189 visa points query - nurses

robley

Hello

I'm a district nurse hoping to emigrate to New South Wales on a 189 visa with my husband & 3 children.

I think I have the steps I need to complete (IELT's, ANMAC & AHPRA) organised however I'm concerned now I've looked closely at the points I need to obtain for this visa. Though I've been a nurse for over 15 years within the last 10 years, since having my children, I have worked part time (17.5 contracted hours per week), only working over 20 hours per week for 3 years during this period. Declaring this information dramatically lowers my overall points within the Skilled Employment category (down to 5 when I hoped it would be 15).

I know it's probably unlikely but I was wondering if there is any way of getting my years of skilled employment acknowledged for the application even though they are below 20 hours?

Any advice welcome! Reconsidering my decision not to use a migration agent at the moment...

Thank you in advance

Nicola

Not really sure if you can, however I applied with 60 points and was worried I wouldnt get an invitation but got one only days after submitting my eoi. Application sent and case officer has been allocated - just gotta do medicals so wont be long til our grant!

Hope this helps :-)

There is always the option of the 190 visa to make up the points.

For ANMC you require academic IELTS, but can use either academic of general for the visa application. Many people have had to sit it more than once to get the points that they require.

If DIBP do not accept your work experience as its less than 20 hrs, you will also loose your application fee, now with the costs of visas paying for each individual applicant it is alot of money to loose.

Good Luck with the IELTS hope you get the points you need.

Yes I had to resit my IELTS as I was 0.5 off an 8 for the academic (very frustrating) but managed to get 8 and over on the general.

I didnt claim points for experience as I have less than 3 years.

Just had a look on skill select and it says:

To claim points for skilled employment you must have, in the 10 years before you were invited to apply, at least 20 hours of paid work per week in your nominated skilled occupation and/or a closely related occupation.

In skilled employment for at least three but less than five years (of the past 10 years) - 5 points

So looks like you'll get 5 points but if in doubt may be worth emailing anmac or diac? What other points are you entitled to??

Thanks for clarifying. Will just claim the 5 points for 3 years work experience and get swotting for the academic IELT's. Reassuring to know you can always re-sit the general test if I don't make 8 on the academic. Looking a practice tests it looks harder than I thought!

Points I have are 25-age, 10 or 20 - Language, 5- employment, 15 - qualifications (poss extra points for my husband who is a graphic designer) so fingers crossed make those points to apply.

im booking to do general test in march , for diac points for visa . i wanted to do it in february but cant get the day off work, bummer , also some centres only do an academic test some months and not the general test. my advice would be to do ielts as soon as you can if you need to do it, as its valid for a couple of yrs . this is going to hold me up a month - which is a pain!

• 1 month later...
im booking to do general test in march , for diac points for visa . i wanted to do it in february but cant get the day off work, bummer , also some centres only do an academic test some months and not the general test. my advice would be to do ielts as soon as you can if you need to do it, as its valid for a couple of yrs . this is going to hold me up a month - which is a pain!

Hi :-)

Just wondering how you are getting on? I am looking to sit Ielets later this year for extra points for PR visa as i lose 5 in May when i turn 33:-( Just wondering why you have sat both academic and now general Ielets as im not sure which one i should sit (I already have registration with AHPRA, and wont need Ielets for ANMAC as modified assessment), your experience in this would be helpful .

If you do full assesment for anmac u need academic ielts..you dont as yours is modified...ppl may get band 7 on the academic ielts..fine for anmac but then want extra points for visa so go for general ielts to get 8..as an example. You only need to sit general ielts..I was in same situation. Good luck :)

Hi, I am in the very same situation as you are. I have worked as a paediatric nurse for 15 years but only been part time, due to children, over the last 10 years. We were going to go for the 190 visa but lost the 5 points for work experience and so therefore the 5 points for state nomination as you need the work experience for that. Nursing is the only skill that requires you to have 3 years of working at 20 weeks for 3 years. They do not accept 2 years of part time as 1 year of full time. So our only other option was to go for the 189 visa and get the extra 10 points through the IELTS test. I got the 7's I needed for ANMAC but now need to get all 8's. I will be doing it again in April for the third time!! I hope this is of some help to you. Good luck, Nat x

If you do full assesment for anmac u need academic ielts..you dont as yours is modified...ppl may get band 7 on the academic ielts..fine for anmac but then want extra points for visa so go for general ielts to get 8..as an example. You only need to sit general ielts..I was in same situation. Good luck :)

Thank you Lorna - do you know if i need to get 8's? - i am 5 points short, i will try to google too :-)

Hi, I am in the very same situation as you are. I have worked as a paediatric nurse for 15 years but only been part time, due to children, over the last 10 years. We were going to go for the 190 visa but lost the 5 points for work experience and so therefore the 5 points for state nomination as you need the work experience for that. Nursing is the only skill that requires you to have 3 years of working at 20 weeks for 3 years. They do not accept 2 years of part time as 1 year of full time. So our only other option was to go for the 189 visa and get the extra 10 points through the IELTS test. I got the 7's I needed for ANMAC but now need to get all 8's. I will be doing it again in April for the third time!! I hope this is of some help to you. Good luck, Nat x

thanks Nat - its all helpful :-)

Archived