Young people 'feel they have nothing to live for'

Guest Guest 47403

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jesus wept!:mad:i knew there was a reason we needed women,how DO they get the quilt in the quilt cover so quickly!:cute::wubclub:

I'll tell you a little secret. You get the inside top corners of the duvet cover and pin the duvet to them with clothes pegs. Then you pull the duvet through. Voila! Thirty seconds.

I'll tell you a little secret. You get the inside top corners of the duvet cover and pin the duvet to them with clothes pegs. Then you pull the duvet through. Voila! Thirty seconds.

Thank you! between you and Tink i should be able to complete the task much quicker in future,i wont tho!

Guest Guest 47403
Sorry Baz,ive done it again! how TF did this subject turn into this?! back on topic :)

:laugh: No worries mate.

Young people 'feel they have nothing to live for'

As many as three quarters of a million young people in the UK may feel that they have nothing to live for, a study for the Prince's Trust charity claims.

The trust says almost a third of long-term unemployed young people have contemplated taking their own lives.

Urgent action must be taken to prevent the young jobless becoming the young hopeless, it says.

The government commented that it was doing "everything possible" to help young people find work.

Last month, figures from the Office for National Statistics showed the UK unemployment rate had fallen to its lowest level since 2009, with the number of people out of work falling by 99,000 to 2.39 million in the three months to October.

'Devastating'

The Prince's Trust Macquarie Youth Index was based on interviews with 2,161 16 to 25-year-olds. Of these, 281 were classified as Neet (not in employment, education or training) and 166 of these Neets had been unemployed for over six months.

The report found 9% of all respondents agreed with the statement: "I have nothing to live for" and said if 9% of all youngsters felt the same, it would equate to some 751,230 young people feeling they had nothing to live for.

Among those respondents classified as Neet, the percentage of those agreeing with the statement rose to 21%.

The research found that long-term unemployed young people were more than twice as likely as their peers to have been prescribed anti-depressants.

One in three (32%) had contemplated suicide, while one in four (24%) had self-harmed.

The report found 40% of jobless young people had faced symptoms of mental illness, including suicidal thoughts, feelings of self-loathing and panic attacks, as a direct result of unemployment.

Three quarters of long-term unemployed young people (72%) did not have someone to confide in, the study found.

Martina Milburn, chief executive of the Prince's Trust, said: "Unemployment is proven to cause devastating, long-lasting mental health problems among young people.

"Thousands wake up every day believing that life isn't worth living, after struggling for years in the dole queue.

"More than 440,000 young people are facing long-term unemployment, and it is these young people that urgently need our help.

"If we fail to act, there is a real danger that these young people will become hopeless, as well as jobless."

Wage incentives

A spokesman for the Department for Work and Pension said the government was "doing everything possible" to help young people into work and that there were currently 106,000 fewer young people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance than there were in 2010.

"Through the youth contract, we've hugely increased the number of work experience placements and apprenticeships to give young people the support they need to find a job," the spokesman said.

"By offering employers wage incentives worth up to £2,275 we are helping businesses to take them on.

"The work programme has also helped more than 74,000 young people escape long-term unemployment and find lasting work."

The Prince's Trust was set up by Prince Charles in 1976 to help disadvantaged young people.

It supports 13 to 30 year-olds who are unemployed and those struggling at school and at risk of exclusion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25559089

I visited family in Brighton a couple of weeks back and last summer and pretty much every pub/eating house etc was staffed by young foreign people who are clearly getting work before young Brits, for me it's no wonder they feel they have nothing to live for, with no chance of getting work there is no future, i suppose it's down to the lazy young brits not wanting to work :SLEEP:

It's difficult isn't it?

When it suits their purposes the government slashes benefits and support for the young, and talks about trying to change a culture of generations of people happy to live on welfare.

Yet when people from other countries come and do service industry jobs to a higher standard than their UK counterparts the right then complains that migrants are in effect 'job blocking' and stopping young people getting on the career ladder.

Can it be both cases at the same time?

It's difficult isn't it?

When it suits their purposes the government slashes benefits and support for the young, and talks about trying to change a culture of generations of people happy to live on welfare.

Yet when people from other countries come and do service industry jobs to a higher standard than their UK counterparts the right then complains that migrants are in effect 'job blocking' and stopping young people getting on the career ladder.

I suppose you have proof of this then?

It's difficult isn't it?

And why "the right"? Typical political bullshit on pio yet again

I suppose you have proof of this then?

"After working in the catering industry for 16 years – many of those as a manager seeking to employ staff – I have come to the sad conclusion that many young people simply do not want to work.Of course they say they want a job. They send off job applications and turn up for interviews. But when it comes down to hard graft, they are simply not interested.

The truth is that young people think the state owes them a living.

Underpinning everything is a welfare state which creates a culture where no one worries whether they have a job or not because there’s always free money from the Government to fall back on.

Also, brought up in school and home environments where criticism is practically non-existent, when they face the tough, challenging world of work, they are unable to cope.

To hear them complain about the shortage of jobs you would think they are desperate to work, willing to walk over hot coals to get a job. However, nothing could be further from the truth.

During my career, I have interviewed and employed many young people. And it shames me to say this but it was often easier to teach English to foreign applicants than it is to try to instill the right work ethic in our own English-speaking youth."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2062504/UK-unemployment-Meet-British-bosses-say-foreign-workers-time.html

I visited family in Brighton a couple of weeks back and last summer and pretty much every pub/eating house etc was staffed by young foreign people who are clearly getting work before young Brits, for me it's no wonder they feel they have nothing to live for, with no chance of getting work there is no future, i suppose it's down to the lazy young brits not wanting to work :SLEEP:

My daughter is on a gap year this year and is working at a large country hotel which hosts big corporate events, weddings etc as well as having a general bar/restaurant. She usually works 15 hour shifts (she did one yesterday which started at 12 noon and finished at 3am and is back there this morning from 11 until whenever they've finished, probably 3am tomorrow). They are all young people and, given where we live, almost exclusively British.

They work for the minimum wage, which is fine, but every single month she and most of the others seem to be underpaid by at least £100 and every month they have to go to management to get it sorted out. This shouldn't happen as they are fingerprinted in and out, so they should be automatically paid the correct amount. They rarely ever get a break despite their wage being docked by the amount of time they should have off. They never get their tips despite service being added to the bills of the customers, but no one dares to question it because they're all on zero hour contracts and they think that if they make trouble they won't be given any further shifts, which is probably true.

My daughter will always question her pay, but never anything else. The company relies on these young people's naïveté (but also that zero hour contracts have very few employee rights) to enable them to treat them badly. They don't tend to moan about it, although it is obviously irritating, and they still go in day after day with a smile on their faces and are charming to the customers.

It's ok for my daughter - working there is a means to an end - she'll go to university in September with the invaluable experience under her belt, but there are people there who will still be there for years and, just because for whatever reason they can't aspire to anything greater, they should still be treated with fairness and respect.

I think most of the Europeans who come over to work are in the same position as my daughter in that they come for a certain period of time, to earn money and go again, so they're obviously more willing to put up with poor treatment because there's an end in sight. Is that why they're more attractive to employers?

I'm not for one minute saying that all employers are bad, there are many, mainly smaller business's who will always put their employees first, but there does seem to be a culture to get as much out of someone for as little as possible. If you treat someone with fairness and respect, that tends to be what you get back, along with loyalty.

"After working in the catering industry for 16 years – many of those as a manager seeking to employ staff – I have come to the sad conclusion that many young people simply do not want to work.Of course they say they want a job. They send off job applications and turn up for interviews. But when it comes down to hard graft, they are simply not interested.

Underpinning everything is a welfare state which creates a culture where no one worries whether they have a job or not because there’s always free money from the Government to fall back on.

Also, brought up in school and home environments where criticism is practically non-existent, when they face the tough, challenging world of work, they are unable to cope.

To hear them complain about the shortage of jobs you would think they are desperate to work, willing to walk over hot coals to get a job. However, nothing could be further from the truth.

During my career, I have interviewed and employed many young people. And it shames me to say this but it was often easier to teach English to foreign applicants than it is to try to instill the right work ethic in our own English-speaking youth."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2062504/UK-unemployment-Meet-British-bosses-say-foreign-workers-time.html

classic!! he's quoting an article from the Mail!!:laugh:

It's a public forum mate, you can always chose not to read if you can't handle an informed opinion that's different to your own:cool:

I was questioning your decision to bring politics into the post when there was no need, you don't have to be left or right to have an opinion, but obviously in your book you do.

Ok so 3 bosses from 3 years ago have that opinion, maybe they are money grabbing slugs looking to pay workers peanuts instead of a proper working wage so they can line their own pocket further?

Guest Guest 47403

If what your saying is true why do you think that employers give preference to foreign workers? It's not wages as there's a minimum wage which I'm guessing pub staff, waitresses etc are on.

I think migrants on minimum wage will be more motivated and therefore possibly better employee's, simply because the wages are higher than they're used to,if the job comes with accommodation then maybe more so again,nobodies fault,its just the way it is because of disparity in wages/standard of living across Europe,i guess one day that disparity will be a lot less than it is now,im assuming thats what the EU want in the end,how many years that will take tho?

Right,im off out to do a footy bet,tara!

Archived