Which partner visa to apply?

rim

Hi all,

my issue is a bit complicated. I met my boyfriend online and we are in committed relationship. Want to be together, however parents does not agree for some reasons. If i could call him to Australia then there is possibility that my parents can agree for our marriage. But the problem is I dont know which visa should my boyfriend apply for as we just met once in our 3 years relationship. Could someone help me to find the appropriate visa for my partner. I am a permanent resident of Australia. I and my boyfriend are of Indian origin. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

To get a partner visa - including a prosective marriage visa - you need to have statements from at least two people who have met you both and can vouch for the genuineness of your relationship. If that is a problem, one or other of you will have to travel to meet the other and say hello to enough people to get the two statements.

Yes, we both are over 18. And coming from the country like India, I want my parents' consent as well on the matter of my marriage. As we did not meet each other more than one time, is this can be a problem to get partner visa?

You do not meet the partner visa requirements, at least not from my understanding of them.

Have you read the requirements for a de facto/partner visa?

It's possible you could get a PMV. Research that one.

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

I am still struggling!!

My boyfriend went to an agent to ask about the tourist visa and he gave the negative response. But did not give enough reasons for saying NO. Don't know why but the agent did not sound interested. Now you guys are my hope. I have few questions.

What are the requirements such as the savings in his account and work documents. Do I need to provide the Govt. any security bond? Should I sponsor him or he can get the tourist visa on his own? If we could get married while he is on his tourist visa? Possibilities of making tourist visa application a success?

Please please please help me. This tourist visa is the only hope.

Many thanks

Rim

Do you mean a working holiday visa? Is it an option from his country?

You can't sponsor him on a partner visa that I can see as from what you've said you don't meet the requirements as a de facto couple.

If you want to explore the prospective marriage visa then do so. You would then lodge an on shore partner visa application once married.

I don't know if you can marry in Aus with him on a tourist visa and then have him remain in Aus to get the partner visa. That is what the PMV is for I'd think.

Dear Snifter, I really appreciate your quick response.

Though working holiday visa for australia is allowed for Italians but my boyfriend is indian living there from last 4 years. I am thinking of normal tourist visa that is why I asked if there is possibility of him getting married to me on tourist visa. So can he get a normal tourist visa? The agent my boyfriend met with, said if his tourist visa application would get refused then it would be really hard for him to get any other visa.

Many thanks for the support you giving me.

Regards

rim

Dear Snifter, I really appreciate your quick response.

Though working holiday visa for australia is allowed for Italians but my boyfriend is indian living there from last 4 years. I am thinking of normal tourist visa that is why I asked if there is possibility of him getting married to me on tourist visa. So can he get a normal tourist visa? The agent my boyfriend met with, said if his tourist visa application would get refused then it would be really hard for him to get any other visa.

Many thanks for the support you giving me.

Regards

rim

It's not that simple.

If you are planning to marry and then want your boyfriend (who will then be your husband) to remain in Australia with you you need to explore the PMV route. This is an off shore application and then you could marry in Aus. Once married you would then lodge an on shore partner visa application as I understand it. Both these visas cost in the thousands of dollars. You will have to research the exact requirements for him on this application. All the info is on the Aus immi site.

I am not sure you can marry with him only on a tourist visa. Even if you can, I don't think you can have him remain in Aus to apply for a partner visa. You will have to research this carefully as I don't know much about the getting married on a tourist visa thing.

The prospective marriage visa is there for a reason I am sure. If you plan to marry, look into this option as it is the one people generally use.

Archived