References in Resume

jyotikhtr

Dear All,

I am interested to know few basic things to how and who to include in our list of references in the resume, keeping in mind of Australian job market.

I have few doubts. I might sound like an idiot to you but I do not want to take any chances :unsure: and want to be well equipped before starting the job hunt.

- How many references should we include ? Are two sufficient ?

- Can a person who knows us but has not worked with us be our referee ?

- Will it be effective to have a US customer our referee ?

- Should we give personal email ID or work email ID ?

- Should we give work phone or mobile phone ?

Lastly, is there any format for putting references in our resume (as per the likings of the Aussies).

Regards.

A resume does not normally include references.

Usually if the employer likea the resume, they will first interview you and then if they like you after the interview they will request you to provide referees at that point.

Hi Parleycross,

Yes, that's the normal trend. Since, I would be new to Australia and I do have local references (ex colleagues) who are settled there, I guess listing out their names would benefit me.

Am I thinking the right way ?

Regards.

I've called overseas references before, so don't let geography prevent you from providing the most relevant references. I'd include both telephone (and mobile if possible) and email, simply because time differences may mean needing to send an email to arrange a time to telephone. I'd check with your references which contact details will be easiest to reach them at.

Your references should be able to speak about your work, so should be people you've worked with. I always ask for at least 3 references, including 2 supervisors/managers you reported to since these are best able to talk about the quality of your work, your work habits, etc. A customer can also be a useful reference depending on what types of roles you're applying for (e.g. sales, service support, project management, etc.)

Edited by MaggieMay24

I've called overseas references before, so don't let geography prevent you from providing the most relevant references. I'd include both telephone (and mobile if possible) and email, simply because time differences may mean needing to send an email to arrange a time to telephone. I'd check with your references which contact details will be easiest to reach them at.

Your references should be able to speak about your work, so should be people you've worked with. I always ask for at least 3 references, including 2 supervisors/managers you reported to since these are best able to talk about the quality of your work, your work habits, etc. A customer can also be a useful reference depending on what types of roles you're applying for (e.g. sales, service support, project management, etc.)

Many thanks Maggie for the super informative reply.

Is there any format you or HRs prefer ? I might be being overcautious but do not want to take chances :).

Regards.

If you're providing your reference details, a simple page listing their info, something like the following:

John Doe

Operations Manager

ABC Company (if they have also moved on from where you worked, I'd add in brackets the previous company so HR knows which part of your experience they'll provide a reference for

Phone: 0409 123 456

Email: john.doe@abc.com

Having a reference letter can also be good, but I still prefer to speak to the referee. If you have reference letters, be prepared that a prospective employer may tell you they will call the referee to confirm the details of the reference letter.

And ALWAYS confirm with your referees that they will be willing and able to provide you a reference. I had a job applicant recently who provided reference details for his previous employer who had gone out of business. When I asked if he had more recent contact details for the person, he didn't. Um, so how do you think I'm supposed to call them (and really this said a lot about the candidate who didn't seem to think this was a problem).

If you're providing your reference details, a simple page listing their info, something like the following:

John Doe

Operations Manager

ABC Company (if they have also moved on from where you worked, I'd add in brackets the previous company so HR knows which part of your experience they'll provide a reference for

Phone: 0409 123 456

Email: john.doe@abc.com

Having a reference letter can also be good, but I still prefer to speak to the referee. If you have reference letters, be prepared that a prospective employer may tell you they will call the referee to confirm the details of the reference letter.

And ALWAYS confirm with your referees that they will be willing and able to provide you a reference. I had a job applicant recently who provided reference details for his previous employer who had gone out of business. When I asked if he had more recent contact details for the person, he didn't. Um, so how do you think I'm supposed to call them (and really this said a lot about the candidate who didn't seem to think this was a problem).

Many thanks Maggie, this certainly helps me out. I will plan things accordingly.

Regards.