Is there a limit on the amount of medication you can bring to Australia?

richselina

Hi,

We're soon to be moving and want to make sure that we have enough of our prescribed medication when we move. My daughter has eczema and has to have various creams applied each day and I have to have inhalers for asthma.

i know in Australia that we'd have to pay the proper cost versus the prescription charge in the UK so am starting to store up some of our medication, but want to make sure we can bring it with us through customs etc? Also, things like calpol, anadin etc I'd like to bring enough of.

I'm only looking at about six months supply to bring.

Any help as to the restrictions would be most welcomed.

thanks, Rich

I brought a few months supply of my medication and daughters eczema cream and we had no issues. I carried a copy of a script in my name and one in my daughters so they knew it was our medication and also to show the Dr once here and needing repeats.

Cal x

I hope you're not ripping off the prescription system by getting repeats that are not required. Not very ethical behaviour in my eyes.

If it's over the counter stuff then that's up to you but Australia does have chemist shops too!

Liquid Nurofen is the closest equivalent to Calpol and comes in different age "strengths" and a couple of different flavours.

If you take too much prescription medication out of the country, there is a possibility it will be seized by Customs and Excise, if you can't prove that you bought it (paid prescription charges) as opposed to getting your prescriptions free. Presumably, you are travelling on one way tickets and Customs can be very shirty about this - I saw them stop a man who had about 2.5 months worth of medication. They asked him lots of questions about where he got the medication, did he pay for it and how they would have to check that he did pay for it (I'm not sure how the heck they can check this). Customs have the same attitude as abz123 - they don't want people ripping off the prescription system and ultimately, they will tell you that once you are overseas, the first thing you should do is register with a GP so why do you need 6 months worth of meds. They may think that you are trying to scam the system in some way, so please be careful as you don't want unnecessary delays on your way out. Also, if you have been "stockpiling" the meds as opposed to getting a larger than normal last prescription, when you ask your GP to write you a letter (so you can prove you require this medication on entry into Australia), the GP won't be able to put "....and I have given Mrs XYZ 6 weeks worth of medication to see her through, which equates to xx tubes of xx and xx inhalers".

I'm with Cal on this one for your prescribed medication, bring copies of scripts as proof of need (doubtful if you will be asked but declare at immigration anyway) and bring plenty to last you until you settle with a Dr here. The things you would buy over the counter in UK are just about all available here, or variants of and the chemist will help you if asked.

Honest well meaning questions deserve similar responses.

We came just over a year ago and brought over inhalers and medication for both myself and husband. Like the other posts have said no need to bring stuff like analgesia as you can buy it easily and at a reasonable cost here. We also carried scripts from the GP so customs could check(they didnt) but also so that the doctors here could see when we needed repeat prescriptions. The GP kindly prescribed us some extra to take over.

I brought about 3 months worth of my asthma meds (I get them in batches and in larger amounts so I don't have to keep paying for a new inhaler every month. GP let me have a few at a time to make it more cost effective) and some other prescribed ones I needed to take for a while. I just made sure I had them all boxed with the offical pharmacy sticker with my name, GP etc on them all. It wasn't masses but it was enough to see me through a few months and to make sure I had time to find a new GP, work out if I they had the same drugs here or if I had to take new ones. I carried all my prescribed drugs in my hand luggage. No one questioned me or looked at what I had. I was honest about it, put all my inhalers in the clear bag for liquids etc. I also declared on arrival in Aus and we went through the red zone to declare. Customs lady asked us what we were declaring, we told her (along with some foodstuffs) and that we had a bike. She looked at the bike, I dug my meds out of my bag and she said my meds were fine. She could see I had a bit of a pile, but it was all in my name and not anything like a controlled drug. That was it.

As for Calpol and so on, also ok. Don't bring years worth, but sure you can bring enough for a while till you find something you like here. A bottle or two isn't going to be an issue. I'd put that and any creams and lotions in your checked bags as you will be stuffed on the 100ml rule if you put it in hand luggage. You will have to bin it before you depart the UK if you carry it in hand luggage if its over the limit. Even things like Sudocrem are counted as 'liquid' and toothpaste, so be careful of sizes.

They do have pharmacies here so don't go overboard. And lots of good creams you can buy over the counter for eczema.

I hope you're not ripping off the prescription system by getting repeats that are not required. Not very ethical behaviour in my eyes.

If it's over the counter stuff then that's up to you but Australia does have chemist shops too!

Liquid Nurofen is the closest equivalent to Calpol and comes in different age "strengths" and a couple of different flavours.

Bringing a small stock pile with me isnt ripping anyone off its being prepared and carying you over until you have time to find your feeet, find an area to live, get your Medicare card, find a Dr etc etc.

Also for the record out of the 3 medications i brought with me, None are available here and all had to be cross referenced and a similar (not identical) product prescribed.

Cal x

I brought a few months supply of my meds with me, including Methotrexate injections for 3 months, 12. I brought the invoice with me, BUPA used to deliver it, and also the tear off part of the prescriptions for the other things, which I left in my case with the meds. My GP also gave me a letter listing my meds which I kept with me. I wasn't questioned about them.

Like Cal, one of my meds wasn't available here, the injection, and I had to go back onto tablets.

Archived