Britons ready to welcome migrants from Bulgaria and Romania

simmo

Apparently:unsure:

[h=1]poll finds[/h] Ipsos Mori survey shows 72% of people aged 35-44 support rights of east European workers to live and work in UK

Romanians and Bulgarians coming to the UK on New Year's Day will be welcomed by more than two-thirds of Britons if they integrate and work hard, a new poll suggests ahead of restrictions on them being lifted.

In spite of a surge of anti-immigrant rhetoric from leading politicians, British people are happy to accept migrants from the east of Europe who learn English, get a job, pay taxes and become part of their local community.

As many as 68% of those asked said they would be happy for migrants to come on those terms. That sentiment was particularly strong among people aged between 35 and 44, with 72% supporting their right to come to live and work in the UK.

The Ipsos Mori poll for the thinktank British Future comes in the wake of an intervention in the Observer by the president of Bulgaria, Rosen Plevneliev, who warned the British government not to abandon its traditional tolerance of immigrants in favour of isolation.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/29/bulgaria-romania-migrants-uk-poll

well... yeahhhh:wacko:

I wonder what lives these people have had to leave behind in order to move over to the UK. If they have the strength and the willpower to work then good on them and I wish them well. I do wonder though if the government ever realise the UK is a small island though! The issue I have with the UK is the focus on benefits and how easily it is for people to survive without working if they see fit. Coming from Blackpool I lived in a town full of people claiming benefits and most the people I know who grew up with parents on benefits went on to claim benefits themselves. It is just too easy a cycle.

Working in West Yorks we had many kids from families on full benefits.

Very few of them were migrant families.

Migrants find it difficult to actually get the benefits in the first place, my visa had written on it very clearly 'no recourse to public funds'.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/faq_index_benefits/faq_benefits_entitlement_if_coming_from_abroad.htm

Maybe these new migrants will take the menial jobs that the British born job seekers feel are beneath them?

You feel cleaning toilets is beneath you? Others may feel its an opportunity to further their options to learn new skills and progress in the future.

Migrants find it difficult to actually get the benefits in the first place, my visa had written on it very clearly 'no recourse to public funds'.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/faq_index_benefits/faq_benefits_entitlement_if_coming_from_abroad.htm

Maybe these new migrants will take the menial jobs that the British born job seekers feel are beneath them?

You feel cleaning toilets is beneath you? Others may feel its an opportunity to further their options to learn new skills and progress in the future.

Where there is muck there is money is what I was told.

The issue I have with the UK is the focus on benefits and how easily it is for people to survive without working if they see fit. Coming from Blackpool I lived in a town full of people claiming benefits and most the people I know who grew up with parents on benefits went on to claim benefits themselves. It is just too easy a cycle.

So they are similar to the 'dole bludger' culture over here.

How are you going to deal with that issue?

From your link

However, if you're from a country in the European Economic Area (EEA), the rules are different. EEA nationals have the right not to be treated worse than a British citizen.

A lot of businesses recruit direct from other countries or don't directly employ school leavers, migrants will of course be more motivated when they arrive to a place where their incomes even on minimum wage will be much better than they are used to. What's the answer? abandon the millions of home grown unemployed youth and low skilled and just keep on bringing in migrants?

I keep hearing this "migrants take jobs that Brits don't want" and i'm sure some of this is true but I don't believe letting in more migrants is the answer.

From your link

Cherry picking what you want from a link to further an argument is bound to backfire.

If you had the attention span to read just one one more paragraph you would have found the following.....

In practice, even if you come from one of these countries, you won't automatically get benefits. For example, if you’re an EEA jobseeker who has never worked in the UK, you won't be able to claim benefits like Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's allowance, Child Benefit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction. But if you're an EEA worker who has been employed in the UK before becoming unemployed, you might be able to claim benefits whilst you’re looking for new work. This depends on which EEA country you're from and how long you've worked in the UK.

Cherry picking what you want from a link to further an argument is bound to backfire.

If you had the attention span to read just one one more paragraph you would have found the following.....

In practice, even if you come from one of these countries, you won't automatically get benefits. For example, if you’re an EEA jobseeker who has never worked in the UK, you won't be able to claim benefits like Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's allowance, Child Benefit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction. But if you're an EEA worker who has been employed in the UK before becoming unemployed, you might be able to claim benefits whilst you’re looking for new work. This depends on which EEA country you're from and how long you've worked in the UK.

And if you had the inclination you would find that restrictions only apply for 3 months or if you can prove "habitual residency" (1-3 months).

New figures showed there were 407,000 non-UK nationals receiving the hand-outs last year, a rise of more than 118,000 since 2008, with the total bill running to hundreds of millions of pounds a year.

Data from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), released under the Freedom of Information Act, showed a sharp rise in the number of claims by immigrants from eastern European countries.

Just 12,600 were claiming work benefits in 2008 but this increased nearly fourfold to just under 50,000 last year, when people from Poland and seven other eastern European countries which joined the EU in 2004 gained full access to the benefits system.

Disclosure of the government figures comes amid growing concern that Britain will face a new wave of eastern European immigration with the relaxation of border controls on Romanian and Bulgarian workers on January 1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10271855/Number-of-foreign-nationals-on-benefits-soars-to-400000.html

Passed 4 ' encampments ' yesterday . These people are working , anyone who thinks we can sustain this kind of immigration needs to use some kind of lubricant . They won't get their head out of their arse without it. .

Where where these

And if you had the inclination you would find that restrictions only apply for 3 months or if you can prove "habitual residency" (1-3 months).

I don't care enough to quote newspaper articles. They all have an agenda its lucky in this case that you found one that matches yours.

I don't care enough to quote newspaper articles. They all have an agenda its lucky in this case that you found one that matches yours.

what if the newspaper article was directly quoting the Department for Work and Pensions? would that make a difference?

probably not....

The Telegraph article on your link. You have to read to the end to find the more positive elements of the article. The paper can then say it is balanced whilst hoping most readers wont get that far.

:wink:

“Still, it is worth noting that this group made up less than 1 per cent of total working age benefit claims in February 2012, while accounting for 2 per cent of the UK population according to 2011 Census data.”

not sure if the comparisons are valid TBH

If the govt actively encouraged people into work, no matter what the job then perhaps there wouldn't be all the menial jobs left empty in the UK for the Europeans to do. Even education is laughed at these days, a lot of people leave school unable to read and write and think of school as a punishment. The Europeans have a healthier attitude to education and view it as a valuable resource (well the Europeans I have come across). My sister and partner have lived on benefits and when I discuss them getting work (14 years on the dole) there is always a reason why they cant. The pay isn't enough, the jobs are not paid well enough, I wouldn't be seen dead doing that or I would prefer to go to uni and get a well paid job (well in the 6 years this has been said this said sibling hasn't even resat her gcse's to gain entry to a foundation class). I understand the UK and its resources will be stretched but also remember a large proportion of these Europeans will come into the UK and pay tax on their earnings and will contribute more financially to England than what they claim in benefits.

Archived