Partner Visa 309/100 - processing time

apenny89

Hey everyone,

I applied for my partner visa in the UK in July and I have completed all necessary information (medicals, police checks, etc) without any problems. The only correspondence I've heard from my C/O is some smaller documents being returned (birthday cards, receipts, etc) and the receipt for payment. It was acknowledged as being processed in July. I am a British national. Any ideas on how much longer it normally takes from anyone who has been in a similar situation?

Really appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

The usual timeframe give by CO is 8-9 months but people have been receiving them around the 7-8 month mark in recent times. This is not a given though.

Did you not get an email from your CO at the beginning when a/he was assigned your case? They usually send an intro email with wait time, when to take medical etc.

I applied for the same visa at the end of August. In the letter from my CO (sent by email) it stated a 8-9 months processing time - in the same letter that told me to do my police check/meds after [xxx] date. You should have also been sent the same/similar letter?

Apart from having documents returned to me, this is the only correspondence I've had from my CO, and I don't expect to have any more until visa is granted! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eshaitan

Hey,

I put my visa in in June 2013 at Australia house, London. Within a couple of days I got a reply asking for medical, police checks etc which I returned within a couple of weeks. Same situation as you partner visa and I am English, so low risk.

The waiting time is 8-9 months and this has not changed. After the first 5 months waiting started to email my case officer every 6 weeks or so and the waiting times have not changed. In Decemeber 2013 I have been told February by my case officer but no exact date yet so would think yours will be done feb/march.

As I understand it you join the queue the day you first put in an application so its purely a waiting game, there is no way really to jump the queue. Its annoying as in the UK to get my Australian wife the right to stay and work for 5 years took only 3 weeks and was a quarter of the price! Not too long left anyway :)

I applied in London on May 20th for De Facto Partner Visa and was told 8-9 months, so should hear back in the next few weeks I hope. Does anyone know of the likelihood of getting the subclass 100 straight away? I'm pretty confident in the evidence we provided to support 3 years of cohabiting etc. and I read somewhere that it is possible to get subclass 100 straight away, but does anyone know of it happening often, or does everyone need to do 2 years on the 309?

Awol - if you meet the requirements for the 100 that's hopefully what you'll get.

Plenty of people go straight on to it, myself included. I think it's 3 years and/or having a child(ren ) together.

Thats encouraging snifter, thanks. I'm counting on it as i'm hoping to start a mature aged apprenticeship and really don't want to have to wait 2 years.

Hey Awol

I my visa was lodged 21st May with VF in London. I've been living with my partner for 4.5 years and I emailed in December and was told I've been assessed for the 100.

Im also counting on it as I really want to apply for a grad diploma. The deadline for applicants is the end of January soo fingers crossed the grants start happening in the next few weeks. Obviously if it's meant to be, it will be, but it's definitely a hope!

I just got an email saying its ready to be granted, as i'm in Australia and I applied from outside of Australia, I have to leave for 3 working days and then return. Once i'm out i guess i'll get an email saying what kind of visa it is... so close now! So it took 7 months 20 days.

I just got an email saying its ready to be granted, as i'm in Australia and I applied from outside of Australia, I have to leave for 3 working days and then return. Once i'm out i guess i'll get an email saying what kind of visa it is... so close now! So it took 7 months 20 days.

Hi Awol

do you mind me asking how long your CO has given you to get out for your grant? Im a few weeks behind you as to when I lodged my application and only just got back from NZ (just! A right royal grilling at immigration).

so wish I had applied onshore! Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

cheers & congratulations!!

Hi Awol

do you mind me asking how long your CO has given you to get out for your grant? Im a few weeks behind you as to when I lodged my application and only just got back from NZ (just! A right royal grilling at immigration).

so wish I had applied onshore! Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

cheers & congratulations!!

You get a year from the date of your police check or medical, whichever is done sooner. So if they were done 6 months ago and you get your visa grant now, you'd have about 6 months to enter Aus to validate. If it was 9 months ago you did them, you'll be down to about 3 months. There will be info in your visa grant letter telling you the dates.

You get a year from the date of your police check or medical, whichever is done sooner. So if they were done 6 months ago and you get your visa grant now, you'd have about 6 months to enter Aus to validate. If it was 9 months ago you did them, you'll be down to about 3 months. There will be info in your visa grant letter telling you the dates.

Thank you. I was just wondering if they give you just a weeks notice or something for the grant ... Need to arrange to be offshore you see

Congratulations Awol! Thats really great. I bet you are excited to get offahore now. Let us know how you get on! Good luck

Thank you. I was just wondering if they give you just a weeks notice or something for the grant ... Need to arrange to be offshore you see

Yes, they give you notice. They will email you to inform you so you can arrange to go offshore for 3 working days. There is a decent window, don't worry.

Cool, thanks. Thought I had just a week or something!! You're being very helpful do chance another question! Have you ever come across applicants delaying their exit for the grant by a month or more or do they need to grant within a certain timescale? Thanks again

Cool, thanks. Thought I had just a week or something!! You're being very helpful do chance another question! Have you ever come across applicants delaying their exit for the grant by a month or more or do they need to grant within a certain timescale? Thanks again

I would speak to your CO to confirm that this would be ok, there must be some people who maybe working and need to give a little more notice than a few days notice for a 'holiday'. BizLarker, where did you apply?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey,

I put my visa in in June 2013 at Australia house, London. Within a couple of days I got a reply asking for medical, police checks etc which I returned within a couple of weeks. Same situation as you partner visa and I am English, so low risk.

The waiting time is 8-9 months and this has not changed. After the first 5 months waiting started to email my case officer every 6 weeks or so and the waiting times have not changed. In Decemeber 2013 I have been told February by my case officer but no exact date yet so would think yours will be done feb/march.

As I understand it you join the queue the day you first put in an application so its purely a waiting game, there is no way really to jump the queue. Its annoying as in the UK to get my Australian wife the right to stay and work for 5 years took only 3 weeks and was a quarter of the price! Not too long left anyway :)

Hi Eshaitan, have you heard anything further on your grant? Getting twitchy! Cheers

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone

I submitted my application on 2nd April and heard from my CO today. He was checking some details to see if I would be eligible for sub100 instead of sub309. This was the first we had heard from anyone since our submission. I submitted a decision ready application - medical, police checks, form 80 etc. I am aware the waiting time is 8-9mths but I was wondering if anyone in a similar position got a quicker result?

I have to give 3 months notice at my place of work so I'm getting a bit concerned that by the time a visa is granted and I can go, my medical and police checks will be almost out of date. Has anyone else submitted a 'decision ready' application and found the process a little speedier? Thanks!

Hi everyone

I submitted my application on 2nd April and heard from my CO today. He was checking some details to see if I would be eligible for sub100 instead of sub309. This was the first we had heard from anyone since our submission. I submitted a decision ready application - medical, police checks, form 80 etc. I am aware the waiting time is 8-9mths but I was wondering if anyone in a similar position got a quicker result?

I have to give 3 months notice at my place of work so I'm getting a bit concerned that by the time a visa is granted and I can go, my medical and police checks will be almost out of date. Has anyone else submitted a 'decision ready' application and found the process a little speedier? Thanks!

Submitting medical and police check for a off shore partner visa does not help speed up the application that I am aware of. There is a specific reason they ask you to wait to do these around 3 months after lodging to allow enough time the other end after grant before they expire.

If front loading helped speed up an application everyone would be doing it probably ;) I think you are in the queue and will get your grant in due course in the timeframe given. I'd work to the 8-9 months if it were me.

Archived