Good places to live Nth of Brisbane

stoobydale

Hi, we are looking to move over during Jan or early Feb. Work part all sorted just waiting for confirmation on the 457 visa. From online searches we think we would like to live in Petrie but we also like the look of all the neighbouring suburbs. We need a good school for our 12 year old daughter (13 in march) any advice would be much appreciated.

Petrie, Strathpine, Mango Hill, North Lakes, Redclife, Kallangur, any advice from people living in or close to these areas would be great.

Cheers,

Stu.

We are in Petrie but moving soon to a new house in Narangba. Petrie is nice but it depends what you want. The parks and riverside are lovely and it is not too far from the main shopping centres, swimming pool at Lawnton and it is like living in a small village.

The whole area from Lawnton to Narangba,/Burpengary and the Redcliffe peninsula is going up in value quite a bit and when the new train line to Kippa Ring is finished Redcliffe/Scarborough/Rothwell have already started to skyrocket. A new uni is might be built in Petrie

Many people will say DO NOT look at Deception Bay but that too is becoming a nicer area, although slowly.

Personally, I hate North Lakes. Its like a massive Barratt estate and you need a GPS to get out of the place but its probably not a bad place to start off and see how it goes

Hi we live in Redcliffe and have been here for 6 years in January. Daughters are nearly 16 and 13 now. I personally have found the schools on the Peninsula good and hear good things about all of the high schools on the Peninsula (some have the good and bad as many schools do). I can't comment on any schools in Petrie area though. Probably suggest checking out their websites and then visiting them when you get here. We were lucky than someone at the bank recommended a primary school and we weren't disappointed. Good luck, if you need any further info, hopefully I can help. Elena

Thanks again for the replys. It all helps. We are opening up our search a little bit more now but until we get there it will be quite difficult. The other thing is we are very keen on the old Queenslander type houses, but until I find out how much take home pay I will be getting we don't have a clue what we can afford.

Cheers,

Stu.

We are Moving back to McDowell- bridgeman downs area soon which is a good area, Albany creek also good altho we only used the swimming pool there and parks! Good luck ! I am due to return to work in strathpine but prefer to live a little nearer the city rather than further out .

Thanks again for the info. Bridgeman Downs does look very nice indeed. Maybe it's the closeness to the city but the prices look to be a bit highter as well. It will all get a bit more urgent now as we have just had confirmation of our 457 visa.

Cheers,

Stu.

Guest Guest16631

......a little out of date.......but most still hold true...

......http://www.connectnow.com.au/blog/?p=54

.....or.....http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-council/council-information-and-rates/brisbane-suburbs/

If your daughter is 13 inMarch 2014 then she will be in Year 8 (first year of high school). We live in Eatons Hill (not far from Albany Creek) and the state school for this area, Albany Creek, has a reasonable reputation. However, we have chosen to send our twin boys to Wavell Heights High School when they start Year 8 in a few weeks because it has a greater choice of subjects (eg 3 languages v 1 language at Albany Creek). It also scores above average in all subject areas at NAPLAN.

I have heard good things of Narangba Valley State High School but I think you need to be living in catchment to stand a chance of getting in. I have friends who moved to Narangba from Hong Kong specifically to be able to live on a large block but also so that their kids could attend the Narangba state schools. On the grape vine I have heard that the other high schools in the areas you are considering (Bray Park, Bracken Ridge, Dakabin, Deception and Pine Rivers State High School (Strathpine)) are pretty rough and not very high achieving academically. If you want to see how the high schools rank on the north side check out the Myschool website http://www.myschool.edu.au/ which will give you NAPLAN (similar to UK SATS) results for each school.

Petrie and Narangba are both good areas but (and I risk being called a snob!) you have to be careful north of Brisbane not to end up in Bogan (aka Chav) territory. The best thing that you can do is find a short term let around the northside and then go explore areas. Personally I would go with the advice of the poster who is returning to Bridgeman Downs and base yourself south of Strathpine if you want to live in a good family friendly area.

Like BoganBear I find Northlakes too built up and reminiscent of large souless UK housing estates. I think that in years to come Northlakes will lose its appeal when the hastily thrown up houses start to look run down.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers

Hi Loopylu, thanks very much for your advice it is much appreciated. If finding an area to live isn't hard enough, add in the school bit and it becomes a nightmare. The areas we are looking at just get bigger and bigger. After one of the earlier posts we started looking at Bridgeman Downs and the surrounding areas and then last night we found a great looking house in Deception Bay. The info on the school through the myschool edu website was not too good though. I'm starting to think it's almost impossible to do it from this side of the world. Hopefully we should be over there Mid Feb and we can have a drive around the places that we think we like, although the places are becoming more and more. I would like to get Jaz settled into a school and not move here again until she has finished if at all possible. All i want is a decent sized workshop (shed) lol.

Congratulations on getting the 457!

Murrumba Downs has a new high school which started in 2012, so will have classes for just the third year starting later this month (28 Jan return to school, I believe), so it has small numbers with lots of new equipment. Murrumba Downs community swimming pool is beside, along with the primary school. Shopping includes Coles (supermarket) and smaller shops in Murrumba Downs and Woolworths (supermarket) and other shops in Kallangur (2 minutes' drive from the school), as well as the major shopping centre of Westfield at North Lakes (5 minutes' drive). The highway is a few minutes' drive to go north or south.

There are a number of residential estates in Murrumba Downs, including Goodwood, Castle Hill, Riverwood; all of which would offer rentals to get you started. Search of 'real estate agents' via Google for rental agents in the area and try www.realestate.com.au/rentals for areas you want to consider. After the floods of 3 years ago, be aware of how high or low a house sits in the street, for keeping dry and getting breezes on hot, steamy days (& nights).

Hope this helps.

If you arrive by Sat 18 Jan, we have a bbq/get-together for migrants at North Lakes - 2.30 til you have to go - at the Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard (behind Bounty Boulevard School). BYO everything: food, drinks, chairs. About 8 families turn up, so not too big to have a chat to everyone and hopefully make friends. We hold them every 3 months. PM me if you want more info.

Pat

Hi PatW, thanks for the info. No chance of being there by the 18th unfortunately. Notice just going in at work today and house on market this week. Mid Feb will be the earliest I think. Will PM you regarding the meet up as it is something that we will be interested in. The company has employed someone to help us find somewhere to live so I hope that they can give us some valuable local knowledge.

Cheers,

Stu.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stu

We moved out last Feb and now live in Bridgeman Downs and we really like it here. The easy option would be North Lakes given the number of Brits living there, most of our friends live in this area. There is an organised BBQ every couple of months in North Lakes and it is a good way to get to meet people. If you are interested just let me know.

With regard to schools, are you going private or state? My kids go to St Pauls in Bald Hills and we are very pleased with it.

Shefg

Thanks again for the reply's, all info much appreciated.

shefg: We think that we will be looking at state schools for our youngest. We looked online at North Lakes and are a little unsure. Although initially we were quite set on Petrie, we now think that Narangba might be the place to look at. Our house over here won't be sold before we come over so we will probably be renting for quite a while. The first month is on the company in Brisbane centre but we will have 2-3 weeks to go looking for a home.

We are difinately interested in the BBQ's and will attend as soon as we are sorted out.

Cheers,

Stu.

P.S. 19th Feb is the big day. Manchester to Brisbane via Dubai.

We land Brisbane 12/2/14 and very interested in north suburbs-lakes BBQ!

Kids going to Mcdowall School as last time we used it we were very happy. Not thought about high schools yet as depends on cash flow and how our kids are doing obviously . The choice tho is almost overwhelming for high school!

We arrive from Newcastle , holiday rental house booked and will be looking for rental as I said before in Bridgeman-mcdowall-Albany areas - ish . We lived in Bridgeman last trip and love it there.

Be great to try and get to a BBQ.

We are in healthcare with 2 kiddies, any healthcare workers in northern suburbs? X

No wonder you're a 'shivering pom' with the temperatures Newcastle's had! (Sister-in-law lives in South Shields.) Next get-together/bbq will be Saturday 18 April at the same place: Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes 4509 (behind Bounty Boulevard School). One of the families that comes to the get-together lives in Bridgeman Downs. PM me if you want me to ask if she'd like to get in touch (they have 2 children: boy & girl, in junior school).

Well done for getting the initial rental booked. You may like to check http://www.realestate.com.au/rentals and select your preferred area/s to see what's available at what price.

What kind of health care?

Today's temperature was 30C with showers (and warm rain) going down to 23C tonight (that'll be a touch steamy).

Good luck for the final few weeks and your travelling.

Hi! We are moving to brisbane in August/sept this year so that my eldest daughter can start year ten. We are looking at the northern suburbs for the airport and closer to the coast but want a good train line for the city. I have 2 daughters aged 12 and 14. We have a fair bit of general info but want to put the question out there to people who have done a similar thing. Does any body have any advice on a good secondary school, non fee paying preferably and a good suburb? Have been told about clay field, Albany creek, ascot Hamilton , (although the last 2 bit expensive )i fancy redcliffe but am getting mixed reviews. Is there a train line going in there soon? We will rent to start and then buy but obviously need to land near a good school. Anyone have any experience of Wavell heights? Any other suggestions? I know brisbane a little, but not much about the north side. Completely terrified and excited at the same time so would appreciate the warts and all info!! Thanks

Hi! We are moving to brisbane in August/sept this year so that my eldest daughter can start year ten. We are looking at the northern suburbs for the airport and closer to the coast but want a good train line for the city. I have 2 daughters aged 12 and 14. We have a fair bit of general info but want to put the question out there to people who have done a similar thing. Does any body have any advice on a good secondary school, non fee paying preferably and a good suburb? Have been told about clay field, Albany creek, ascot Hamilton , (although the last 2 bit expensive )i fancy redcliffe but am getting mixed reviews. Is there a train line going in there soon? We will rent to start and then buy but obviously need to land near a good school. Anyone have any experience of Wavell heights? Any other suggestions? I know brisbane a little, but not much about the north side. Completely terrified and excited at the same time so would appreciate the warts and all info!! Thanks

Wavell heights is a nice looking area and close to Chermside which is a major shopping Centre. I live in Wooloowin a bit closer to the city which is nice, maybe check at Nundah and Kedron too? imagine similar prices to wavell heights. Wooloowin is ideal for the train, I live near the station and within 15 mins ride can be in the city, and couple stops more to south bank. I fully recommend buying on a train line if you don't want to have designated drivers all the time for meals out etc!

PS Northside is the best side :wink:

Archived