Help with schools!

Guest TheHollies

Guest TheHollies

Can anyone advise on schools in Perth that are for Reception to Senior all in the same school? We are undecided over moving to Perth or Adelaide and have found a school in Adelaide that have all ages together but Im struggling to find the same in Perth.

Thanks

Here is a list of schools in Western Australia. Doesnt look like you are going to be lucky. There are a few K -10 schools but they look like they are in rural and remote areas rather than the city. You are more likely to find a k-12 in the private sector.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am brand new to the site and have only just registered. We are also looking to move to either Adelaide or Perth, we have to go down the state sponsored route and are only at the first vetassess stage at the moment. We are panicking as we don't know who to ask - South or Western Australia, decisions decisions!. We have 4 children aged 13, 11, 9 and 6 so good schooling is a priority. Also because we can only go on temp visa because of OH job being on that list are we entitled to state education? Sorry to hijack your question, hope someone out there can help us! Also looking on the PomsInAdelaide website the feedback on Adelaide secondary schools is not great. Anyone know anything to help? We are favouring Adelaide at the moment as we understand sponsorship by Western Australia does not allow you to live in Perth Metropolitan area - what does this mean?:arghh::err::unsure:

Hi, I am brand new to the site and have only just registered. We are also looking to move to either Adelaide or Perth, we have to go down the state sponsored route and are only at the first vetassess stage at the moment. We are panicking as we don't know who to ask - South or Western Australia, decisions decisions!. We have 4 children aged 13, 11, 9 and 6 so good schooling is a priority. Also because we can only go on temp visa because of OH job being on that list are we entitled to state education? Sorry to hijack your question, hope someone out there can help us! Also looking on the PomsInAdelaide website the feedback on Adelaide secondary schools is not great. Anyone know anything to help? We are favouring Adelaide at the moment as we understand sponsorship by Western Australia does not allow you to live in Perth Metropolitan area - what does this mean?:arghh::err::unsure:

Aussie schools are much of a muchness really and probably reflect the socio economic area that they are located in. There is a strong private school system with an increasing number of parents voting with their feet and taking the private school option - usually the Catholic system which seems to be burgeoning in all states. Once you have decided where you are going to live (which in reality is probably the place that you are most likely to find work in) then there will probably be folk on here who will be able to be more specific about schools in the area.

People coming in on 457 and similar temporary visas are charged in NSW and ACT (and someone else mentioned Tasmania as well) but not in other states. If you go for a systemic Catholic school then you only pay the fees that everyone else pays.

Thank you for replying so quickly Quoll. We are Catholic so we may go down this route. It has never really been clear to us whether we would have the option of state education on a temp visa so thanks for that. As you have said it will be easier to ask these questions when we reach a decision on where to go. OH is going over once we have the OK from vetassess for a look around so that should help. He is having more positive responses on the work front from Perth than Adelaide although we understand Adelaide is at the beginning of a boom and at the moment it is more affordable to us which is what we are looking for really! I know I probably sound like we haven't thought this through - honestly we have! At the moment I am trying to answer too many questions in my head, one minute I'm fine with Adelaide then I read something on Perth and fall in love with that and vice versa! This site is bril as other people's questions are often what's bothering me!

Thanks for your help.

As Quoll suggested it's very much like UK better schools are in better areas. I'm in WA and where I live there are a number of state schools with good reputations which are comparable with the private schools. My children go to a state schools (one primary, one secondary) and I've been happy so far (been here a year). My daughter is in the acedemic extension programme feels stretched and is really enjoying school life here (though she did in the UK), My son (8) who was indiferent to school 'loves it', he's happy and eager to learn and has found an enthusiam for school that he didn't have before. Of course bare in mind that this is only our experience and someone else can tell you something completly different.

Ali

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yickers

Hi just read your reply to post regarding schools in WA - we are hopefully moving to Perth later this year (Oct 08) we have a 5 yr old son (6 in Sept) any info on schools in Perth would be a great help, we did notice one in Willeton (I think!!!) so any names and areas would be greatly appreciated. All the best to you and your family.

Yickers.

Archived