Urgent Ceremony and Citizenship Test

MartaaJ

Hi All,

I just found this awesome forum and wanted to ask a very important question.

As it is my first post here, please take it easy on me. Thanking you all in advance.

I will be eligible to apply for my Australian citizenship in 3 weeks. I was wondering if it is possible to get an urgent ceremony and test date as I need to go to my home country for an unknown period of time.

The reason for that is my father is very sick. He had an Open Heart Surgery around 10 years ago. he was OK until last week when he felt some chest pain and went to his doctor. They are saying he may need another surgery soon but nothing has been confirmed yet.

I really don't know if I go back to my home country how long I will need to stay there for him. My mom has passed away when I was 13 and my dad has no one who can take care of him . On the other hand I don't want to lose the chance of my citizenship as my whole life is here after living in this beautiful country for the last 10 years. I really want to come back.

I can definitely get a letter from his doctor confirming his situation and translate it to English for immigration as a supporting document.

However all my dilemma right now is Immigration does not consider my situation urgent and ask me to travel to my home country on my current passport.

Please Please let me know what you think and if there is anything I can do in this regard . This situation is giving me many sleepless nights at the moment.

Thank you all very much.

It's possible to request these things but not guaranteed. The test is only the first hurdle, when you pass and make the application, they then do a number of checks which can take anything from days to a number of weeks, it is only then you are invited to attend a ceremony (and when you could make the request), If you need to go home urgently, then I would consider what nicolac is suggesting if your visa is due to expire and consider the RRV and apply for citizenship when you return.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I was wondering how much did it take for the urgent Citizenship Ceremony to take place from the date when you had submitted your application? Also, how did the Department of Immigration contact you to notify regarding the same?

• 2 months later...
Hi, I was wondering how much did it take for the urgent Citizenship Ceremony to take place from the date when you had submitted your application? Also, how did the Department of Immigration contact you to notify regarding the same?

It's been 7 weeks now since I have done the test,still waiting for the departments decision,don't know really how quick it is in cities,I'm in the bush

Archived