Student Subclass 573 to Partner 820 visa - pregnancy

tostar

Hello,

I had a question related to hospital expenses for the situation I am in.

My partner, who is now about 1 month pregnant is on a student subclass 573 visa. I am on a permanent residency visa. Over the last few months we have been preparing for both the visa and baby, and everything is prepared to be submitted within a few days.

If all goes well and she gets a bridging visa, it is possible that she does not get the 820 visa before the baby is born.

Questions:

1 - if she is on a bridging visa, will she be able to apply for medicare and get public hospitalisation costs covered?

2 - if the 820 visa gets granted before the birth, , will she be able to apply for medicare and get public hospitalisation costs covered?

Thank you kindly in advance

You get access to Medicare when you submit an application for the 820 visa: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/medicare-card/eligibility-for-medicare-card

I have to say, though, that based on both this and your previous posts you do like living on a wing and a prayer - and it will end up hurting someone badly if you aren't careful.

As part of her student visa conditions she has to have private health insurance, so she will have cover while on the student visa. However, if she doesn't attend at least 80% of her classes her student visa can be cancelled. If it is cancelled rather than just expiring then bridging visa a will also be cancelled. I believe she can apply for bridging visa e, but she can't work or leave the country.

When does her student visa expire?

She will not be entitled to paid maternity leave. I believe there is a way you could get it, but you must not be working while it is paid.

As noted above, she will be eligible for Medicare from the moment she submits an application for an 820, regardless of any conditions attached to the 573.

Thank you all for your helpful responses, I am very relieved to hear this although subclass 820 is a partner visa which is temporary. You then wait 2 years to apply for the permanent visa, if this is the case, the line on the Medicare site would mean she is only eligible once she waits 2 years and applies for the permanent one. Is this true?

She has about 1.5 years left on her student visa

Thank you all for your helpful responses, I am very relieved to hear this although subclass 820 is a partner visa which is temporary. You then wait 2 years to apply for the permanent visa, if this is the case, the line on the Medicare site would mean she is only eligible once she waits 2 years and applies for the permanent one. Is this true?

She has about 1.5 years left on her student visa

She would be eligible as soon as she applies. Where is she from by the way? If she is a Brit then she is already entitled to Medicare.

Also, if you have a child together you can apply for pr after only one year on the temp visa I believe.

Eligible as soon as she applies for the temporary 820 partner visa?

Where can I confirm that having a baby makes the eligibility 1 year for the temporary 820 visa -> permanent 801 visa?

Why not run your case past a reputable migration agent.

Where can I confirm that having a baby makes the eligibility 1 year for the temporary 820 visa -> permanent 801 visa?

Read the immigration website on partner visas. I am pretty sure it states in there about temp and PR and what qualifies.

Yes - she will get a letter acknowledging receipt of the application and confirming Medicare eligibility. She should take this letter to a Medicare office and they will give her a Medicare number on the spot.

I'm not sure this is correct. If you have a relationship that has been ongoing for 3 years you can go straight for an 801 visa - and this is reduced to 2 years if there is a child of the relationship. But I can't see anything about children reducing the time required on an 820 if the threshold is not met for an immediate grant of an 801.

Yes - she will get a letter acknowledging receipt of the application and confirming Medicare eligibility. She should take this letter to a Medicare office and they will give her a Medicare number on the spot.

I'm not sure this is correct. If you have a relationship that has been ongoing for 3 years you can go straight for an 801 visa - and this is reduced to 2 years if there is a child of the relationship. But I can't see anything about children reducing the time required on an 820 if the threshold is not met for an immediate grant of an 801.

If you need to have been together for one year before getting the temp visa then you have been together for two years by the time you have been on the temp visa for one year. Same difference unless you have registered your relationship or married before the one year.

If you need to have been together for one year before getting the temp visa then you have been together for two years by the time you have been on the temp visa for one year. Same difference unless you have registered your relationship or married before the one year.

Alas I think that's not the way partner visas work. I understood that there was a decision point when DIBP determine whether you meet eligibility for an 801 immediately or whether you qualify only for an 820. If they decide on the 820, then you have to serve out the full two years before you can be considered for the 801, even if you would have passed the three year milestone (or two years with a child) earlier than then.

• 6 months later...

Archived