia, at the present time WA has the highest paid teachers. $95,00 is based on nine years of experience. A graduate teacher in WA starts on around $65,00 or $69,00 depending on whether they are four or five year trained.

Nobody has said they are looking for an easier course have they? It would be very expensive to study in Australia as an international student.

Archived