Understanding 2 years study Requirements in Australia

sanakhan

Hello,

I was doing a Diploma of Information Technology (CRICOS registered = 102 weeks) from one of the colleges in Sydney in 2009.

I started in February 2009. I left it incomplete (as i did not attempted couple of subjects) and passed out in December 2010 with a certificate IV in Information Technology.

The college awarded me a Certificate IV (CRICOS registered = 52 weeks) in December 2010.

I changed my field and took admissions in some non IT related Courses.

I want to complete my two years study related to IT. My questions are:

If i take admission in a course Diploma of IT (exemptions granted) and complete it in a fast track. Will it fulfill 2 years study requirement ?

Thanks,

Sana

I don't believe it does if there is a big break, but you would be better off checking with a registered migration agent.

I know we were advised on our course NOT to get recognition of prior learning as that would shorten our course and it wouldn't end up being two years officially.

Hello,

I was doing a Diploma of Information Technology (CRICOS registered = 102 weeks) from one of the colleges in Sydney in 2009.

I started in February 2009. I left it incomplete (as i did not attempted couple of subjects) and passed out in December 2010 with a certificate IV in Information Technology.

The college awarded me a Certificate IV (CRICOS registered = 52 weeks) in December 2010.

I changed my field and took admissions in some non IT related Courses.

I want to complete my two years study related to IT. My questions are:

If i take admission in a course Diploma of IT (exemptions granted) and complete it in a fast track. Will it fulfill 2 years study requirement ?

Thanks,

Sana

I posted a reply, but it vanished, so I shall try again.

Course providers are not supposed to give migration advice, but they often do and they are often wrong, for which they face no consequences.

It is possible to fast track a course by taking advanced standing and still satisfy the Australian Study Requirement.

Courses below diploma level do not satisfy the Australian Study Requirement.

It might come down to a question of whether your previous studies were prerequisite to the course upon which you propose to rely.

Read Regulation 1.15F and the associated sub regulations.

If you are still in doubt, consult a registered migration agent.

thanks.

The course which i was doing is suspended. I contacted college so they are not offering me the two subjects which i did not attempt.

I visited the immigration web site and came to following conclusions.

(Please correct me if i am wrong, however i am planning to take advise of some registered migration agent soon):

1) If i take admission in some other college in a course, say "Diploma of IT (CRICOS = 52 weeks)" and complete it. I will have a Certificate IV (52 weeks) and Diploma (52 weeks) resulting (more than 92 weeks) and studied over a period of more than 16 months

(Note: i guess will count 16 months including time period of Certificate IV) BUT It may not be counted as 2 years study because between two different qualifications there is a big break (i.e. "more than 24 months") ? Please comment

2) If i apply for exemptions and take admission in a course, say "Diploma of IT (CRICOS = 102 weeks)" and complete it. It may fulfill the requirement as information states as:

If you are given credit for prior learning it will reduce the amount of study you have completed. In such a situation the exempted units can not be counted towards meeting the Australian study requirement if:

• they are already being used towards meeting the Australian study requirement as part of another course
    Example: Periods of study can not count more than once towards meeting the Australian study requirement
  • the credit was granted on the basis of study undertaken either overseas or within Australian in a non-CRICOS registered course.

This means that credit granted on the basis of study undertaken in Australia in a course registered with CRICOS may contribute towards meeting the Australian study requirement, but only once.

The reason is that i will be claiming one course Diploma of IT (CRICOS = 102 weeks) as a two years Australian study, with exemptions granted but on the basis of another registered cricos course (i.e. "Certificate IV") and claiming them once only.

I am a bit confused so if some one can please suggest, the best possible way to complete two years Australian study in IT.

Thanks,

Sana

I posted a reply, but it vanished, so I shall try again.

Course providers are not supposed to give migration advice, but they often do and they are often wrong, for which they face no consequences.

My tafe had an immigration official come in to give us advice (as they knew nothing). The immigration lady didn't know much about student visas and spent most of her time trying to sell staying in SA and getting state sponsorship. I thought it was pretty poor of them to even send someone if they didn't know about all the visas which would be relivant to the people they were sent to give advice to. :-/

Thanks all of you for your valuable comments and feedback.

As i wrote before that, I have an incomplete "Diploma of Information Technology" (Duration weeks 102).

Note: (Couple of subjects were missed due to which i was unable to get the Diploma Certificate, However, i spend 24 months to complete the qualification)

I exited in this course by receiving a "Certificate IV in Information Technology" (Duration weeks 52) in the year 2010.

If i am offered a "Diploma of Information Technology" (Duration weeks 48) from some other college based on RPL.

Will it satisfy the 2 years study requirement based on two qualifications (i.e "Certificate IV" and "Diploma") ? My question is related to following three aspects:

1) Study should be registered for more than or equal to 92 weeks. In my case i think if i complete the Diploma of Information Technology. it will be OK (i.e. "52 weeks + 48 weeks =100 weeks")

2) Study should be completed in 16 months or more ? (I am confused about it. Please advise)

3) The gap between both the studies is more than 2 years. (I am in doubt about it as well. Please advise)

I would be very grateful to all of you.

Thanks in advance,

Sana

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by sanakhan

Thanks for the reply.

I am in consultation with the colleges to offer me different courses.

Once i get all the options i will consult a registered migration agent.

I would like some one you know who can help me out in this matter. I don't want to spend my time in studying the course with a length of 1 year or 1.5 year. I would like to utilize my studies which i did in 2009-10 to as much extent as possible and of course should be acceptable by immigration as 2 years study in IT.

Thanks,

Regards,

Sana

Edited by sanakhan

Thanks for the reply.

I am in consultation with the colleges to offer me different courses.

Once i get all the options i will consult a registered migration agent.

I would like some one you know who can help me out in this matter. I don't want to spend my time in studying the course with a length of 1 year or 1.5 year. I would like to utilize my studies which i did in 2009-10 to as much extent as possible and of course should be acceptable by immigration as 2 years study in IT.

Thanks,

Regards,

Sana

Satisfying the 2 year Australian study rule can be a very complex issue, especially when multiple courses are involved.

Based on the basic information in your post, Westly has given you important advice.

When combining qualifications to meet the 2 year rule, only Degree, Diploma or trade qualifications can be counted. As such the key issue may be “whether your previous studies were prerequisite to the course upon which you propose to rely”.

• 3 years later...

Hi there,

I would like to get some advice regarding the two year of study rule:

I am completing a Masters in IT through a Graduate Diploma in IT pathway. I started the graduate diploma on 29 Feb 2016 and will be completing the MIT course on the 27th of Oct 2017, because I took subjects during summer session, which shortened the duration of the MIT course.

Of course, all subjects completed in the GDIT program are transferred to the MIT program and are counted towards the completion of the MIT degree.

In summary:

• The Graduate Diploma is CRICOS registered as 52 weeks.
  • The MIT is CRICOS registered as 104 weeks.

Just want to make sure if I would be satisfying the 2 years Australia Study requirement to apply for the 485 visa at the end of the Masters?

Hope to hear from someone.

19 hours ago, wrussell said:

You are not asking the relevant  questions. 

May I sugget that you bite the bullet and consult a registered migration agent?

Thanks for your suggestion.

My question is simple:

I will be completing a 2 yrs Masters in IT at the end of October 2017. I started this course in February 2016. This course is registered 104 weeks in CRICOS. However I am completing the required 12 subjects earlier (before 24 months) only because I studied during summer semester which was optional. So in total I would have been studied and completed my degree in 20 months.

Will this satisfy the 2 years Australia Study requirement rule?

Edited by JonnyP