What would the equivalent salary of AU$150k-$200k be in London?

Guest spreadingwings

Guest spreadingwings

Hi guys

For those who've lived in both countries, please let me know what the UK salary would need to be to match the buying power of $150k-$200k in Melbourne or Sydney.

Thanks

Jason

If you are after a straight conversion just jump on a currency convertor however if you are getting a cost of living etc it will be completely different. Salaries in excess of 60-70k GBP are few and far between from what I have seen but depends on what you do and how your job translates.

Well that is quite a big range, but you would probably want say GBP65-85k? Or something like that.

. Salaries in excess of 60-70k GBP are few and far between from what I have seen but depends on what you do and how your job translates.

No they are not, they are perfectly common in London.

Guest spreadingwings

Thanks Jen. Yeah, it's cost of living that I'm interested in. 60k GBP seems relatively low (though I agree that I don't see many jobs offering more).

To compare:

UK

Salary of 60k = 3,480 per month after tax

Mortgage of 300k (with 10% deposit) = 1,700 repayment per month

Remaining income = 1,780 per month

AUS

Salary of $150k = $8,691 per month after tax

Mortgage of $600k (with 10% deposit) = $4,300 per month

Remaining income = $4,391 per month

My concern here is that (in the AUS scenario), even if I had to spend $2,391 per month on remaining income, I'm saving $2,000 per month. The same isn't going to happen with a UK salary, right? [unless I'm looking at the 80k-100k range].

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Jen. Yeah, it's cost of living that I'm interested in. 60k GBP seems relatively low (though I agree that I don't see many jobs offering more).

To compare:

UK

Salary of 60k = 3,480 per month after tax

Mortgage of 300k (with 10% deposit) = 1,700 repayment per month

Remaining income = 1,780 per month

AUS

Salary of $150k = $8,691 per month after tax

Mortgage of $600k (with 10% deposit) = $4,300 per month

Remaining income = $4,391 per month

My concern here is that (in the AUS scenario), even if I had to spend $2,391 per month on remaining income, I'm saving $2,000 per month. The same isn't going to happen with a UK salary, right? [unless I'm looking at the 80k-100k range].

Like I said it depends on your industry but I wouldn't expect the equivalent pay in the UK that you get here. My industry is almost half of what I get paid here in Aus. Cost of Living is going to be much of a muchness as food is generally cheaper but things like rental costs are higher.

It really depends on the job. I'm in IT, and the wages in both are about equal using current exchange rates. If yours is similar, you would be looking at over 100,000 pounds, which is a pretty decent whack. Maybe not for Chelsea, but you should find somewhere nice.

Archived