Cyclone Dylan - Cat 2

Guest The Pom Queen

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope all stay safe but conserning there has not really been much of a wet season this year as the wet season tends to send rain to other parts of Aus. Good it does not look like a Cat 3 or higher will give first time POMs the chance to learn what to do in case we get a larger cyclone in the coming weeks.

Hope all stay safe but conserning there has not really been much of a wet season this year as the wet season tends to send rain to other parts of Aus. Good it does not look like a Cat 3 or higher will give first time POMs the chance to learn what to do in case we get a larger cyclone in the coming weeks.

A couple ot things during "a blow", the windows on the opposite side to the wind should be open to counteract the wind pressure.

If the dwelling looks like breaking apart, the safest area is around the toilet/bathroom, there are more vertical supports. Mattresses and blankets are good for shelter

Hope no one faces that, but it can save lives to know.

Cheers, Bobj.

No banana plants down; lost 2 last cyclone.

Cheers, Bobj.

So it was you fault we ended up paying $25 a kilo for them last time:wink:

Seriously though, I hope everyone stays safe and damage to property and livelihoods is minimal.

Guest The Pom Queen

Thank goodness you didn't go off fishing this morning. Hey if we bought the cabin we could fish off the balcony :wink: need to win the lottery first. Any idea how Cape Hillsborough faired?

I think we all came off lightly, still a lot of flooding with the tides. Saw some photos earlier of Cairns and Mackay. Now let's pray the farmers get some rain from this system. There are suppose to be two more lows out there one in the GOC and one in the CS

A couple ot things during "a blow", the windows on the opposite side to the wind should be open to counteract the wind pressure.

Cheers, Bobj.

Nah, that's an old wives tale that been doing the rounds forever, along with "open up your loft hatch as it stops the roof blowing off". There is zero pressure differential between the inside and outside of a house in all but explosive events. The best thing you can do is not to worry about the windows and stay well away from them; it's crap flying through the air at 150km/h plus that does the damage.

I heard the loft hatch one on local radio recently, a lady phoned in and said "we always do this and have never lost our roof..." Personally I'd be putting a lot more faith in inspecting the condition of the roof bolts.

The NOAA hurricane research division has a comprehensive mythbuster and advise section which is well worth a read.

Nah, that's an old wives tale that been doing the rounds forever, along with "open up your loft hatch as it stops the roof blowing off". There is zero pressure differential between the inside and outside of a house in all but explosive events. The best thing you can do is not to worry about the windows and stay well away from them; it's crap flying through the air at 150km/h plus that does the damage.

I heard the loft hatch one on local radio recently, a lady phoned in and said "we always do this and have never lost our roof..." Personally I'd be putting a lot more faith in inspecting the condition of the roof bolts.

The NOAA hurricane research division has a comprehensive mythbuster and advise section which is well worth a read.

Interesting, I got that from a weather man when I lived in the Kimberlies 40 years ago.thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived