Cost of fees when buying a house?

gtdave

Im house-hunting in Perth at the moment and was wondering if anyone could advise on the cost of fees when buying a house?

My broker says to allow approx, 7-8k but I dont know how he's come up with this figure and it seems a bit high.

I know I will have to pay for termite and structural surveys which will cost $500-600 each.

Ive no idea how much a conveyancing solicitor will cost but im guessing somewhere in the region of $2k-$3k.

My lender is Keystart so I wont have to pay LMI.

Does anyone know of any other costs?

Im house-hunting in Perth at the moment and was wondering if anyone could advise on the cost of fees when buying a house?

My broker says to allow approx, 7-8k but I dont know how he's come up with this figure and it seems a bit high.

I know I will have to pay for termite and structural surveys which will cost $500-600 each.

Ive no idea how much a conveyancing solicitor will cost but im guessing somewhere in the region of $2k-$3k.

My lender is Keystart so I wont have to pay LMI.

Does anyone know of any other costs?

Stamp duty is the big one.

BB

Yeah, in Victoria if you dont have a big deposit (I think 25%) you have to pay a compulsary mortgage insurance fee (its thousands of dollars) in case you default.

I think this policy applies across Australia but Im not sure.....its not applicable if you have a decent deposit but would have cost us around $20k (they add it to the mortgage but thats hardly the point)

We paid approx $1700 in legal fees, plus stamp duty. There were also all the fees associated with the mortgage (which your bank will be able to advise you). The stamp duty is the killer but the amount depends on how much you are paying for the house and whether or not you are entitled to the First Homebuyers Grant or not. Conveyancers do tend to be negotiable as to their fees.

I'm a First Time Buyer, so Stamp Duty won't be applicable. Also, I won't have to pay the lenders mortgage insurance as I'm going with Keystart who are government-backed.

Still don't see where the Broker is ccoming up with $7-8k.

Stamp duty depends on the price of the house you buy, not whether or not you are a first time buyer. We were first time buyers in Australia but still had to pay stamp duty.

I'm a First Time Buyer, so Stamp Duty won't be applicable. Also, I won't have to pay the lenders mortgage insurance as I'm going with Keystart who are government-backed.

Still don't see where the Broker is ccoming up with $7-8k.

The broker is probably trying to rip you off

try another one and see how much that comes out at

• 3 weeks later...

If you buy under $500k then you wont have to pay stamp duty.

I found the brokers always err on the side of caution when advising you how much you'll need for 'fees'. Ours said allow $5k, but we didn't need anywhere near that much.

As a guide this is what we paid a year ago for a purchase price of $420k:

Settlement Fee $950

Landgate registration transfer $250

Enquiry Fees $309.24

Then you also have to cover the water rates and council rates that may have already been paid by the previous owner, our settlement agent overestimated these as well, but we paid $306 for water and $506 for council rates (you have to pay up until the end of the year which is July).

The only other thing we paid for was a pest inspection, this was $187.

We also had a bit to put towards LMI, but as you've already stated you won't have this, then you need your deposit (obviously!)

So all in we paid $2,508.24 in various fees and costs to settle.

Archived