First things to do on arrival with 2 year old

chubbs75

We are arriving this Sunday with our 2 year old on PR. I was hoping you can share your experience as to where to register him, eg. GP, Sure Start, Childcare Centre... I am not sure how they are called in Oz.

We are planning to go to Medicare on Monday.

Many thanks for all responses.

Nice part of the world, nice and cold in the winter.

so I would google medical centres in Bowral, one that bulk bills, once you have your Medicare card/number, go and register there, at least you will have a doctor if you need one. Take your red book with you so you can show the doctor what vaccinations etc he has had, they can then sort out what else he needs.

as for child care again google the area and maybe plan to go visit a few places when you get there.

Good luck.

You need to register with Medicare and Centrelink, normally its advised to leave these jobs until you have been on Aussie soil 4 or 5 days ,just to make sure your in the system. You can google where the nearest outlets are to you, then just walk in with Passports etc..

You dont need to register with a Dr ,you can walk in to any when you need them, its the Medicare cards you need to get.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

I'm with AJ, just chill for a couple of days.

Medicare, we found was best visited on Saturday mornings as it's shared office with Centrelink and way quieter then as the Centrelink side is all closed. Don't forget passports and proof of address etc will be needed, along with copy of visa or visa grant letter etc. IIRC we got our bank stuff sorted first (a few days after arriving) as this gave us the address proof required for Medicare. The lady at Medicare said not to panic if we needed to see a doc before we had the paperwork filled out as we'd be able to do that ok.

Just make a list of things to do and work your way through them.

I'd say priorities are

Bank

Proof of address (will be needed for lots of things, our bank gave us an introduction letter and a statement the day we want in to meet our account manager and collect our bank cards etc).

Medicare

Phone (at least a PAYG sim)

Then look at things like driving licence, your child's things you need to organise and other things.

Archived