To be or not to be a ping ponger

jasepom

Being a ping ponger is a growing trend and in this economic uncertainty not always a smart thing to do. You spend 1000's of pounds getting to live the aussie dream, only having those nagging doubts in the back of your mind. So what should you do ? Well throw yourself into making friends and settling into the way of life is a good start. Remembering that you have a great opportunity to have family over to visit and your only 24 hours away from blighty. As my sister always says, you can always visit England but Australia does have its lifestyle benefits.

If you do find it tough, don't give up. You're just as likely to land a job here than anywhere else. And its always helpful to be flexible in what you do. But then again, don't worry if you think you don't fit it. I remember thinking the aussies never get the English humour, but there's plenty of poms around to get your fix of sarcasm if you want that.

Cheshire -> Melbourne -> Yorkshire -> Melbourne again.

Equally, you could throw yourself into living in fabulous Britain which has a whole different lifestyle (better, even, for some) going for it and go to Australia for holidays. Once you've moved, the Curse of the Expat is likely always to be shadowing you. I'm more of a best opportunity for the moment kinda gal.

I agree with Quoll, for some (like us) ping ponging has worked well and has never been a mistake. Each move you learn more about yourself and what you want from life. And what suits you brilliantly now may not always suit for ever.

Been back in Oz 2 years now and none of my family have been to visit this time. Plus it's at least 2-3 days travelling not to mention darned expensive to go back.

Your sentence 'you can always visit England but Australia does have its lifestyle benefits' may well be true for some people, but for others the opposite is true: You can always visit Australia but England does have it's lifestyle benefits.

Being a ping ponger is a growing trend and in this economic uncertainty not always a smart thing to do. You spend 1000's of pounds getting to live the aussie dream, only having those nagging doubts in the back of your mind. So what should you do ? Well throw yourself into making friends and settling into the way of life is a good start. Remembering that you have a great opportunity to have family over to visit and your only 24 hours away from blighty. As my sister always says, you can always visit England but Australia does have its lifestyle benefits.

If you do find it tough, don't give up. You're just as likely to land a job here than anywhere else. And its always helpful to be flexible in what you do. But then again, don't worry if you think you don't fit it. I remember thinking the aussies never get the English humour, but there's plenty of poms around to get your fix of sarcasm if you want that.

Cheshire -> Melbourne -> Yorkshire -> Melbourne again.

True , in some respects jase .....the weather I will give you that one ( up to 25c anyway ) ....lifestyle ( beg to differ, but I wouldn't argue with you ) .....where the u.k wins hands down is its geography , and access to Europe .

plus everything is so close here ......I can be in some of the great cities of the world within 3 hours

Archived