Skype Call with a recruitment consultant - What to expect?

path2aus

Hello All,

I have been aggressively applying for IT jobs in Adelaide. It has been really tough. Not that easy to get through. I have gotten a Skype meeting setup with a recruitment consultant from a big IT recruitment agency in SA. I am not sure what to expect. I have spoken with lots of them in the US but I am really nervous and confused as to what to expect on this call. If someone has done this already, can you please shed some light on the same? It will be really helpful.

Thanks.

I wouldn't be worried mate, it should be much more relaxed than an actual interview with a company that you are looking to join. Hopefully pretty casual and a good chance to build rapport with the consultant - get on with him/her and you stand a good chance of them signing your praises / promoting your skills and personality to their clients.

Make sure you get their agreement that they will run client names past you first before sending your cv anywhere, you don't want them punting it out to all and sundry - but the market is tight, so the likelihood is that should you get on well, they will start to talk to potential clients about you and your background without revealing your name to gauge interest etc.

Re the call - keep it casual, don't come across as needy or desperate. They will probably ask you to talk through your background - remember to highlight achievements etc, anything that sets you apart from the competition. A big hurdle I am finding at the moment is 'lack of local experience' - I've heard it even in IT circles, ridiculous quite frankly but in the current climate people are ultra-cautious - so I would discuss this head on and explain why lack of a network in SA will not be a problem because...if you've worked abroad or away before, mention examples of how you overcame this. Essentially you want to give the recruiter the ammo so that they can use your examples when they are 'selling' you and what you can bring to the party to their contacts out there.

To sum up - keep it casual, don't be nervous. Your objective is to build rapport and prove you are a better candidate than anyone else they may have on their books - and get them excited enough to pick the phone up to their contacts after they have spoken to you. Be clear about what you are looking for in terms role, size & culture of company etc.

That'll be $50 please.

Just kidding - best of British to you!!

If it is not for a specific position you applied for the recruiter will go through your cv/background to get a deeper understanding of what you have done and what you are looking for. Relax, this is more of a friendly chat than an interview. Make sure you let him/her know what you want and not want to do as to not waste time later on. This is also a good time to ask about how to improve your resume and taylor it for the Australian market.

Best of luck!

Archived