Facebook Changes again

Petals

Notice Facebook is making changes again, always makes me wonder why, is it for us or is it for them. Its a bit of a worry but I do like the games.

I belong to a closed group on there with a group of people I have known since 2004 and its a big group and people write about their darkest thoughts on the group. However I do worry that it is facebook and the group is large so if there were any people who had infiltrated they would be able to find me on the net. I actually do prefer the anonymity of these types of forums to discuss the nitty gritty. Also its so hard writing a long message on Facebook. I know a lot of people use it but then there are a lot who are drifting away now and I wonder if its because there is change after change. The ads drive me bonkers. Also unlike a forum you post something looking for an answer and its lost in a mile of news feed unlike the forums here.

Have to thank the Admin for giving us this opportunity to use the forums as we all know that running a forum is an expensive deal. If we had no forums like this and only Facebook we would never meet up and that would be a shame.

Been on Facebook a bit and notice that they continue to make changes which makes me worry a bit about the privacy of the whole thing. I belong to a closed group of people on there and they put up their darkest moments and I am not too sure if they would be better discussing in a separate place on the web. I never put up much personal stuff unless its normal stuff on there. Also names are not anonymous so even if in a closed group you can be found on the Facebook site since they made changes recently. Not keen on that. It serves me well for my games, my children and my friends but just for banter I think.

Prefer forums such as this as they are public but we are anonymous if you know what I mean. - See more at: http://www.lifeinvictoria.com/forum/general-discussion/2251-morning-everyone.html#sthash.WM0N3UVp.dpuf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have created my own secret group now and added about half my friends (no particular reason why half, just not got round to adding the rest).

I feel a bit better knowing that pics etc will literally only be seen by my friends in that group and no more of this showing up in strangers news feeds because a friend 'liked' my pic!

Sad fact of life but anything on social media is not private regardless of what you think.

Saw a news article recently about a class action against FB or maybe Google that "private" messages were being regularly accessed without consent.

I have a FB account solely to belong to a group but never use it for anything else and it contains the minimum personal details possible.

Edit: it was FB

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25584286

Guest The Pom Queen

What I don't like about facebook is that anyone you add as a friend can see other posts you make in other groups. I joined a few personal health groups but I don't want to discuss my situation on there because everyone else will be able to read it. Whereas like Petals says on here we are anonymous. Plus I find a lot of people who may be moving to Australia or back to the UK don't want family and friends to know so come and post here instead, however, the way FB is going it will eventually close all the forums down. I suppose forums are like your little corner store being pushed out by the big boys.

Sad fact of life but anything on social media is not private regardless of what you think.

Saw a news article recently about a class action against FB or maybe Google that "private" messages were being regularly accessed without consent.

I have a FB account solely to belong to a group but never use it for anything else and it contains the minimum personal details possible.

Edit: it was FB

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25584286

Gmail also routinely scans your email, so it can target you with advertising - so I don't see the drama. Taking a risk based approach to social media is fine and whilst someone seeing your photographs or status updates that shouldn't is annoying, there is no tangible consequence.

Taking a risk based approach to social media is fine and whilst someone seeing your photographs or status updates that shouldn't is annoying, there is no tangible consequence.

that's okay if you are savvy but there are too many naive people out there who still don't realise that prospective employers, amongst others, scan profiles to see whether your "private" life fits their criteria.

that's okay if you are savvy but there are too many naive people out there who still don't realise that prospective employers, amongst others, scan profiles to see whether your "private" life fits their criteria.

This I'd say is minimal, compared the the employers who pay to have full access to LinkedIn profiles. Not saying it doesn't happen, but trawling Facebook would be a ridiculous waste of time for a HR dept.

This I'd say is minimal, compared the the employers who pay to have full access to LinkedIn profiles. Not saying it doesn't happen, but trawling Facebook would be a ridiculous waste of time for a HR dept.

Potential employers certainly do look up facebook profiles. It is very important for people to keep up to date with their privacy settings.

Having said that, nothing is truly private on the web.

I would say that LinkedIn is totally different in that it is more factual career stuff that is no different from the contents of your CV typically (mine certainly is) whereas FB is the "warts and all" life history that your idiot friends (okay I'm generalising) have plastered all sorts of crap on.

As for HR departments, wasteful but evidence suggests they do just that:

http://socialraise.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/how-employers-use-social-media-to-hire-employees/

however, the way FB is going it will eventually close all the forums down. I suppose forums are like your little corner store being pushed out by the big boys.

Always supported my corner shop and local post office when I can.

PIO is here to stay as long as there are those who want to emigrate. :biggrin:

As for HR departments, wasteful but evidence suggests they do just that:

http://socialraise.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/how-employers-use-social-media-to-hire-employees/

The example quoted is no different to a manager phoning a mate and asking "what is abz123 really like?" and using that as the basis for a decision, it does not point to Facebook being a formal part of the recruitment process.

The example quoted is no different to a manager phoning a mate and asking "what is abz123 really like?" and using that as the basis for a decision, it does not point to Facebook being a formal part of the recruitment process.

Facebook is not a formal part of the recruitment process of course!

However, more and more employers are looking informally at facebook profiles. Incriminating photographs and unwise comments have lost people the possibility of a job.

Therefore, it is very important to have strict privacy settings on fb and of course friends that do not share the said incriminating photographs anywhere else.

People can be less than cautious when posting photographs on fb, that they later regret. It happens all the time.

Those conversations do take place. I have scuppered previous employees of mine even getting an interview never mind a job offer and it has probably happened to me too.

No company is going to admit that a FB (or other social media) check is part of their formal recruitment process, but believe me, it happens...

Those conversations do take place. I have scuppered previous employees of mine even getting an interview never mind a job offer and it has probably happened to me too.

No company is going to admit that a FB (or other social media) check is part of their formal recruitment process, but believe me, it happens...

Of course it happens, but my point was the advice "don't be an idiot" doesn't just apply to your actions on Facebook. Being an idiot is likely to affect your employment prospects - on or offline. Facebook doesn't present any risk that isn't already there.

Of course it happens, but my point was the advice "don't be an idiot" doesn't just apply to your actions on Facebook. Being an idiot is likely to affect your employment prospects - on or offline. Facebook doesn't present any risk that isn't already there.

Not true.

The most hardworking and outstanding employees in the workplace have been let down by unwise entries in various social media. People can often behave like 'idiots' in their private lives and yet present a different image at work.

Employers are increasingly looking to social media to form a more rounded picture of applicants.

We have seen numerous cases where people have lost their jobs because of comments on FB and Twitter.Therefore, as said before, it is imperative to maintain high privacy controls on FB and other media.

I agree and facebook is ok but making a special group out of someone else i e a forum such as this is would be considered piracy in the business world. We should make sure we think before joining a group on Facebook which has originated from getting to know people on someone's forum, they put the time effort and make it free for us and if we do not like being used nor do forums. The way people are doing this at the drop of a hat will make forums like this disappear and then there will be no people to start groups with, why, because on Facebook who are the people, you never really get to know a lot of them, you think you do but you don't.

I agree and facebook is ok but making a special group out of someone else i e a forum such as this is would be considered piracy in the business world. We should make sure we think before joining a group on Facebook which has originated from getting to know people on someone's forum, they put the time effort and make it free for us and if we do not like being used nor do forums. The way people are doing this at the drop of a hat will make forums like this disappear and then there will be no people to start groups with, why, because on Facebook who are the people you never really get to know a lot of them, you think you do but you don't.

Facebook is slowly on the way out though amongst the younger generation. It will continue to appeal to the forty and overs, but teenagers and those in their twenties are already switching to different media.

Facebook is slowly on the way out though amongst the younger generation. It will continue to appeal to the forty and overs, but teenagers and those in their twenties are already switching to different media.

Again, in your opinion.

being an an idiot online has a far larger audience reach though

Guest The Pom Queen
I agree and facebook is ok but making a special group out of someone else i e a forum such as this is would be considered piracy in the business world. We should make sure we think before joining a group on Facebook which has originated from getting to know people on someone's forum, they put the time effort and make it free for us and if we do not like being used nor do forums. The way people are doing this at the drop of a hat will make forums like this disappear and then there will be no people to start groups with, why, because on Facebook who are the people, you never really get to know a lot of them, you think you do but you don't.

Petals this is very true, a few members on various forums have created a FB Group out of our forums and taken our membership. What annoys me is not really that they start the group but that they have the cheek to come and poach our members. People don't realise how much Rob and I spend on advertising each year, its eye watering, yet to be honest what's the point when people just come on and take members away. FB as hit us hard, whether forums will survive I don't know, I do know many that have gone for good in the last 12 months which is such a shame because not everyone wants or uses FB

young ones do use other sites but they tend to be country/area centric I believe and they still use Facebook and other international means of keeping in touch. I have been a member of Twitter since it first started and when it started it was very different to what it is today and I was amazed when people started discovering it. I thought to myself where have you been this has been around for yonks and now its become the latest thing, it will probably survive mainly for the news items etc. Facebook will survive because it caters for all ages and even though people drift away, curiosity always gets the better of them and they drift back.

However these are all mediums that have privacy issues and not much anonymity, my niece sent me a message once saying that someone was saying bad stuff about me on twitter, amazing as the way my twitter account is set up its supposed to be quite private. Anyway it was a hacker and this happens with these sites. Hackers ignore forums like this as they are not interesting and they cannot really do what they like to do. So its much safer to use the forums in a way.

Archived