Mods scooters 60s music

That's a blast from the past mate. Was sat outside a coffee shop at the weekend down by the beach. It's a place where a lot of flash cars and bikes come out for the weekend and do a cruise. See some great cars and bikes. Sunday morning a load of scooters came through. Must have been 30 of them, mostly vespas and Lambrettas, not the naff things they pass of as scooters these days.

They had the mirrors on, lots of chromework, couple with Union Jacks on the side and a lot of the guys and gals had mod gear on. Few parkas around. First time I've seen anything like that, it's just usually cars and bikes.

Don't know what the mod music scene in Perth is like but you have to search around for stuff like that. For all I know it could be great. There is a great and active blues club and scene, which is what I'm more into, so there may be a place where mods gather. Used to be a massive Who fan myself, seen them live more times than I care to remember, still have a program or two from there very old concerts and one of Keith Moons used drumsticks around somewhere.

Guest hoffer

Ive been looking into getting a 60's li for a while and when i decided to move here thought id do a bit of research. There seems to be a active club on the sunshine coast and sydney and there is the national scooter club as well. Seems a lot are bought in from vietnam with mixed success.

There are Motown and Soul nights at the Fly by Night in Perth http://flybynight.org/event/motown-soul-2/

Overall I found the music scene in Perth dire though - as Paul said there is plenty if you are into Folk/Blues/Roots but I'm a rocker ;)

Melbourne is definitely much better generally for gigs/clubs etc. plus the rest of the east coast is accessible.

I can't imagine anywhere in Australia being great for a 'scooter run' purely down to the great distances involved to get anywhere.

I don't know your circumstances and motivations for moving to Australia but do think carefully. Those people that settle down happily tend to be those without interests strongly tied to the UK or or happy to let them go in favour of an Australian lifestyle.

Before we migrated I spent my leisure time at gigs, festivals, mountain biking, I went snowboarding at least once a year, loads of weekends away.

I found in Perth that almost all stopped - and that which I could do was a pale imitation. Five years on my life was a pale limitation of what it had been in the UK (finances came into too) and we returned. With hindsight it should have been easy to see Perth did not offer the things which we as a family enjoy, I think Melbourne may have been better but actually the best place for us is the UK!

Before we migrated I spent my leisure time at gigs, festivals, mountain biking, I went snowboarding at least once a year, loads of weekends away

Some of the best mountain biking I've done has been out here. Loads of places to go. Fair enough, you would have struggled for a snowboard. Don't know why you struggled to find gigs and heavy music too, seems to be plenty of free ones around during summer and just about every music taste is catered for at on festival or another. I'm still into heavy music myself, much to my wife's chagrin. Got to see Nickelback with my youngest as there his favourite band. They were surprisingly good given all the bad press they get. Went to see The Cult play the whole of the Electric album a few months ago, one of the best concerts I've been to in years, it's still one of my favourite albums. The new stuff they played was really good too.

Ah well it's not going to suite everybody.

There are Motown and Soul nights at the Fly by Night in Perth http://flybynight.org/event/motown-soul-2/

Overall I found the music scene in Perth dire though - as Paul said there is plenty if you are into Folk/Blues/Roots but I'm a rocker ;)

Melbourne is definitely much better generally for gigs/clubs etc. plus the rest of the east coast is accessible.

I can't imagine anywhere in Australia being great for a 'scooter run' purely down to the great distances involved to get anywhere.

I don't know your circumstances and motivations for moving to Australia but do think carefully. Those people that settle down happily tend to be those without interests strongly tied to the UK or or happy to let them go in favour of an Australian lifestyle.

Before we migrated I spent my leisure time at gigs, festivals, mountain biking, I went snowboarding at least once a year, loads of weekends away.

I found in Perth that almost all stopped - and that which I could do was a pale imitation. Five years on my life was a pale limitation of what it had been in the UK (finances came into too) and we returned. With hindsight it should have been easy to see Perth did not offer the things which we as a family enjoy, I think Melbourne may have been better but actually the best place for us is the UK!

Pretty much agree. Social life far more variety in Uk. All those summer festivals within easy reach. The diverse London scene. I recall the last Mod revival of sorts in the 80s (has there been another since?)Tend to agree with Melbourne being the choice for the gig scene out here.

They exist....in the closet! Haha

THe only time I say more than 10 Mods at a time in Perth was when Paul Weller played in town.. Prolly same for Melbourne

I do see the occasional trendy scooter parked outside Leederville shops tho..

I do tend to cruise Melbourne a little bit but theres no real scene, maybe theres a Mod forum or something that has an Oz section...

Hmmmm speaking of which all this talk makes me wanna dust off some The WHo vinyl LPs!

They exist....in the closet! Haha

THe only time I say more than 10 Mods at a time in Perth was when Paul Weller played in town.. Prolly same for Melbourne

I do see the occasional trendy scooter parked outside Leederville shops tho..

I do tend to cruise Melbourne a little bit but theres no real scene, maybe theres a Mod forum or something that has an Oz section...

Hmmmm speaking of which all this talk makes me wanna dust off some The WHo vinyl LPs!

Did clock a few öld"mods in spirit anyway at The Who concert in Perth a few years back. Know the scooter you mean at Leederville.

Some of the best mountain biking I've done has been out here. Loads of places to go. Fair enough, you would have struggled for a snowboard. Don't know why you struggled to find gigs and heavy music too, seems to be plenty of free ones around during summer and just about every music taste is catered for at on festival or another. I'm still into heavy music myself, much to my wife's chagrin. Got to see Nickelback with my youngest as there his favourite band. They were surprisingly good given all the bad press they get. Went to see The Cult play the whole of the Electric album a few months ago, one of the best concerts I've been to in years, it's still one of my favourite albums. The new stuff they played was really good too.

Ah well it's not going to suite everybody.

We'll probably keep having these exchanges :)

I was at that Nickleback gig - I did go to gigs in Perth and festivals well Soundwave. I went to some excellent gigs - Stereophonics at Freo Arts Centre and Manics at a club in Perth are two stand outs but nothing like the quantity or variety of Scotland. There are pretty much no bands that play in Perth that won't be also touring the UK (The Cult Electric tour came here too - I didn't go, too many other gigs to choose from :)) but you can't say the same in reverse. Melbourne gets a lot more bands touring than Perth (& all the ones that come to Perth too)

As for MTB there are no mountains in Perth...I believe they are building a world championship course in Tassie but it's a bit far to go on a weekend - I have two world championship courses within an hours drive here (Glentress and Innerleithan) and within 2-3 hours drive Fort William and Cairngorm - now they are mountains :)

There was some ok 'off road' riding in the South West, a lot of the terrain is very sandy though elsewhere. Where did you go? Maybe we missed a trick - too late now but intrigued.

I honestly wasn't Perth bashing - you could be the poster boy for making the most of Australian life & my point was really you have to be prepared to do that and be willing to give up things that are important to you in the UK & alarm bells were ringing in my head for the OP.

Hello people, I am on way to Australia soon and I have a keen interest in the mod scene. Is there anyone who can possible tell me if this actually exists out there as this is very important to me? I hear Melbourne has the best music scene? Many thanks, Stu.

I was in sherrys and the face just off carnaby st last week .....some great gear .....

We'll probably keep having these exchanges :)

I was at that Nickleback gig - I did go to gigs in Perth and festivals well Soundwave. I went to some excellent gigs - Stereophonics at Freo Arts Centre and Manics at a club in Perth are two stand outs but nothing like the quantity or variety of Scotland. There are pretty much no bands that play in Perth that won't be also touring the UK (The Cult Electric tour came here too - I didn't go, too many other gigs to choose from :)) but you can't say the same in reverse. Melbourne gets a lot more bands touring than Perth (& all the ones that come to Perth too)

As for MTB there are no mountains in Perth...I believe they are building a world championship course in Tassie but it's a bit far to go on a weekend - I have two world championship courses within an hours drive here (Glentress and Innerleithan) and within 2-3 hours drive Fort William and Cairngorm - now they are mountains :)

There was some ok 'off road' riding in the South West, a lot of the terrain is very sandy though elsewhere. Where did you go? Maybe we missed a trick - too late now but intrigued.

I honestly wasn't Perth bashing - you could be the poster boy for making the most of Australian life & my point was really you have to be prepared to do that and be willing to give up things that are important to you in the UK & alarm bells were ringing in my head for the OP.

We will probably keep having these exchanges Lady R. Just by your posts and the things you like I'm amazed you didn't enjoy it and went back. I suppose if your youngster never settled and your hubby was iffy then those type of things wouldn't help. I've also read you had some health issues which can throw a spanner in the works. I honestly can't think of one thing I've had to give up that was important to me in the UK, so that's made it easy for us to settle.

I've found a really good mountain bike track that goes from near Burns Beach all the way to Yanchep National Park. Like you say it's not mountains but it's still a tough ride. Lot's of sandy bits and a few steepish climbs. There are some great tracks up around Mundaring way. I think one is called the goat farm. Not been there myself yet, don't seem to have too much time as we spend most of the free time doing watersports. Mountain and road biking I tend to get into for special events. We have a triathlon coming up soon so I'll have to get the cobwebs off the road bike and get into it.

I bought a decent mountain bike a few years ago as I was doing the Anaconda adventure race in Augusta. The mountain bike tracks round there are spectacular. Certainly not mountains compared to anything in Scotland but steep enough for me that's for sure.

I took part in a road bike race last year up in the hills and the hills on that were steep enough for me too. I biked once from Stockport over the Snake Pass back to my parents house in Derbyshire and the hills around Perth would be easily on par with that. Steep enough for me.

Hope your having a good time back in the UK and it turns out to be everything you expected. I'm happy to admit that Perths not for everyone.

Archived