Which Visa for a family?

bazzala

Hi,

We have been pondering a move to Oz for a couple of years but have never found the time to do anything about it so this year we are going to attempt to do it.

My wife is a nurse, I work in HR and we have 3 kids. We would be looking at the Perth area.

Can anyone tell me which visa we should be applying for, and if we should source jobs first? I suspect my wife would find it easier than me to find a job, although there are opportunities with company I work for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Between yourselves you need to decide who should be main applicant, check out Immi.gov.au to see who scores the most points. It's usually the 189 or 190. I wouldn't advise a temp visa if you have children, the others are permanent residency ones and have more security. A lot of agents will give some initial free advice over the phone too so with checking them out, make sure they are Mara registered. I went to an expo downunderlive.com, worth going to get free advise too

Just going on your occupations - your wife would be better as the primary applicant, and visas 189 or 190 would be the ones to look at.

But your wife will need to be able to pass the points test and she will require the Academic IELTS before she can apply for a Skills assessment with ANMAC then registration with APHRA.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

The HR jobs market is lousy in Perth and about 20 years behind the UK. It works on a "who you know" basis and competence does not seem to come in to it.

There are lots of unemployed nurses in Perth as well, the jobs market for them is really tight. Many are hoping that when the new Fiona Stanley hospital opens the situation will improve.

However, local applicants with local experience, local qualifications and local friends will be first in line.

I would recommend you go to Sydney or Melbourne where I have heard that the jobs market is better for both nurses and HR people. I would steer well clear of Perth at the moment.

Defo 189, gives you the opportunity to look everywhere for employment.

We went to lots of expos and there is a big push for 457, but these aren't wise in my opinion for families with children as you have to pay for schooling (unless of course you can afford to).

Wow - just been looking at the cost of applying for these visas - for the 189 & 190 it will cost us £4,900 and that's without a visa agent!!

The 457 is a lot cheaper but we will have the school costs on top, and is only for 4 years.

Wow - just been looking at the cost of applying for these visas - for the 189 & 190 it will cost us £4,900 and that's without a visa agent!!

The 457 is a lot cheaper but we will have the school costs on top, and is only for 4 years.

This is an expensive process. The cost of visas is only a small fraction of the move. You also have medicals, ILETS, skills assessments, flights, shipping, short term accommodation, bond for long term accommodation, costs for setting the kids up in school which may include anything from uniforms to iPads. Then enough money to live - rent, bills, food, incidentals for at least 3 months while you look for work - some recommend 6 months. Oh and buy a car.

Yes a 457 is a lot cheaper. But it is only a temp visa. The last thread I have just posted on is to assist someone asking what the company will be responsible for if he loses his job on a 457. Answer. Just a flight.

Could be wrong but don't you have to be sponsored by an Australian company for a 457 visa?

Consequently the downside of a 457 is that if you lose your job, you then have 28 days to find some other company that will not only employ you but who will pick up and continue with your 457 sponsorship (this can be onerous for small companies) otherwise you must leave the country.

On the question of (state) schools when I enrolled my (then) 5-year old daughter a couple of years ago the situation was that it cost approx. $9,500 per annum (plus a $400 'processing fee') to put a child through state education and that immigrants were expected to pay a portion which varied by state.

If I remember correctly (open to challenges on this!!) most states set the contribution rate at 0% i.e. no charge, except NSW which set it at 30% and the ACT which set it at 100% (being in the ACT we sent our daughter to a private school as it was actually cheaper) - should be easy enough to check if you trawl the website for the state education department

I think I have been a little naive with regards the cost of this, i've already got to £15K for just visas, flights and shipping, so with everytihg else I can see it going up to £20-25K.

Like I said in my original post, the company I work have sent people over to Oz before and they help with relocation costs so I may explore this posibility, but am very aware that is a lot of competition.

Bit gutted to be honest as I can't see how we can afford this at the mo :(

Yes. But a transfer with the company would be a temp visa. Normally for up to 4 years. It has a number os restrictions including that you may, depending on the state have to pay school fees of several thousand per child. If you were to lose your job in that period you would have 90 days to find an alternative employer willing and able to sponsor and not all companies can.

If you go down this route you need to do it with the knowledge of the risks and knowing you will be returning home at the end of the visa

Thanks - so it's not possible to secure a job with my current company and apply for a 189 visa? But I could apply for the 189, move out there, then potentially still work for the same company.

It feels too risky to go out on a temporary visa, set up a house, kids school etc, and if the job didn't work out we'd have to come home.

Archived