Private health insurance in uk

Pam W

Hi I have always had private health insurance here(33 years) but I want to return to uk next year and wondered if anyone knows how it compares. Many thanks

I was with bupa, paid for by my work. When I got cancer, they paid for everything except the first 100 pound each year. It was fantastic. Nothing like the crappy oz policies you get. Don't know how much it cost though.

Same here, my husbands company paid for us to have private health cover in the UK via Bupa, I wouldn't pay for it in the UK out of my own pocket tbh as the NHs (depending on where you live ie post code lottery) is excellent and free. But if I was to have it, bupa would be first choice.

Hi I have always had private health insurance here(33 years) but I want to return to uk next year and wondered if anyone knows how it compares. Many thanks

It's not going to be worse. In Australia you pay heaps for insurance and you still pay heaps for any treatment. Plus, if you actually get sick you will lose your job and no longer be able to afford private health insurance.

But in the UK you don't actually need insurance - the NHS will cover treatment and, in most cases, private insurers will use the same hospitals and the same doctors. The only benefit is that you can jump queues for elective treatment.

Thankyou both for responding its certainly food for thought.i will investigate bupa too. I have had private health insurance here for years and still pay a fortune so I am certainly used to paying for health.i am worried about post code lottery issue as I will be returning to north of Uk and not impressed listening to my relatives stories.

We " belong " in the North East and I can honestly say ,we lived back there between 2001 and 2006 that we had no problem what so ever with the national health

my hubby had a hip replacement there waited 12 months as he did here in Oz and there was honestly no diference

in fact because it was his third hip replacement he was kept in hospital for two weeks in his own room to ensure all was well

YOu often only hear the horror stories about both NHS and Medicare ( we don't have private cover ) but in both countries we have had no problems

Hubby was treated in a BUPA hospital under the NHS as well as they often use their facilities depending on the consultant

Archived