When to register with a migration agent?

Clair McIntosh

Hi

I am an accountant who is looking to move to Oz with my OH and 5 year old son from the UK.

I was just looking for some advice as to when to register with a migration agent.

I will be sitting my IELTS so that I can get my skills assessed with ICAA. I assume that I don't need an agent until I can confirm that I can apply for a visa or do agents deal with this and is it perhaps quicker to do this through an agent?

Thanks in advance

Clair

A lot of agencies offer free initial assessments and will let you know your eligibility and an opinion of the best pathway to choose. In my opinion everyone should do this before starting as there's no obligations, nothing to lose and could potentially save a lot of time, money and hassle.

Many people successfully make applications without agents as well, it's not mandatory, but you're best placed to determine whether you require one or not.

All the best,

There is no requirement to use an agent, if your application is straightforward and you feel confident on doing it yourself, you likely will not need an agent. It is worth running your case past an agent in case they notice any issues with your application, i.e. medical or character issues.

Your application will not be processed any faster if you have an agent.

An accountant will need the academic IELTS - once you have completed the skills assessment - the rest is quite straightforward.

Hi

I am an accountant who is looking to move to Oz with my OH and 5 year old son from the UK.

I was just looking for some advice as to when to register with a migration agent.

I will be sitting my IELTS so that I can get my skills assessed with ICAA. I assume that I don't need an agent until I can confirm that I can apply for a visa or do agents deal with this and is it perhaps quicker to do this through an agent?

Thanks in advance

Clair

If you are planning to do these steps yourself, then why not do the application yourself as well... many people go it alone. The complication in your case could be around the child's father, who you don't mention. Unless he gives permission, you may need some help from a family lawyer.

Hello Clair.

As with many types of professional advice you can do the research and form filling yourself.

Or you can reduce the risk of an adverse outcome, and let an advisor walk you through the steps needed to achieve visa grant.

I'd usually ask intending migrants whether they would complete and submit a tax return unassisted. If the answer to that is no it is probably best to engage a professional to assist with your visa application.

But as you are an accountant that is perhaps not a good analogy to use. :biggrin:

As to whether an advisor can lead to a quicker outcome: yes, if your application stalls at any stage of the process for any reason agents with experience will know where to go. And if your agent is also in Australia they will receive hard copy documentation several days sooner than if sent to the UK - the migration skills assessments issued by the ICAA (for example) are sent by post.

As to when you should open discussions with a migration advisor: I'd be doing it now, while you are contemplating strategy and timelines for a move to Australia.

Good luck!

PS. Am looking at an ICAA migration skills assessment application for a Go Matilda Visas client this afternoon - and in so doing am reminded that there is an Express processing service available only to migration agents.

This might not be necessary for you (Clair), but for applicants who are closing in on a key date (eg a birthday when required points under the GSM points test reduce) this can be another reason to use a migration agent.

If you are planning to do these steps yourself, then why not do the application yourself as well... many people go it alone. The complication in your case could be around the child's father, who you don't mention. Unless he gives permission, you may need some help from a family lawyer.

I think OH was mentioned, I'm guessing that could be daddy?

PS. Am looking at an ICAA migration skills assessment application for a Go Matilda Visas client this afternoon - and in so doing am reminded that there is an Express processing service available only to migration agents.

This might not be necessary for you (Clair), but for applicants who are closing in on a key date (eg a birthday when required points under the GSM points test reduce) this can be another reason to use a migration agent.

Beat me to it.

The Institute has a tiered payment structure, which enables you to choose the appropriate cost based on your desired processing time.

Assessment Fees Standard Fast Track Express (Migration Agent only)

and then there are DR applications.

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

Yes my husband is the dad, think its the way I worded it!

I think I will have a look at agents just now. The tax return analogy is quite good as I would probably advise someone that if they are not 100% sure of what they are doing to go to someone who does know!

Thanks again

Clair

Archived