Newbie questions for choosing migration via Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa option

newuser

I have a Master's degree in Computer Science from a U.S. university and am working 7+ years as a Software Engineer. My occupation as

per http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf is Software Engineer 261313 All the work experience was acquired in the past 8 years. I am currently working in U.S. on work visa.

I am single and will be turning 33 in July 2014. I cannot claim points for Australian education, work experience, relative or arranged employment.

I understand as an independent unsponsored person I can now only “Express your Interest” to apply for a permanent visa. If Department of Immigration likes my score(65),

occupation and my IELTS English results(I have to take the test, but hope I can qualify for the Proficient band and get 10 points) they MIGHT invite me to apply for the visa.

I heard the DIAC skill assessment process requires overseas qualifications to be assessed to compare them to Australian standards. Australian Computer Society(http://www.acs.org.au/) issues a letter for that purpose. Then the qualifications are further assessed to see if they cover all the required study for a major in IT.

1. Is the Recognition Letter(additional charge of about 500) for the Bachelor and Master’s degree from ACS required in addition to skill assessment(costing 500) from ACS for the

Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa option? I think the skills assessment should cover both, but can anyone please clarify?

2. For evidence of employment, does one need to submit filed tax forms also? Or, would experience letters and pay-stubs suffice?

3. The pay-stubs would be print copies for two employers as they issued only a electronic copy of the pay-stub. Can using printed copies of pay-stubs cause any issues?

My Master's degree is from SUNY-Buffalo so I think it should be equal to a Bachelor's degree in Australia.

3. I was working as a graduate assistant(20 hours/week) during my graduate program for 2.5 years. I realize I need to have 2 years of experience to meet suitability criteria

for people who have Bachelor Degree or Higher with an ICT(Information and Communication Technology) Major. Page 12 of the Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf document at

http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/7319/Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf

mentions "Full-time work is considered to be 20 hours or more per week and must be stated in the reference." but I understand the document might not have been updated.

Will the 2.5 years be considered full time employment or pro-rated full time(meaning 1.25 years) as I was working only 20 hours/week?

4. I estimate the typical time frame for applications like mine seems to be about 2-3 years(skills assessment and IELTS 3 months, 3-4 months for clearance certificates, Express your Interest) from

the day you apply till you receive the approval of permanent residence? One migration agent mentioned that he can look into getting a priority officer appointed to expedite my case. How does this work? I did not think migration agents had any say in who is the case officer.

5. In the media, there is news about South-East Asians(Indians) being targeted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_against_Indians_in_Australia_controversy How much of this is correct and

should a newcomer be concerned about this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It seems you have done a lot of research. Which is good.

I can't answer all of your questions and suggest you take some professional advice from a registered migration agent. Go Matilda are highly regarded.

I would say 2-3 years would be excessive for a visa. More like 12 - 18 months if you are proactive.

Be aware that only post graduation work is included in the skills assessment.

If you google the occupation number it will tell you what is needed for the skills assessment.

I don't think there is a racism issue in Australia. There have been a couple of incidents. But they unfortunately happen everywhere. The area I live has in the last couple of years just started having Indian migrants arriving and they have been very welcomed. So no, I don't think you should be concerned.

One migration agent mentioned that he can look into getting a priority officer appointed to expedite my case. How does this work?

It does not work.

If the agent in question was a registered migration agent and you were so advised since the Decision Ready facility for RMAs was cancelled, you have grounds to complain.

It seems you have done a lot of research. Which is good.

I can't answer all of your questions and suggest you take some professional advice from a registered migration agent. Go Matilda are highly regarded.

I would say 2-3 years would be excessive for a visa. More like 12 - 18 months if you are proactive.

Be aware that only post graduation work is included in the skills assessment.

If you google the occupation number it will tell you what is needed for the skills assessment.

I don't think there is a racism issue in Australia. There have been a couple of incidents. But they unfortunately happen everywhere. The area I live has in the last couple of years just started having Indian migrants arriving and they have been very welcomed. So no, I don't think you should be concerned.

Thanks, I will check the agents from Go Matilda, though, I realize lot of people like me on this forum did it successfully on their own.

It does not work.

If the agent in question was a registered migration agent and you were so advised since the Decision Ready facility for RMAs was cancelled, you have grounds to complain.

Well, I was told that three days ago. I realize agents work closely with case officers for their clients so thought they may know some officers.

Hi there,

The biggest pitfall for 189 visa is your working experience points.

So make sure that when you do your skill assessment you also ask for advice on employment experience. I think you need to pay additional fee for the advice letter from the skill assessment but usually co will ask for this later on. Other things like ielts and degree is pretty straightforward.

I see that you've done your research well. I've seen many people apply without an agent and has done so successfully. As long as you're prrepared to read ljne by line and do your research, i think you shud be fine....

Be complete with your employment document. Experienced eeemployment means you must be PAID for it. So make sure you have your tax or salary slip handy.

You seem to have bee incorrectly advise about several issues. May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent to get on track?

Well, getting a priority agent for the case might be incorrect. But, what else is wrong? The time-frame is variable as a lot depends on the slots left in my occupation and need of the Department of Immigration.

Hi Devvi,

Thanks for your reply.

Hi there,

The biggest pitfall for 189 visa is your working experience points.

I did not understand this part. I thought people are are given 5, 10 or 15 points based on their years of employment. I see 20 hours of employment is enough as http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx mentions "Working at least 20 hours a week " which means my work as a graduate assistant might count for it.

So make sure that when you do your skill assessment you also ask for advice on employment experience. I think you need to pay additional fee for the advice letter from the skill assessment but usually co will ask for this later on. Other things like ielts and degree is pretty straightforward.

You mean ask for advice on employment experience from ACS?

Be complete with your employment document. Experienced eeemployment means you must be PAID for it. So make sure you have your tax or salary slip handy.

I have the salary slips. Sending the tax forms would be more cumbersome.

Hi,

In calculating work experience points, ensure that it's undertaken after you complete your degree that is deemed comparable to aussie degree. That's why you first critical point is getting you skill assessment. If the deem your degree to be comparable, then ur working experience can be considered.

I think either salary slip or tax proof is acceptable, plus reference letter from your company.

Normally the skill assessing body also provide service or advice regarding your working experience. Its safer to use their points instead of assuming yourself that your working experience is

Hi Devvi,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Normally the skill assessing body also provide service or advice regarding your working experience. Its safer to use their points instead of assuming yourself that your working experience is

I hear the Recognition Letter from ACS required is in ADDITION to skill assessment from ACS for the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa option. This means I have to pay fee for skills assessment AND another fee for recognition letter. Others tell me only skills assessment should be enough.

You need to check with the skill assessment body about the fee. Some is inclusive, some is an extra fee (depending on occupation code).

Basically skill assessment is the main thing. But sometimes CO MAY ask for advice on working experience. This is not always the case, but again, since I am quite risk averse on this migration issue, so I play it safe.

But it's your call.

You need to check with the skill assessment body about the fee. Some is inclusive, some is an extra fee (depending on occupation code).

Basically skill assessment is the main thing. But sometimes CO MAY ask for advice on working experience. This is not always the case, but again, since I am quite risk averse on this migration issue, so I play it safe.

But it's your call.

Thanks, the fees are separate for my occupation so if I need a recognition letter, it will be an additional charge. I will check with ACS, but I doubt they will respond.

Archived