IELTS - English test compulsory now

ccc812

Can anyone advise whether English tests are now compulsory for skilled migration visas. I obviously speak the language but have been told i have to sit the test. Would this be to boost my visa availability ?

I would like a 189 visa so I'm guessing I may need more points by way of this test.

Your thoughts would be appreciated .

thanks

chris

Can anyone advise whether English tests are now compulsory for skilled migration visas. I obviously speak the language but have been told i have to sit the test. Would this be to boost my visa availability ?

They're not compulsory (someone will correct me if I'm wrong here) but unless you're about 32 years old, have 10 years relevant work experience, and have studied and worked in Aus then I think it's a gimme that you need to sit the IELTS test to get the required amount points.

That's certainly the case for my profession...

Cheers,

PJ

If you are from an exempt country (UK, USA, Canada, NZ, Ireland), you don't need to sit the IELTS to prove your English proficiency, and also depending on whether post-secondary education was delivered in English. Otherwise it's usual to sit the IELTS to either get additional points for visa qualification or to avoid the secondary payment.

It is compulsory of you intend to have your skills assessed as a nurse as they require a minimum of 7. You're UK passport gives you the equivalent of a 6 x

To add to what has already been written above, many professions on the jobs lists state a minimum of 7 (and many 8 or even 9) which means that really you need the IELTS test plus it does give extra points which doesn't harm...

Archived