Change is good right?

clanmcwood

Ok cryptic title..... I am a support worker, in assisted living, challenging behaviour sector. I have done this job on and off for over 18 yrs. I have lots of in house training. But no NVQ. Also I know what I would need to do to land a job in the same sector when we land in Aus.... here is my dilemma I would like a change and a challenge so am looking to do a 180 on the job front. I will need to start from scratch as my GCSE'S were nothing to shout about.

So rather than wasting time in the UK I thought may be doing on line courses that give qualification's in Aus. Has any one had experience in this as I don't like the idea of being scammed and lousing the money I have to put down.

so far I have found this company www.onlinecoursesaustralia.edu.au if you could give me any advice that would be brilliant.

thank you for reading xx ang xx

I havent done any on line courses as such over here so cant really help with that. I did however do what you want to do when we came here initally, and although my first job was in care ,i then did a totally change and took up a different career that ive been doing now for 5 years and love it.

Cal x

Personally I would wait until you arrive in Australia to do a course/qualification with a reputable training organisation. Doing courses here at the right place can have benefits and lead to work/opportunities. I used to work in Adelaide as a Trainer and Assessor (in a different field) and we regularly had employers contacting us about employment opportunities and wanting me to put forward students that were suitable. I have a friend that also works in another sector as a trainer and she also puts students forward to employers. By doing the course here you will gain local knowledge and information. I know of someone that attended a course and they were meeting me afterwards, but the course finished earlier than expected so they had some time to kill, they asked the trainer about potential jobs and the trainer recommended them to try a certain place, so they went and asked and they were offered a job there and then.

As a new migrant, it can also be a good way to make new friends.

Thank you for the input. I have no qualification that are recognised in Aus ... I want to hit the ground running so to speak. Atm I work nights (one pw as im using up A/L) So I have the choice of a on line course (so I have a head start) or endless hours playing facebook games. As its a total career change I would rather move over with recognised qualification's, then start work. So I can help save money for our house. Then if I have no options go back in to care.

has any one had experience with online course providers?

I did an online course here and researched the company (due to our visa being a 457, I couldn't afford to do the qualification at TAFE). I managed to find information - on a government website I think - that verified that it was recognised.

I don't know what area you are looking to work in, but some of the online courses (like mine) had a practical component - I had to do at least 50 hours work (voluntary or paid) in the sector. Also a lot of online seminars. All that stuff was much easier to do over here obviously!

Anyway my online course went well and I ended up with casual work from one of the placements, which gave me experience to apply elsewhere and I now have regular work.

Good luck! x

I did an online course here and researched the company (due to our visa being a 457, I couldn't afford to do the qualification at TAFE). I managed to find information - on a government website I think - that verified that it was recognised.

I don't know what area you are looking to work in, but some of the online courses (like mine) had a practical component - I had to do at least 50 hours work (voluntary or paid) in the sector. Also a lot of online seminars. All that stuff was much easier to do over here obviously!

Anyway my online course went well and I ended up with casual work from one of the placements, which gave me experience to apply elsewhere and I now have regular work.

Good luck! x

I have seen a course run by the company that ive linked to on 1st post .... it covers Child Psychology

Criminal Psychology

Sports Psychology

so should give me enough job fields to look into when I get over :) im interested in the top 2 but they come in a bundle, but 3 ology's has got to be a plus point :)

xx ang xx

I have seen a course run by the company that ive linked to on 1st post .... it covers Child Psychology

Criminal Psychology

Sports Psychology

so should give me enough job fields to look into when I get over :) im interested in the top 2 but they come in a bundle, but 3 ology's has got to be a plus point :)

xx ang xx

Sorry honey but doing this course will lead to zero opportunities in these fields - you do not even get a qualification from the course just a certificate to say you have done it which is worthless.

If you really are interested in this field then you need to look at the requirements of the Australian Psychology Society https://www.psychology.org.au/studentHQ/studying/

But just to let you know what you'll find when you look there is that 'Before being eligible for general registration to practise as a psychologist, students must first complete a minimum of six years education and training.'

I don't mean to P on your bonfire but the courses you are looking at really are a rip off and nothing more than 'general interest' - they might help as a stepping stone to degree study, just because they demonstrate you can commit to study and have a proven interest in the subject-matter, but that's about it.

You might be better looking at counselling rather than psychology if that interests you at all - have a look at this possibly http://www.aipc.net.au

I used to lecture in psychology and train counsellors so if you want any more help please ask (this was in the UK though so I don't have much Australia specific knowledge)

Think if it were me I would take the previous posters advice (Jessica Berry).Read her signature!:cute:

I clocked jessica's sig and have taken that into count ... but I really do need to be working at least part time (for my own sanity) I have decided to use what I am doing in the UK as a full back as my hart is not in it any more... it may be different in a now care job but im really needing a new challenge and at 3o ish cough cough I don't feel im to old for that change. And having no valuable qualifications I had best get back to school :hehe:

I don't mean to P on your bonfire but the courses you are looking at really are a rip off and nothing more than 'general interest' - they might help as a stepping stone to degree study, just because they demonstrate you can commit to study and have a proven interest in the subject-matter, but that's about it.

You might be better looking at counselling rather than psychology if that interests you at all - have a look at this possibly http://www.aipc.net.au

I used to lecture in psychology and train counsellors so if you want any more help please ask (this was in the UK though so I don't have much Australia specific knowledge)

thank you, that was just what I needed. It was a gut reaction to the cause once I looked in to it I realised its as help fall as all the other bits of paper I have in my CV folder. Thank you for the link I will have a look now. TBH unless I can do some of that 6 yrs while over here (uk) I may have to re think what field to go into. I was looking more at the jobs it could lead to over the ology its self :)

There will be plenty of options to become a mature student in Australia - the local university to where I lived in Perth had an 'Access' programme for mature students and I would expect almost all universities would - you don't need previous study experience.

http://www.studyat.uwa.edu.au/undergraduate/admission/mature/map

Most universities will have something like this and usually you can study part-time too.

Good luck!

There will be plenty of options to become a mature student in Australia - the local university to where I lived in Perth had an 'Access' programme for mature students and I would expect almost all universities would - you don't need previous study experience.

http://www.studyat.uwa.edu.au/undergraduate/admission/mature/map

Most universities will have something like this and usually you can study part-time too.

Good luck!

:arghh: I want to do it now!! lol as in sitting here twiddling my thumbs... im off to have a look at the link you posted Lady rainicorn thank you hun

:arghh: I want to do it now!! lol as in sitting here twiddling my thumbs... im off to have a look at the link you posted Lady rainicorn thank you hun

You can do it now! I taught on Access courses in the UK and/or you could do OU modules. Degree level studies are the same worldwide so it doesn't matter where you do it. You could even go for Open University Australia http://www.open.edu.au although it might be more difficult, I did some OU modules and a big part of it was the forums with other students on your unit and study days which were at local uni's

However far you have got when you move you will be able to get APL (accredited prior learning) and continue from there - uni's are great these days at accommodating mature students - you go girl :)

If you are really unsure look to see if your local FE college does A level 'Return to study' classes for mature students - I taught A level to classes of adults just like you :) Pretty scary at the time since I was barely an adult (I gave my first lesson on my 23rd birthday!)

You can do it now! I taught on Access courses in the UK and/or you could do OU modules. Degree level studies are the same worldwide so it doesn't matter where you do it. You could even go for Open University Australia http://www.open.edu.au although it might be more difficult, I did some OU modules and a big part of it was the forums with other students on your unit and study days which were at local uni's

However far you have got when you move you will be able to get APL (accredited prior learning) and continue from there - uni's are great these days at accommodating mature students - you go girl :)

If you are really unsure look to see if your local FE college does A level 'Return to study' classes for mature students - I taught A level to classes of adults just like you :) Pretty scary at the time since I was barely an adult (I gave my first lesson on my 23rd birthday!)

Lady Raincorn you are an absolute SUPPER STAR thank you so so much, I will look in to this in the morning as ive gtg my head down for a few hrs.. im working tonight :(

xx ang xx

Archived