Nurse needs advice

jultac

Hi guys.

Need some advice. I am an adult nurse 36yrs old with 7 yrs A&E and 3 years community experience. I desperately want to emigrate to Australia Perth.

I was disappointed to learn that employers are not recruiting foreign nurses so I wouldn't be able to get sponsorship which is what I really wanted. What is the best way for me to get a job there. I am not keen on applying for permanent residence as this process takes so long and is expensive. I know I have to get my registration through ahpra but what are my chances of getting a job if I apply direct to employers without a visa after I obtain my registration? A couple of nursing agencies have said they can get me jobs once I get a visa and I arrive in perth. I heard it's not that simple. Please help.:unsure::unsure::unsure:

There are benefits to being a permanent resident, especially if you have children ( no school fees, free medical care, you aren`t tied to a job if it turns crappy). You`ll need to start with nursing license first if you want a job without permanent visa. After you do that, you can do a travel assignment to Australia to see how you like it. If you are, however, keen to emigrate as you said then PR visa is the best option ( sponsored visa only lasts 4 years anyway ).

I am a paediatric nurse and got jobs direct with hospitals in sydney and Perth and both were willing to sponsor me for 457 visa. I took the job in sydney a year ago and they are now sponsoring for PR. You will need ah par registration which once obtained is valid for a year to get validated. May need skills assessment depending on visa type.

Have you looked at applying for posts that are advertised? I work in MH and I noticed that our last recruitment advertisement did say the preference would be given to Australian Permanent Residents. Also, have you tried the private sector? They're more likely to offer sponsorship

Hi Jultac. I work in community in Perth. I came out on a 457 but am now a citizen. Id advise you to take the PR route. It might take a bit longer but youll then have a lot more flexibility in terms of positions. If you get here and wsnt to stay youll have to onshore pr anyway plus the cost of medicals all over again. No..I woukd say PR all the way. Not sure of timescales but ours was only 3 months. Aphra registration is first step as can take ages and employers always want an easy choice so if you have a visa and Aphra much better. Silver Chain are the main metro community nursing providers here.

Jultac,

I was finding that employers weren't sponsoring on PR anymore probably because it costs too much money if you then change your mind so many were sponsoring on 457 then giving you opportunity for PR later. If you go down this route go for PR ASAP as better security, they can get rid of you anytime with a 457. I was lucky as employer would consider PR after 3 months and it was 9 months before application went in.

As for AHPRA, I did get registration before I got job, registration can take up to 6 months and I know someone who took 11 months, but mine was really quick at 3 weeks. The only thing is you only have 12 months from getting registration to get to oz to validate registration. I do know people who applied for jobs in the same hospital whose registration hadn't come through at the time, but had applied ready.

Yes, my 457 was really quick, and I think generally they are, not sure what time frame is now but there might be something on there. It took almost 6 months for pre employment checks for job and then once that was done, only a month for visa. It was granted in July but I didn't come out until the January so lost 6 months of visa as it starts from date of granting.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Tracey

Archived