Massive oversupply' of foreign labour is forcing British wages down

simmo

Mr Farage said that the construction sector had been badly hit by unskilled workers bringing down the wages of skilled workers. British workers in the industry are earning less than ten years ago but dealing with higher living costs, he said.

I think this line above from the article is spot on, it certainly applies to me as i am earning the same and sometimes less than 10 years ago but with many more costs.

To be fair Andy, I am not in the same trade but my wages until recently were lower than I was earning 7 or 8 years ago. I think it's a cost of living thing as well, although it's widely documented that migration affects the low waged more than any other section of society.

To be fair Andy, I am not in the same trade but my wages until recently were lower than I was earning 7 or 8 years ago. I think it's a cost of living thing as well, although it's widely documented that migration affects the low waged more than any other section of society.

I agree, i don't think migration is the sole reason wages have not gone up or gone down but in certain areas/circumstances i think it certainly has a big bearing.

I agree, i don't think migration is the sole reason wages have not gone up or gone down but in certain areas/circumstances i think it certainly has a big bearing.

No migration is not the sole reason. At times of high unemployment wages always stagnate and sometimes fall. I've been trough a couple of patches in the UK when it's been tough to get a job. Great if you are in a job, things get a bit cheaper, but if you're looking for one it's dire. migration must have some bearing on it though, can't just open borders up and not expect it to not have an effect.

Archived