Migration Agent Needed!

dh06111

My wife and I looked at the Student route with her studying in QLD but after reading other posts and information, I feel this may not be the best route as we hope to eventually gain PR in Oz. THe other option may be to apply for ACT nomination as my occupation is listed (Financial Investment Manager). I'd be keen to here from those who have moved to Canberra about your views on the area, job prospects for me and typical timescales for ACT nomination if possible?

Going over on a Student visa to gain PR would be the last resort, and a very expensive gamble.

If you are eligible for 190 visa this would be a better route to go - your wife can still go to University once you get there, and only have local fees to pay instead of international fees.

There is the option of applying for 190 visa while in Australia on the student visa, but ACT have criteria that must be met for State Nomination for people who are already in Australia.

There is a part of the forum for ACT.

As for time scales for 190 with ACT nomination - by time you get skills assessment & IELTS completed, state nomination and visa granted - you are looking at 6-12 months.

As for agents - Go Matilda has been recommended by many other PIO members and Alan Colette regularly posts on the forum. When chosing an agent make sure that the person dealing with your application is MARA registered.

https://www.mara.gov.au/

http://migrationagentreviews.com/australia-agent-reviews.html

Hi

thanks for your replies, just what I was looking for.

yes we were going to lead the application on my wife's name due to her superior skills!

sounds like there are several hoops to get through first though, I will have a read through the links and check it out.

thanks

ps what do these visas cost??

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
My wife and I looked at the Student route with her studying in QLD but after reading other posts and information, I feel this may not be the best route as we hope to eventually gain PR in Oz. THe other option may be to apply for ACT nomination as my occupation is listed (Financial Investment Manager). I'd be keen to here from those who have moved to Canberra about your views on the area, job prospects for me and typical timescales for ACT nomination if possible?

I just double checked your occupation on all the different state lists and ACT is right. Feel free to use this link which details ACT state requirements. http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.au/workspace/uploads/documents/190-skilled-nominated-guidelines-10-december-13.pdf Look out for what they call "financial capacity" this is something not many people look into before considering state sponsorship applications. Best to avoid any agencies that do not use a MARA agent, they're out there.

Edited by Ryan the wizard of oz

I just double checked your occupation on all the different state lists and ACT is right. Feel free to use this link which details ACT state requirements. http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.au/workspace/uploads/documents/190-skilled-nominated-guidelines-10-december-13.pdf Look out for what they call "financial capacity" this is something not many people look into before considering state sponsorship applications. Best to avoid any agencies that do not use a MARA agent, they're out there.

Thanks Ryan. I read over that and I think we'd be ok financially for longer than 3 months but I would need to do a bit more research to confirm this.

Any thoughts on the student visa?

yes we were going to lead the application on my wife's name due to her superior skills!

It is sometimes better to have the less skilled part as the primary visa applicant, because a pre-migration skills assessment is easier and less expensive to obtain and age, English language ability and work experience are factors.

You can expect the visa application charge to set you back $5000+, more if you have children. By the time you add a skills assessment fee, medical examination fees (English language test?) state sponsorship fee, travel costs, police clearances, supporting document costs, migration agent's professional fee and so on, you might be looking at $15000. Those medical practitioners (and other professionals) who have to negotiate an obstacle course that culminates in a clinical examination in Australia can easily invest this amount + on the mandatory pre-migration skills assessment that which (most, many - tick one) fail at their first attempt.

Have fun.