Removals shortlist

skywatcher

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have an ever growing list of questions to pose. Currently in the first stages of looking at shipping home contents to Australia from the UK and I wondered if we were to limit ourselves to half a container what would be the most cost effective things to take. In other words what would it make more sense to buy once moved over rather than take with. Or are prices so more expensive in Australia that it makes sense to take everything over and use more container space? Our fridge/freezer and microwave over are in need of replacement. Do i discard them over in UK and buy them new in Oz or should i buy them now before I leave and take them over?

I would like to know what peoples oppions are on this as my shipping list is getting smaller and smaller. We wer going to buy new toasrer kettle bedding towels duvets etc here but thinking the cost of shipping them would prob even out if more expensive in oz

Hi

Worth getting some quotes for a half or full container as this will help you work it out. It definitely isn't worth taking ikea type stuff or cheap furniture - unless you are near to filling a whole container and in that case you may as well fill it. It's about finding the tipping point really in how much stuff you want to take vs costs of shipping. For us unless we got rid of quite a substantial amount of stuff it wouldnt alter the cost of shipping. When you talk to your removal company (and they come round to assess your stuff) they should be able to say what will take you over the threshold of , say , half a container. I thought we shipped the minimum but still found ourselves throwing stuff away when we got there.

I wouldn't replace items here just to ship them unless you have a favourite European brand. to compare costs look at Harvey Norman and the good guys for white goods.

Hello all

Im in the same boat, had the removal guy round the other day and what I ask him to do was make my list, All the things I knew we are defiantly taking put down on list A

All the sentimental things and TV's and such.

Then as we went from room to room we also made a B list for the maybe's!

So when I got my quote from him I had one that was a cert and another that was the one we would have to weigh up the cost against value to us.

A list quote was £1,650 and A and B list together was £3,050, now once I looked again at the B list I had a figure to put on it and was easier to make a choice.

I also looked up how much it would be to replace things on the B list in Oz and to be fair it was not that bad and it would all be new again.

I also put an extra box worth on the fellas guess when we went room to room just incase we take more than he estimated, would rather over estimate than under and they only charge for what they take anyway.

Have another company coming to quote on Wednesday so will decide between the two after that.

All the best

Kev

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have an ever growing list of questions to pose. Currently in the first stages of looking at shipping home contents to Australia from the UK and I wondered if we were to limit ourselves to half a container what would be the most cost effective things to take. In other words what would it make more sense to buy once moved over rather than take with. Or are prices so more expensive in Australia that it makes sense to take everything over and use more container space? Our fridge/freezer and microwave over are in need of replacement. Do i discard them over in UK and buy them new in Oz or should i buy them now before I leave and take them over?

If they need replacing, ditch them in the UK and buy new in Aus. Warranties will be valid then and also fridges and freezers are much bigger here in Aus and a UK FF would not fill the gap of an Aus one in a kitchen. Also you won't be stuck without them for 3 months while you stuff ships.

Be realistic. If your stuff is decent and you like it, ship it. But be prepared you will have to make do one end or the other till your container arrives in Aus. I think its prefereable to make do in the UK if you can borrow stuff to tide you over till you leave. Or keep back the stuff you don't plan to take, use it till right up to you leave and take it to the tip a day or two before you head to Aus.

It will cost to replace stuff. Just look online and work out cost wise if its worth while shipping or not. Lots of Aus stores online so you can price things up.

Personally, we only shipped personal effects, clothes, kids toys, books (only about a third of what we had, dontated the rest), all the kitchen utensils, bedding, towels and our KS bed, one wardrobe we flat packed, 2 sets of drawers and a desk. O and a chair that I'd never be able to buy here. Other than that we are starting over. We knew ahead of time though why we wanted to do this and had good reasons.

Budget around £4,500-5000 for shipping in a sole use 20ft container. This should fit the contents of an average 3 bed house. Then look round your house and be honest about stuff and if its worth taking. Then get some companies in for quotes, for the stuff you want to take and for all of it. See what the difference is.

If you ship beds, ship plenty of bedding and duvets etc to fit them as Aus bed sizes are different. So is their bedding.

I would like to know what peoples oppions are on this as my shipping list is getting smaller and smaller. We wer going to buy new toasrer kettle bedding towels duvets etc here but thinking the cost of shipping them would prob even out if more expensive in oz

You'll most likely be buying a kettle, toaster and so on when you arrive and are in your rental waiting for your stuff to arrive. I'd not bother with those sorts of things. I would however invest in decent bedding and towels. Defo ship bedding if you plan to ship your beds as they have different sizes here. Also good quality towels are expensive. You can buy cheap stuff to see you through till your container arrives. And buy things like a toaster and kettle new with warranties that are valid etc here.

Have another company coming to quote on Wednesday so will decide between the two after that.

All the best

Kev

I'd get a couple more quotes in if I were you. More room to haggle and prices do vary between them.

I'd get a couple more quotes in if I were you. More room to haggle and prices do vary between them.

Hello Snifter

It does make sense for me to get plenty of quotes but to be honest every quote I get cost's me money for the time off work ( self employed and choc full of work ) so I have just gone on reviews of many shipping companies and narrowed it down to a few, but I do agree the more the merrier!!

Just wanted to flag up something you said that is a very important factor, that is the shipping time, On average you are looking at a 3 month period for shipping as you said so to be waiting on beds and FF and such would be a bit uncomfortable to say the least, I had ment to mention that in my post but with my limited attention span it escaped me, happens all the time ;)

All the same it is a very good point raised, for me that makes taking essential things as in beds and the things you need everyday a no go, buy new in oz and sleep well from day two ;) and also keep the milk cold!

The money saved on shipping would go a fair way to helping out with it, Also, moving to the other side of the world for a new life and all that involves!!

Might as well treat yourself if you can!!!

Best of luck!!

Kev

Archived