Advice please!!!

Jojo32

Hi.Is there anyone out there who can help me!Myself,hubby & 2 children moved here to Oz (Melbourne)on 457 visa in sept 2012.my hubby isn't at all happy with the company he works for.We want to apply for PR but really don't think that his employer will help in this.He doesn't want to find a new job because that'll mean working for that company for another 2 years before applying for PR again.He wants to apply for PR himself,but what does this mean for him?does it mean that he will have to sit the IELTS (which he didn't do before coming out here)?help because really don't want to end up back in the Uk!

Well, it all comes down to points. By achieving an '8' in every area (Reading,Writing,Speaking and listening) he would get 20 points towards the 60 needed. Also, his age? His work experience in Oz would get him some points and perhaps he some from the UK he can claim?

You really need to look at how much you can claim and see if you need the IELTS - Normally, people like the extra 20 points it provides.

Go to below link and select the tab 'Points test' - see what you can claim. Also, you can get 5 for state sponsorship and 10 for regional sponsorship.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx

Thanks for your quick replies!my husband is 42 in April & yes he is on the state sponsorship list(vehicle painter).He did do a skills assessment in Uk.His not the most academic person so if he can can avoid doing the IELTS test then he would!thanks again.

Thanks for your quick replies!my husband is 42 in April & yes he is on the state sponsorship list(vehicle painter).He did do a skills assessment in Uk.His not the most academic person so if he can can avoid doing the IELTS test then he would!thanks again.

Just on his age not looking at any other factors of eligibility - yes he will need to sit the IELTS, no chance in meeting the pass mark without it.

Just to add, there is no requirement for you to work for a company for two years - if willing, they can sponsor you for the 186 PR visa at any time. He would need a positive skills assessment prior to the 2 year mark, but since he has attained this once, it shouldn't be a problem to go through it again if out of date. This option would not require the IELTS as it is not based on points, it is based on the employer fulfilling certain criteria though and being approved fro nomination.

But just to reiterate, you don't need to be with the empoyer for two years - we got ours well inside of 1 year.

Yes that's all well & good,but really don't think they'll sponsor him & if so wouldn't want to be working for them for another 2 years!he'll be spitting teeth if that happened!his heard that to pass the IELTS,he'll have to 90% out of 100% but because his not academic his really stressing!

Don't stress about the IELTS, it's not worth it. Think of the bigger picture, the visa is the goal.

Besides, he only has to do the general IELTS not the academic.

With a little preparation everyone can pass it. Pick up the weak areas, learn the format of the test, and he'd be fine!

We also passed the IELTS and English is NOT our first language. So it's possible for everybody.

Yes that's all well & good,but really don't think they'll sponsor him & if so wouldn't want to be working for them for another 2 years!he'll be spitting teeth if that happened!his heard that to pass the IELTS,he'll have to 90% out of 100% but because his not academic his really stressing!

He would only need to site the general test - and get 7's in each section, this would give him 10 points and should be enough to pass points test for 190.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/190.aspx

I would run your case past a registered migration agent. You can get some test papers/practice books to help with IELTS. As well as test papers tutorials online.

What I was getting at is he could change to another employer and be sponsored for PR 186 without having to work for them for two years.

Archived