June 2014 arrival

dingo34

Hi guys

My wife and I are moving to Canberra in June and are getting very excited. Can anyone recommend good temporary accomodation, which we would need for about 4 weeks. There are websites around, but a personal opinion is always handy.

Thanks in advance.

There's huge amounts of serviced apartments type accommodation around the Kingston area; it seems to be a favourite with government/diplomatic services/large corporates (that's where I was put up for the first two weeks after arriving) - so close to the centre but can be pricey. I know other new (corporate) arrivals who we're put up in Queanbeyan in motels - cheaper but maybe not so nice and a 25 min drive into town.

Thanks ABL275

We have found a nice place in Belconnen for a few months. I'm sure we will be comfortable there. I hear there are some great markets in the area.

Retail market not a proper farmers market, but the Capital Region Farmers Market rated the countries best is on every Saturday at EPIC which isn't far by car.

Thanks ABL275

We have found a nice place in Belconnen for a few months. I'm sure we will be comfortable there. I hear there are some great markets in the area.

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be fine in Belconnen; newish area with a good shopping centre and not to far away from EPIC (Exhibition Park In Canberra - I think) - good farmer's market every Saturday but get there early, and there's a big open air market in Hall (last suburb/first town out of Canberra on the Barton Highway) the first Sunday(?) in each month - enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Central Belconnen is a strange place - lots of grey buildings and not many people walking about. Make sure you sort out a car quite early as Belconnen is a 20 minute drive from Canberra CBD. Bring plenty of winter clothes if you're coming in June, Canberra is very cold in winter due to poorly insulated australian windows. We don't live too far away in a suburb of Gungahlin called Casey.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I moved just North of Belconnen almost a couple of years ago and we've been very happy here. The Westfields in Belconnen has everything you need and there's a good few restaurants. I particularly like it round the Lake, we've just started kayaking round there and sometimes visit the haha bar on a friday evening. There's a number of buses that go from Belconnen to the city, making it easy for you to get around when you first arrive. Though it's good to get a car, makes it much easier to get out and explore!

Good luck to you and your wife with the move and feel free to message me if we can help with any other questions you may have!

Tina

Central Belconnen is a strange place - lots of grey buildings and not many people walking about. Make sure you sort out a car quite early as Belconnen is a 20 minute drive from Canberra CBD. Bring plenty of winter clothes if you're coming in June, Canberra is very cold in winter due to poorly insulated australian windows. We don't live too far away in a suburb of Gungahlin called Casey.

Double and triple glazing available, 10 min drive not 20, and central Belconnen is business/govt bldgs only, so no surprises there.

My husband and I moved just North of Belconnen almost a couple of years ago and we've been very happy here. The Westfields in Belconnen has everything you need and there's a good few restaurants. I particularly like it round the Lake, we've just started kayaking round there and sometimes visit the haha bar on a friday evening. There's a number of buses that go from Belconnen to the city, making it easy for you to get around when you first arrive. Though it's good to get a car, makes it much easier to get out and explore!

Good luck to you and your wife with the move and feel free to message me if we can help with any other questions you may have!

Tina

Car or motorbike is mandatory for the ACT

• 3 weeks later...